X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kite Flying, for aloges

Originally posted by aloges
    I know it's pretty far , but I'll ask anyway:

Katamarino, could you tell me a bit about flying kites? I've flown those made-for-children kites like nearly all kids have at some point, but I guess it's not comparable with what you do? I'd very much appreciate any info you could give me, for example about how to get started and what kind of kite a newbie should try!

I fly power and traction kites, all mine happen to be made by a company called Flexifoil but there are plenty of others. The kites differ from the kids kites in several ways - first off they are big, my biggest has a 6.5m wingspan and is 8m area. The big kitesurf kites reach 20m area, paraglider size!

The second difference is that most of the kites are flown on four lines, not too. The handle are about 30cm long - you hold them at the top, with one finger above the first set of lines and the rest below.

These are the power lines, that give the real pull. The lines at the other end are the brake lines, applied by twisting the wrist so they move towards the body, and are used for extra tight steering or for landing.

Most traction kites have no rods or spars - they are held in shape purely by the air ramming into them and inflating them.

A Blade II kite by Flexifoil - I fly the 4m and 7.8m versions (kites are rated by area).

A Flexifoil Viper. These are designed for buggying, and as such pull alot when flying near the ground, and not at all when you put them overhead (so you dont get lifted out the buggy!) I fly a 6.5m

Buggying - pulled by the kite, you whiz around and try not to do this! I have only had it flip on my head once

A beginner would probably be best off with a 4 line kite in the 2-3m range. Make sure you fly it in light wind to get used to it, and if in doubt, dont fly!. If you can find a kite shop near you they should be more than happy to give you advice!

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions then fire away!
    I walked across an empty land
    I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
    I felt the earth beneath my feet
    Sat by the river and it made me complete

WOW THANKS! Even before I get to read the post, thanx a lot!

Comment

I saw some people doing this on Coronado beach. They were bouncing face first down the beach. looked marginally painful.

Comment

I've just read most of the "How To" guide on flexifoil.com; seems as though I might be able to find a place where I could do kite flying in the neighbourhood.

And that's where my next question comes from: I remember that you posted an image of you and your kite some time ago (but my memory might also betray me), shot in some inland meadow. However, many pictures on flexifoil.com show beaches; so do you go flying your kite on the beach regularly or is that rather unessential?

Oh, and by the way, that website says the Blade III was "for those with no fear". Guess that applies to the Blade II, too.

Comment

Flying on the beach is a treat for us rather than the norm. We can most often be found inland, as the coast is a good hour and a half away. As long as you find a decent sized field, the flying is still just as good, and you dont get sand everywhere!

Comment

From about £150 to £1000

Comment

Having looked at the prices of some of them, I feel strangely happy to turn 19 in one month...

Comment

Working...
              X