Wardriving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wardriving

Last week I brought a new laptop, I got an awesome deal; I paid $700USD for 1gig ram, 1.8 GHz, 100 GB hard drive, DVD burner etc.

Back to the point. I'm moving house soon and I've decided not to have broadband (just dial-up) on my desktop after the move (BB is pretty pricy in NZ + I'd have to pay for a technician to enable BB in my new house).

With this decision I thought it wouldn’t hurt to research the world of war driving (specifically finding unsecured Wi-Fi wireless networks). So yesterday morning I put software called "network stumbler" on my laptop and with my laptop on the front passenger seat I set out on my mission to track down some unsecured hotspots close to home.

A chime goes off in network stumber each time you go through a hotspot, it was chiming away nicely after driving for only a few minutes.

I couldent believe how easy it all is and why this whole thing isn't more well known by people; unsecured network + open browser = free broadband.

There is this one just around the corner and the connection is faster than my connection at home.

I know it's technically illegal but it's like downloading music, it's wrong but no one get's arrested for it.

Has anyone else tried this out?

Originally posted by Messerschmitt Man
    Last week I brought a new laptop, I got an awesome deal; I paid $700USD for 1gig ram, 1.8 GHz, 100 GB hard drive, DVD burner etc.

Back to the point. I'm moving house soon and I've decided not to have broadband (just dial-up) on my desktop after the move (BB is pretty pricy in NZ + I'd have to pay for a technician to enable BB in my new house).

With this decision I thought it wouldn’t hurt to research the world of war driving (specifically finding unsecured Wi-Fi wireless networks). So yesterday morning I put software called "network stumbler" on my laptop and with my laptop on the front passenger seat I set out on my mission to track down some unsecured hotspots close to home.

A chime goes off in network stumber each time you go through a hotspot, it was chiming away nicely after driving for only a few minutes.

I couldent believe how easy it all is and why this whole thing isn't more well known by people; unsecured network + open browser = free broadband.

There is this one just around the corner and the connection is faster than my connection at home.

I know it's technically illegal but it's like downloading music, it's wrong but no one get's arrested for it.

Has anyone else tried this out?
    Yea, you can find them all over. A bunch are there for free public use anyways.

Comment

BB in NZ is differnet than US because US is cheaper for BB

Comment

Originally posted by pbateson
        BB in NZ is differnet than US because US is cheaper for BB
        We've already established this....

Anyways, I LOVE wardriving. When I was on the bus one day coming home from school, it goes through neighborhoods then the highway them more of a rural area. I came up with 27 networks just by doing that. I've got secure wireless in my house, but 2 neighbors around me have unsecured wireless. It's crazy the number of spots you can find it just driving down the street. FLL airport has one too...which I LOVE when I go there. I sat on it for 6 hours after getting off of a cruise one time. Best airport ever...other than PHL (except for those damn delays)

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
          We've already established this....

Anyways, I LOVE wardriving. When I was on the bus one day coming home from school, it goes through neighborhoods then the highway them more of a rural area. I came up with 27 networks just by doing that. I've got secure wireless in my house, but 2 neighbors around me have unsecured wireless. It's crazy the number of spots you can find it just driving down the street. FLL airport has one too...which I LOVE when I go there. I sat on it for 6 hours after getting off of a cruise one time. Best airport ever...other than PHL (except for those damn delays)
          PHX, MCO, BDL also have free ones I used. Many more do too, and some like ORD make you pay. I have the linksys wifi finder, so I don't even have to pull out the laptop to know if there is a nework.

Comment

Yea although more and more people in NZ are getting BB it's still a bit of a luxury for most because of the cost. The problem In New Zealand is there is hardly any competition so ISP's can charge what they like for BB.

Comment

Originally posted by Messerschmitt Man
              Yea although more and more people in NZ are getting BB it's still a bit of a luxury for most because of the cost. The problem In New Zealand is there is hardly any competition so ISP's can charge what they like for BB.
              Ah, over here most people have BB, i guess it's not as expensive. Also the new thing now is moblie broadband, thats still pretty expensive and directed mostly towards business. But it would be nice if the cost comes down to that of normal broadband and they improve the networks for more coverage.

Comment

Yeah that's what I do everytime I'm away from home. I just prefer to do it with my PSP (Play Station Portable). I did that in New York, where I connected to somebody's office's wi-fi. It was lotsa fun as I had to sit right by the window sto have the signal lol. But it's always fun to "steal" other's bb

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                  PHX, MCO, BDL also have free ones I used. Many more do too, and some like ORD make you pay. I have the linksys wifi finder, so I don't even have to pull out the laptop to know if there is a nework.
                  While we're on this topic, YYZ Terminal 1 also has wi-fi. The rest of the terminals should get it very soon.

Comment

Also, plenty of places like some malls here have free Wi-Fi, then it'd even be legal to use it

Comment

The truely fun aspect of an unsecure network is that it's still your responsibility in many places. AviationWarDrivingNerdX finds your network, uses it to buy a Canon 100-400L lense with a stolen credit card ... You're responsible if said nerd is never found. Though I'm sure that card companies have some kind of insurance against that. Theft of data is a different story though. As a couple in Detroit found out ..

To be a real jerk, find grandma's (or any schools) network and start the MP3 trading when the RIAA is looking

Comment

Working...
                      X