Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That nut-job in Iran bans foreign language.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PT737SWA
    Here in Texas the official language will be Spanish before long.
    then so be it, democracy is supposed to serve the majority eh? Or is it to serve the white, english speaking people who are afraid of other cultures?

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
      then so be it, democracy is supposed to serve the majority eh? Or is it to serve the white, english speaking people who are afraid of other cultures?
      I have no problem with democracy. What I do have a problem with is non-English speaking illegal aliens taking advantage of our resources by not paying taxes. Then their kids fill our schools and refuse to learn and speak English. This in turn slows the pace of learning for everyone else because the teacher has to "dumb-down" the lesson to make it easier to understand. I know this from experience because my wife teaches high school.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Well, I don't know how things work in the New World, but here in Old Europe, most countries as a whole have official languages, even though it might be accent heavy. Now, the US is a country as well, and English is still spoken by the large majority, so logic would suggest that English should be the official language of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
          So logic would suggest that English should be the official language of the US.
          I agree. When the massive flood of immigrants came over in the late 19th and early 20th century, we didn't "not want to offend them by making them speak our language [/boohoo]". They didn't have a choice. They came to America, and they learned the language. I can't understand why it's different for people who come from south of the border, especially illegals.

Comment

Then their kids fill our schools and refuse to learn and speak English. This in turn slows the pace of learning for everyone else because the teacher has to "dumb-down" the lesson to make it easier to understand. I know this from experience because my wife teaches high school.
            Or...the kids take advantage of the learning system and do all they can in school so they will be sucessful and have the life their parent's could never give them. That happens too.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
              Or...the kids take advantage of the learning system and do all they can in school so they will be sucessful and have the life their parent's could never give them. That happens too.
              I agree, that does happen sometimes. That's great when it does.
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

I have no problem with democracy. What I do have a problem with is non-English speaking illegal aliens taking advantage of our resources by not paying taxes. Then their kids fill our schools and refuse to learn and speak English. This in turn slows the pace of learning for everyone else because the teacher has to "dumb-down" the lesson to make it easier to understand. I know this from experience because my wife teaches high school.
                How would you like it, if you were'nt "smart" to follow the normal pace. And the teacher doesnt want to "slow the pace" and all by yourself, you'll be left behind. Is that what it should be for these kids ? I think its good the teacher do what she needs to do. She's smart. She think of the others. "Let's all help each other"
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Most people will tell you that English is one of the hardest languages to learn. Also once you are an adult it's harder to learn foreign languages. Put that on top of 2 or 3 minumum wage jobs, and it's pretty damn hard.
                  But this is kind of off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                    Most people will tell you that English is one of the hardest languages to learn.
                    Then those people have no idea. Sue, pronounciation can be a b!tch (see "The"), but otoh, you need less words than in other languages, e.g. "the" again, which equals to around 5 different words in Germany, or "you", another word that equals to around 5 words in Germany.
                    But yes, getting OT.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                      Then those people have no idea. Sue, pronounciation can be a b!tch (see "The"), but otoh, you need less words than in other languages, e.g. "the" again, which equals to around 5 different words in Germany, or "you", another word that equals to around 5 words in Germany.
                      But yes, getting OT.
                      Yeah, German does seem a bit intimidating to me, but I do believe that the Romance languages (ie: French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese) are a bit easier to learn. They seem to have less exceptions to rules, for one.... but English wins in terms of easier verb conjugations and non-gender nouns.

Comment

Working...
                      X