Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin-Dead

Steve Irwin dead

The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas.

He was filming a documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

A helicopter arrived with paramedics on board to try to resuscitate him, but it was too late.

Irwin, who was was born in Victoria in 1962, inherited his love of reptiles from his father.

His father Bob was a keen reptile enthusiast and moved the family to Queensland in 1970 to open a small reptile park on the Sunshine Coast.

Irwin took over the family business in 1991 and grew it into Australia Zoo.

In 1992 he ventured into television, making the first series of the Crocodile Hunter.

When the program aired in the United States, he shot to international fame.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.

Nature lover

In 2003, he spoke to the ABC's Australian Story about how he was perceived in his country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

"You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty'.

"Just say what you're gonna say, mate. You know, is it a cultural cringe? Is it, they actually see a little bit of themselves when they see me, and they find that a little embarrassing?

"I'm fair dinkum, like kangaroos and Land Cruisers, winged keels and bloody flies! I think we've lost all that. I think we've all become very, sort of, money people."

He also spoke of his love for surfing.

"You get out there, it's just you against the waves.

"There's no paparazzi, there's no fan base, and it gives me a chance to recuperate and regenerate.

"I think I've actually got animals so genetically inside me that there's no way I could actually be anything else.

"I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help."

RIP, i was never a fan of his but he stood for something and i admire him for that.

next trips
    USA/DXB August.

EDIT: Ok nvm, just saw it on CNN..

Story on CNN

Steve Irwin, the TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung by a stingray in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

"SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.

Irwin, 44, was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.

He and his American-born wife Terri Irwin became popular figures on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture of live crocodiles."

RIP Steve Irwin..
    ***My Blog***

Comment

Dang, that sucks. I always liked watching him....
      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Why couldnt it take Paris Hilton or some other douche, always seems like the good ones that end too short.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_c
          Why couldnt it take Paris Hilton or some other douche, always seems like the good ones that end too short.
          Good point....

I remember watching his show(s) when I was younger. At least he died doing what he loved. RIP.

Comment

he was more loved overseas then he was here, some of us down here felt that he portrayed a false stereotype of Australia, he escaped charges for his infamous feeding of a croc with his newborn in his arms.

admire him for trying to highlight enviromental causes..otherwise i don't really care for him to much! wait for the bidding frenzy for a "this was your life" type show.

next trips
            USA/DXB August.

Comment

RIP Steve Irwin,
              He is more famous in America than our Ass Kissing Prime Minister.
              Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

F*ck, this s*cks. I was always expecting his hobby to kill him, but not this soon . And just how high is the chance that a friggin stringray stings him RIGHT THROUGH HIS HEART?!? Too unreal.

Originally posted by andrew_c
                Rule of the thumb: The dumber/useless a celebrity is, the longer (s)he will live.

Comment

Very sad weekend all round, what with the Nimrod crash and now Steve Irwin. My son though the world of Steve and loved his approach to wildlife programmes. He will be sorely missed.

And while Paris Hilton is a complete waste of oxygen, you shouldn't really go around wishing it was her rather than him that dies. It's not particularly nice for anyone to die under such circumstances.

RIP Steve and strength to Terri to carry on.

Andy

Comment

That sucks, I've been to the zoo it's a nice place. It's a damn shame his kids are still young. He did tend to provoke some animals though, hence the "crikey" when they leap.

I'm pretty sure those media reports are hyping it a little by saying "through" the heart. More of a scratch and the venom went right in.

Comment

Basically 1 in a million chance of being killed from a stingray and Steve was the Unlucky one,Only really kills you if it spears through a vital organ and Poor Steve experienced that.
                      Im sure if Steve got stung on leg or arm he would be laughing it off the next day like it was a being bitten by a ant.

Im sure his Wife and Young kids will continue the tradition of the Crocodile Hunter in next few years.

RIP Steve and condolences to his wife and Kids.

Originally posted by Mungous
                      That sucks, I've been to the zoo it's a nice place. It's a damn shame his kids are still young. He did tend to provoke some animals though, hence the "crikey" when they leap.

I'm pretty sure those media reports are hyping it a little by saying "through" the heart. More of a scratch and the venom went right in.
                      No its confirmed that it did spear him and barb just broke off....Say its more painful than a knife or Dagger through a Organ.
                      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Oh no.. This is a sad day. I am a fan of him, I always watch the animal planet and at discovery. He will be missed. Rest in peace Steve !

Btw. I just heard about this morning. I was rather shocked. And I thought this can't have happened. but sadly then I saw his photos at newspapers this morning. Very sad.
                        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I heard about this earlier and thought it was a rumor. I can't belive he's gone, I was always a big fan of his. I was even him for Halloween a few years back. RIP.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

hmmm thats sad, I liked his documentaries. RIP.

On the other hand I really wonder how one can manage to get stung through the heart by a stingray...I have dived quite often with many of these animals but this just sounds unreal.
                            greetings,
                            Philip

Comment

Originally posted by philip
                              On the other hand I really wonder how one can manage to get stung through the heart by a stingray...I have dived quite often with many of these animals but this just sounds unreal.
                              Yes, it is indeed unreal. One news source here in Germany quoted an expert who said that the chance to die from a stingray sting is 1:1,000,000. And Steve Irwin just had to be that 1 .

Comment

Working...
                              X