NYPD Gets Badass Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Gets Badass Cars

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly announced Monday the department would be testing 15 flashy new 2006 Dodge Chargers on regular patrols, giving the NYPD a new top speed of 150 mph. The cars go from 0 to 60 in 6.5 seconds and stop much faster than NYPD's current fleet of Chevrolet Impalas and Ford Crown Victorias, which max out at 110 mph.

The Dodge Charger is an iconic American muscle car that revved up the old "Dukes of Hazzard" TV show. Today's version packs a 340-horsepower V-8 engine with a stability control system that the driver can disable for free-wheeling, high-speed chases. The police model includes an engine oil cooler for long sprints down the highway at top speed.

The car can also operate in "stealth mode," where all the interior lights are dimmed to look like the car is turned off.

The 2006 police model starts at about $29,000. Lights, sirens and other features can jack up the price, but bulk orders make the cars less expensive, and no other police department in the country can order in the kind of bulk that the NYPD can.

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Given your typical NYC traffic, just where exactly could this car ever achieve it's top speed ? Not that the cars don't look good, but I don't see much use in the extra speed.

ps: The dark Chargers in NCIS own all others .

Comment

Brampton, Ontario and Peel Region bought a bunch of these a few months ago; they are made there.

The Brampton Economic Development Office is here to support businesses of all sizes launch, locate or expand with the City of Brampton.

DaimlerChrysler to Build Police Cruisers at Brampton Assembly

DaimlerChysler has announced plans to build two new police cruisers at the Brampton Assembly Plant. The new 2006 Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum police cruisers will be marketed across North America starting in the fall of 2005.

The Brampton Assembly Plant recently added a third shift and 900 new jobs earlier this year to help with production of the highly successful Chrysler 300 series, Dodge Magnum and the new Dodge Charger.

With over 4000 employees, the 3.2 million square foot Brampton Assembly Plant boasts the largest facility and workforce in the city. DaimlerChrysler’s Brampton Assembly Plant exclusively builds the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum and the Dodge Charger.

In 2003, Chrysler Group invested approximately $1.4-billion overhauling 80 percent of the facility to allow for flexible on demand manufacturing of rear wheel drive production.

Ontario's Peel Regional Police
      take delivery of Dodge Charger
      police vehicles

Brampton, Ontario - Peel Regional Police in Ontario have taken delivery of fifteen Dodge Charger Police Package vehicles, produced at the company's Brampton, Ontario assembly facility. The delivery represents the largest number of Charger police service application vehicles in Canada since they were first produced in 2005.

Currently, there are eight different police forces in Canada using the Dodge Charger and Magnum, including the Ontario Provincial Police, City of Calgary and the city of Hamilton, Ontario

Comment

I saw one yesterday, TTC thow.

Comment

Man, 15 lucky "troopers" is out there, waiting to drive this baby around, Nice !

Why dont they give these to state troopers instead. They might need them instead of NYPD's "urban" chasing... Why ? Is there a new cirkus in town (read FATF).
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Does the NYPD still have old jalopies running around?
            My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
              Does the NYPD still have old jalopies running around?
              If I remember correctly, the Crown Victoria's came out as cop cars in the late 1990's. So if you consider the mileage they put on those cars, at least some of them have to be near their end.

Comment

having one of those in NYC is about as useful as my Toyota Supra Twin Turbo was in Tokyo. When you're sitting in traffic, all cars feel the same.

Comment

I told ya ! The PIGS dont need them, Give them to the state troopers instead
                  Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                    having one of those in NYC is about as useful as my Toyota Supra Twin Turbo was in Tokyo. When you're sitting in traffic, all cars feel the same.
                    You obviously haven't watched "TF&TF:Tokio Drift" then .

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
                      If I remember correctly, the Crown Victoria's came out as cop cars in the late 1990's. So if you consider the mileage they put on those cars, at least some of them have to be near their end.
                      I suspect the average life of a police car is about 3-4 years, as that is the age of most of them that you sale for sale at police auctions. The Crown Vic became the choice of police forces by default when Chev stopped making the rear wheel drive Caprice in 1996, Chrysler having stopped about 1989 (?) with the demise of the Dodge Diplomat. Front wheel drives are perceived as inferior by most police forces

The new Charger is a more modern platform than the Crown Vic, which essentially is 1979 technology, albeit improved piecemeal over the years. And equiped with the 250 hp 3.5 V-6 (vice the 340 hp 5.7 Hemi) it likely is a good deal more economical to operate than the 4.6 l engines Ford uses. Not all police Chargers are being delivered with the larger engines ie pursuit models-the V-6 is plenty fast enough for most city situations.

Comment

Originally posted by a78jumper
                        The new Charger is a more modern platform than the Crown Vic, which essentially is 1979 technology, albeit improved piecemeal over the years. And equiped with the 250 hp 3.5 V-6 (vice the 340 hp 5.7 Hemi) it likely is a good deal more economical to operate than the 4.6 l engines Ford uses. Not all police Chargers are being delivered with the larger engines ie pursuit models-the V-6 is plenty fast enough for most city situations.
                        Sadly, I don't think the Peel Regional cars have Hemi engines in them. The one I saw just had the 3.5L engines (I'm lucky enough to work next to the station on Hurontario street, I was there asking to check them out when they first got them)

The Charger R/T is truely a thing of beauty. I rented one out for two weeks to make my final decision on what car to buy, and it won hands down. That car was incredible to drive in every way...Sadly Dodge announced the Challenger, and it's even more bad ass...So I bought a Caliber to last the next 18 months insted. :X

If anyone is interested, I'll slap some pictures of the Peel Region Chargers up here.

Comment

If anyone is interested, I'll slap some pictures of the Peel Region Chargers up here.
                          I'm interested...
                          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                            I'm interested...

Another interesting link with exerpt, which shows the v-6 is no slouch

Charger 3.5 V6 Charger Hemi Impala
                            V6 Ford (3.27 ratio) Ford (3.55 ratio)
                            0-60 8.9 6.5 8.8 8.9 8.6
                            0-80 14.6 10.8 14.3 14.4 14.2
                            0-100 24.6 16.2 23.6 24.1 23.4
                            Top Speed 135 150 142 130 120
                            Braking 60-0 (est.) 130 131 142 143 143
                            Track time 1:41.82 1:37.96 1:44.10 1:41.65 1:41.36
                            EPA gas mileage 19/27 17/25 19/27 17/25 ?

Comment

Originally posted by a78jumper
                              http://www.painkillerz.ca/images/fea...harger.266.jpg

Another interesting link with exerpt, which shows the v-6 is no slouch

Charger 3.5 V6 Charger Hemi Impala
                              V6 Ford (3.27 ratio) Ford (3.55 ratio)
                              0-60 8.9 6.5 8.8 8.9 8.6
                              0-80 14.6 10.8 14.3 14.4 14.2
                              0-100 24.6 16.2 23.6 24.1 23.4
                              Top Speed 135 150 142 130 120
                              Braking 60-0 (est.) 130 131 142 143 143
                              Track time 1:41.82 1:37.96 1:44.10 1:41.65 1:41.36
                              EPA gas mileage 19/27 17/25 19/27 17/25 ?
                              I love the sign that says "WARNING - Do Not use computer while driving vehicle!"

Comment

Working...
                              X