X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Richards on David Letterman Show

At the Comedy club...Where it happened-

Afro-American : That was uncalled for!
    Kramer : That's what's happen when you interrupt a white man.

Inactive from May 1 2009.

Great, the man lost it on stage.

Comics are still people- they are prone TREMENDOUS lapses in judgement, especially if it was built up over time. Does it make anyone here a racist? That's harder to tell. I've used the N-bomb (albeit not directly to an "afro-american") before, but I'm hardly a racist. It was a stupid decision and he'll pay for it in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
      Great, the man lost it on stage.

Comics are still people- they are prone TREMENDOUS lapses in judgement, especially if it was built up over time. Does it make anyone here a racist? That's harder to tell. I've used the N-bomb (albeit not directly to an "afro-american") before, but I'm hardly a racist. It was a stupid decision and he'll pay for it in the end.
      Yeah, I agree. Sounds to me like he just got pissed off at the heckler. But instead of moving past this, people such as Al Sharpton, are gonna keep bringing it back.

Thats the thing with racism. People want it to go away, yet they can't let go of it. The guy made some stupid remarks, he issued an apology. Time to move on, in the end nobody got hurt. And tearing this guy apart certainly isn't gonna help anyone. We have all said stuff we don't actually mean, or that came out wrong. Especially when someone has pissed us off.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
        Yeah, I agree. Sounds to me like he just got pissed off at the heckler. But instead of moving past this, people such as Al Sharpton, are gonna keep bringing it back.

Thats the thing with racism. People want it to go away, yet they can't let go of it. The guy made some stupid remarks, he issued an apology. Time to move on, in the end nobody got hurt. And tearing this guy apart certainly isn't gonna help anyone. We have all said stuff we don't actually mean, or that came out wrong. Especially when someone has pissed us off.
        Of course, in an ideal world, Al Sharpton wouldn't make the news between the lingerie ads and auto ads on page A24 in the paper.

Comment

People should be upset about it, but I think the whole thing's getting way more attention than it should. Yep, it was disgusting, and yeah he should have apologized (sooner I think, I think Seinfeld put a lot of pressure on him to go on Letterman), but when you bring in Al Sharpton I think it really makes people take it less seriously. IMO he'd call a cheese sandwich racist.
          It sucks because I was a huge Seinfeld fan. I still am I guess but now everytime Kramer comes on I think he's gonna start shouting the N word at people.

Comment

I think the uproar is not because he used the word, its because he used the word in anger.

It is absurd that a black person uses the "n" word freely, but if a white person uses it they are immediately labeled a racist. One thing about white people is we are not usually discriminated against because of our colour, however many are discriminated against because of our religon or economic situation.

I have been in foreign countries and been discriminated against because of my colour and my language. It's not nice I tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
              I think the uproar is not because he used the word, its because he used the word in anger.

It is absurd that a black person uses the "n" word freely, but if a white person uses it they are immediately labeled a racist. One thing about white people is we are not usually discriminated against because of our colour, however many are discriminated against because of our religon or economic situation.

I have been in foreign countries and been discriminated against because of my colour and my language. It's not nice I tell you.
              White ''racism'' is rampant in India. It isn't the tradtional brand of racism though; people just assume white people tip more so they work harder for their business. Hell, Jet and Sahara may have gotten rid of it, but for a long time, they had Indian Fares and Non-Resident/International fares which were usually well over the domestic rate. That sort of thing is more of the economic type than the hate type though.

You're right that it's a shame we'd get our asses kicked for using the N-word (imagine that...I can't come to type it out) in front of black people, but brothas in the hood do it without problem. what to do...

Comment

I think the argument that "well if black people use it why does everyone get mad when we do" is pretty absurd too though. Personally I think nobody should use it, but I do think there's a difference in a black guy saying "what's up my "nigga" then a white guy yelling at a black guy "you f*ckin n**ger!" or something to that effect. (No, I can't bring myself to type it either, too easy for someone to misinterpret what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                  I think the argument that "well if black people use it why does everyone get mad when we do" is pretty absurd too though. Personally I think nobody should use it, but I do think there's a difference in a black guy saying "what's up my "nigga" then a white guy yelling at a black guy "you f*ckin n**ger!" or something to that effect. (No, I can't bring myself to type it either, too easy for someone to misinterpret what I'm saying.
                  Can white people use it in jest if they want to (That is, not like Kramer)?

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                    Can white people use it in jest if they want to (That is, not like Kramer)?
                    I don't know, but I don't think that's up to me (a white kid) to decide. And of course there's not going to be a big agreement on if using the word's acceptable, it's such a sick word. I think in some context it might be acceptable (for example, white people in Dave Chapelle's Klan sketch used it, but they were portraying people who actually use the word. I'd say that's different than a comedian making a joke and using the n word to make fun of black people. When Richards did it, he wasn't in character, that was all him. And yes, I do beleive he had a right to say it because of freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be upset about it. On the other hand, I don't see what the big attention is, because A. He's a D list celebrity, most people don't even know who he is unless you just say Kramer, and B. There's a white singer that uses the N word in almost every song to demean black people. I'm just saying that people shouldn't let such a washed up former celebrity stir so much trouble.

Comment

In Japan I was called "round eyes" and the guy spit on the ground. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

In Algeria I had a gun pulled on me more than once because I was "white" and foreign. That was actually scary.

Comment

Kramer apologizes once again..

Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                          Kramer apologizes once again..

LOL it's like he was reading from that same script on Letterman.

Comment

Michael Richards has now become Jesse Jackson's little puppet.

Comment

Originally posted by c72
                              Michael Richards has now become Jesse Jackson's little puppet.
                              Yep it seems that way. He's telling people to boycott the seinfeld DVD because there's no black people on there. DUDE THAT SHOW WENT OFF 8 YEARS AGO!!!
                              And besides, there was Jackie Chiles.

"Who told you to say the n word? I didn't tell you to say the n word. Why'd ya say the n word?"

Comment

Working...
                              X