Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Branson Pledges $3 Billion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Branson Pledges $3 Billion

    http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/21/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

    NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Famed British billionaire and Virgin Group chairman Richard Branson announced Thursday he would earmark an estimated $3 billion over the next 10 years toward fighting global warming.

    Making his announcement at a news conference at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York, Branson said all future proceeds from Virgin Group's train and airline businesses would go toward tackling the problem.

    "We must not be the generation responsible for irreversibly damaging the environment," said Branson. "We must hand it over to our children in as near pristine condition as we were lent it from our parents."

    "Our generation has the knowledge, it has the financial resources and as importantly it has the willpower to do so," he said.

    Global warming, defined by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration as an increase in atmospheric temperature near the Earth's surface, has been blamed on a increase in concentration of greenhouse gases by many scientists. Carbon dioxide, one of the most prominent greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, comes from the combustion of coal, oil, and gas, according to the U.S. government agency.

    Branson's $3 billion pledge became the highlight of the second day of the Clinton Global Initiative meeting, which brings together some of the world biggest leaders to discuss global problems.

    The staggering financial commitment by Branson and the Virgin Group does not come as a complete surprise. In an interview conducted in July with Business 2.0, Branson emphasized the need to take action against global warming.

    ... more at link...
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog


  • #2
    Thats a hell of alot of money...

    Personally, i think Branson is one of the greatest guys living

    Comment


    • #3
      I admire him for actual stepping up and doing something rather than complaining, like a lot of other people do about global warming.

      Comment


      • #4
        And yet most people will still call him a megalomaniac, egocentric a$$hole . F*ck that, this man's an economic genius, and no doubt someone who should serve as an example of what you can achieve.

        Comment


        • #5
          Jealousy maybe?

          Comment


          • #6
            Most definitely.

            Comment


            • #7
              Why couldn't he have given the $3 billion to more worthy projects like research for cures for cancer or AIDS? Why not let the governments worry about global warming and let us common people focus on fighting the problems that plague us today?
              Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

              ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by herpa2003
                Why couldn't he have given the $3 billion to more worthy projects like research for cures for cancer or AIDS? Why not let the governments worry about global warming and let us common people focus on fighting the problems that plague us today?
                Because governments are NOT worrying enough about global warming. Our lawmakers are funded by huge oil & gas companies. These companies in effect prevent lawmakers from changing environmental pollution laws to a degree that would actually be helpful. Ours government is at the moment too worried about non-existent weapons of mass destruction. And besides, didn't Bill Gates just donate like $10 Billion to AIDS research?
                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by herpa2003
                  Why couldn't he have given the $3 billion to more worthy projects like research for cures for cancer or AIDS? Why not let the governments worry about global warming and let us common people focus on fighting the problems that plague us today?
                  A) Its his money, he can do with it what he wants
                  B) the same could be said about our government "why are they wasting billions of dollars on a war in Iraq when we could be using it for education, healthcare, etc?"

                  The answer to B is because the government really doesn't give a rats ass about people or the environment, but instead pushing their own political adgenda.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here we go.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JordanD
                      Here we go.
                      *drops the gloves*

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
                        Because governments are NOT worrying enough about global warming. Our lawmakers are funded by huge oil & gas companies. These companies in effect prevent lawmakers from changing environmental pollution laws to a degree that would actually be helpful. Ours government is at the moment too worried about non-existent weapons of mass destruction. And besides, didn't Bill Gates just donate like $10 Billion to AIDS research?
                        The earth has been warming and cooling for millions of years. In fact, just 30 years ago scientists were convinced that we were entering a global cooling cycle. Global warming may be occuring, but it is only natural and there really isn't that much that we can do about it. Trying to prevent it is like trying to dye all the water in the ocean green or eliminate all obesity-it just isn't going to happen.

                        A) Its his money, he can do with it what he wants
                        B) the same could be said about our government "why are they wasting billions of dollars on a war in Iraq when we could be using it for education, healthcare, etc?"

                        The answer to B is because the government really doesn't give a rats ass about people or the environment, but instead pushing their own political adgenda.
                        A). The money belongs to Virgin, not Branson.
                        B). The government already spends billions on healthcare and education. But what good is having a good healthcare system if your nation as a whole is vulnerable to attack? National security takes priority...
                        Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

                        ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by herpa2003
                          The earth has been warming and cooling for millions of years. In fact, just 30 years ago scientists were convinced that we were entering a global cooling cycle. Global warming may be occuring, but it is only natural and there really isn't that much that we can do about it. Trying to prevent it is like trying to dye all the water in the ocean green or eliminate all obesity-it just isn't going to happen.
                          OK I agree with you there. After all, I majored in environment and natural resources in college so I studied all this stuff. What I should have said was that our government is not doing enough to reduce pollution and environmental damage being caused by humans. I'm skeptical that humans are the cause of global warming. Just wait until the next ice age! They will be trying to fugure out how to warm the Earth.
                          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by herpa2003
                            B). The government already spends billions on healthcare and education. But what good is having a good healthcare system if your nation as a whole is vulnerable to attack? National security takes priority...
                            yeah...and now there's less people that want to bomb us, evident in how little violence there is against our soldiers in Iraq....wait a sec...

                            And for the record, as long as I live in North Dakota, I'm all for global warming. Everyone take your cans full of CFC and go spray them into the air please.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by herpa2003
                              B). The government already spends billions on healthcare and education. But what good is having a good healthcare system if your nation as a whole is vulnerable to attack? National security takes priority...
                              No Live Smart or Die bumper stickers?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X