Marine Awarded Medal of Honor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Awarded Medal of Honor

An emotional President Bush said Friday he would present the Medal of Honor — America's highest military decoration — to a Marine who died when he jumped on a grenade in Iraq and saved the lives of two comrades.

The medal will be given posthumously to Cpl. Jason Dunham of Scio, N.Y., who died on April 22, 2004, of wounds he suffered when his patrol was ambushed near the Syrian border.

"He and his men stopped a convoy of cars that were trying to make an escape," President Bush said during a speech to dedicate a new Marine museum. "As he moved to search one of the vehicles, an insurgent jumped out and grabbed the corporal by the throat."
    During hand-to-hand combat with the insurgent, Dunham called out to his fellow Marines: "No, no, no. Watch his hand!"

"Moments later, an enemy grenade rolled out," the President said. "Cpl. Dunham did not hesitate. He jumped on the grenade to protect his fellow Marines. He used his helmet and his body to absorb the blast."

I hope he is in a better place now. That is an amazing thing to do...

Comment

Wow...For or Against the war, that man is a true American hero.

Comment

American or not, still a true hero. Such a brave soldier. Indeed He deserves the MOH.
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Wooow unlucky to die but what he did is amazing and he sure should be an example for others to follow. Real hero !

Comment

Agree with everyone above, if that guy is not a hero I dont know who is.

Comment

Regardless of what side you are fighting for, laying down your life for others is noble.

Cpl Dunham is a hero.

Comment

All of those who died in Iraq are heroes.. Why? They died in the most horrifying way.. Fighting a senseless war..
                -Zeypi / CX777 - Cathay Pacific VA Junior First Officer

Next Flights: FS2004
                EK332 DXB - MNL B77W
                NH001 IAD - NRT B77W
                NH007 SFO - NRT B77W
                NH009 JFK - NRT B77W
                NH011 ORD - NRT B77W

Comment

Originally posted by cx777
                  They died in the most horrifying way.. Fighting a senseless war..
                  Ok, thread commemorating a dead hero...could we leave politics out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                    Ok, thread commemorating a dead hero...could we leave politics out of it?
                    I dont think he's saying that this Marine wasn't a hero, just stating his opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      I dont think he's saying that this Marine wasn't a hero, just stating his opinion.
                      No, I meant everyone there is a hero..
                      -Zeypi / CX777 - Cathay Pacific VA Junior First Officer

Next Flights: FS2004
                      EK332 DXB - MNL B77W
                      NH001 IAD - NRT B77W
                      NH007 SFO - NRT B77W
                      NH009 JFK - NRT B77W
                      NH011 ORD - NRT B77W

Comment

Now that is a true hero. Though I assume if he heard someone say that, he'd insist that he was just protecting his friends the only way he could. RIP.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                        X