Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my computer take 10 minutes to shut down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my computer take 10 minutes to shut down?

I recently bought a new laptop, and it works perfectly, but there's one problem:

It took 10 minutes to shut down straight out of the box. It boots in under 30 seconds, but takes ages to completely power down. I don't know if that's just the way things are or if there's some setting i can tweak to get it to shut down just as fast.

It shouldn't take that long to shut down. Most new ones don't. I suggest some warranty work. In the interim, try "hibernating" instead of shutting down, it makes the computer boot and shut down faster while "picking up" right where you were when you shut down instead of closing the OS. The computer does power down, however. Let us know how it works out!

Comment

Are you sure you don't have a bunch of stuff running in the background? That could be a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by scramjet
        It shouldn't take that long to shut down. Most new ones don't. I suggest some warranty work. In the interim, try "hibernating" instead of shutting down, it makes the computer boot and shut down faster while "picking up" right where you were when you shut down instead of closing the OS. The computer does power down, however. Let us know how it works out!
        Scrammy, Does it dump the ram contents? That's one thing I hate about windows, is the fact that after awhile it floods up the ram.
        My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
          Are you sure you don't have a bunch of stuff running in the background? That could be a reason.
          Most laptops come with so much useless crap installed that they have 50-60 processes running in the background. Where I used to work, the first thing we did when we got in new laptops was to format each one and reinstall the operating system. They ran far better afterwords.

Comment

The first time I shutdown my new Vaio it took a long time as it was completing the install processes and updates. I thought it was very weird. However, after that first shutdown, it's now pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
              Most laptops come with so much useless crap installed that they have 50-60 processes running in the background. Where I used to work, the first thing we did when we got in new laptops was to format each one and reinstall the operating system. They ran far better afterwords.
              Dell doesn't come with a Win disk. I just had to go through and uninstall everything I didn't want. And yes, 50-60 processes running. Crap, just crap.

Comment

Well, I killed some of the programs I don't use (I really didn't even know I had Quicken 2006 on it to be honest), and it took 5 minutes, 19 seconds from Start->Shut down to completely off. I'd understand times like that if my computer was really slow or old, but my old desktop could beat that!

It takes like 15 seconds for it to hibernate, but that uses battery power, doesn't it?

Comment

^^Nice Avatar

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                    Well, I killed some of the programs I don't use (I really didn't even know I had Quicken 2006 on it to be honest), and it took 5 minutes, 19 seconds from Start->Shut down to completely off. I'd understand times like that if my computer was really slow or old, but my old desktop could beat that!

It takes like 15 seconds for it to hibernate, but that uses battery power, doesn't it?
                    Hibernation does not use up battery power as it still shuts down the computer but just stores the current state before powering down.

Originally posted by Cam
                    Scrammy, Does it dump the ram contents? That's one thing I hate about windows, is the fact that after awhile it floods up the ram.
                    I think it stores the current state on the hard drive and then it is just deleted next power up. I don't think it floods up the RAM, but I could be wrong.

Comment

I haven't looked @ Dells in a while so I don't know if they still offer the option of a Windows CD. I know they used to for $10 extra. My dad got one when he purchased his Dell Inspiron 6000.

Comment

I read somwhere that you can have hibernation/shut down problems with windows OS. That means you have "multiple processes* that create a high-stress condition". Who knew that our computers could get stressed?!

Normally hardly anybody looks at the System Configuration Utility.
                        At startup, you see all these programs starting as regular programs. Shut down those you dont need. Usually help with add/remove windows components, or you can pin point them by typing *msconfig* at Start-Run * Tick all those you dont need.

Ps. what your computer didnt' activated during start-up, is likely not to be there during the time of use of your computer, which also means less programs, "less stress" during the shutdown.. You can pm my inbox anytime if you need further explaination.
                        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
                        X