Is New Zealand an Australian country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is New Zealand an Australian country?

Normally any Island state located next to a continent is referred to as being part of that continent, does this apply to New Zealand as well if not, then why? the same can be said of Cuba which is closest to North America, Jamaica too but they are never called North American countries, but are identified with the region they belong to, just as New Zealand is reffered to as beloning to Oceania region and not Australia.

The only country on the continent of Australia is...Australia. So no, New Zealand does officially not belong to the continent of Australia.
    greetings,
    Philip

Comment

So, if you don't count NZ as part of Australia, then of which continent is NZ part then?

Comment

The huge Ice Island (Greenland) is located far far away from Scandinavia, but still belongs to Denmark. (I think it got 5 representatives from greenland, sitting at "Folketinget". Greenland "laws" goes under the danish laws.
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

@ DAL767-400ER:
          To which continent do you count all those islands in the middle of the pacific ocean? Who says a country has to belong to a continent?

I looked it up now:
          Australia once was part of the supercontinent Gondwana. About 80 Billion years ago the land was split and also New Zealand seperatet from the rest. Australia and New Guinea formed a new mass of land called Sahul. 15 Billion years ago Sahul collided with a part of Asia, forming the Torres Strait. Australia and New Guinea were still connected but seperated by the sea. Thats why the continent of Australia includes Australia (and Tasmania) and New Guinea but not New Zealand. There are different interpretations what countries belong to Oceania.

@ MaxPower:
          Greenland geographically belongs to the American Continent, while politically....well as you said.
          Last edited by philip; 2006-08-03, 17:54.
          greetings,
          Philip

Comment

Greenland is part of North American continent but administered by Denmark, its definitely not in Europe just Cyprus isn't, even though its considered European and lets not drag in Turkey into this discussion.

As for Australia lets imagine the continent was called Australia but the country was called New England or New Britain, how then would you describe the country and New Zealand a sto where they belonged? wouldnt you refer to them as Australian countries.

Comment

When i saw the title of this thread i almost started to cry.
              I dont know how many times ive had to explain we are not Australia though.
              Sam Rudge
              A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Australasia is a term variably used to describe a region of Oceania – namely Australia, New Zealand, and neighbouring islands in the Pacific Ocean.
                So no, we're not part of Oz I don't think Australia on its own is an "official" continent anyways

Comment

Originally posted by philip
                  @ MaxPower:
                  Greenland geographically belongs to the American Continent, while politically....well as you said.
                  Oh Btw............... Hans Island belongs also to Denmark !

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                    who cares, Denmark sucks anyway

greetings,
                    Philip

Comment

who cares, Denmark sucks anyway

^^Hey its wrong to say Denmark svcks.. !

*Sending the vikings after YOU now*

Edit. What's so great about Austria ?

Comment

Edit. What's so great about Austria ?
                        hmmm, well the weather certainly isn't!

(and btw. Austria is definitely NOT on the Australian continent)
                        greetings,
                        Philip

Comment

hmmm, well the weather certainly isn't!

(and btw. Austria is definitely NOT on the Australian continent)
                          But its semi part of Australia...^^

Comment

I often think of this question. Luckily, I have a grandmother who is from New Zealand(and is still a citizen). I ask her this from time to time and she says something along the lines of "I didn't know New Zealand was even part of a continent."
                            sigpic
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Back off pal! We'll send our one-man Eskimo army to defend it!

Comment

Working...
                              X