New Orleans Repeating Mistakes of the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Orleans Repeating Mistakes of the Past

[quote]After Katrina, teams of planners recommended that broad swaths of vulnerable neighborhoods be abandoned. Yet all areas of the city have at least some residents beginning to rebuild. With billions of dollars in federal relief for homeowners trickling in, more people are expected to follow.

Moreover, while new federal guidelines call for raising houses to reduce the damage of future floods, most returning homeowners do not have to comply or are finding ways around the costly requirement, according to city officials.

"It's terrifying: We're doing the same things we have in the past but expecting different results," said Robert G. Bea, a professor of civil engineering at the University of California at Berkeley and a former New Orleans resident who served as a member of the National Science Foundation panel that studied the city's levees.

"There are areas where it doesn't make any sense to rebuild -- they got 20 feet of water in Katrina," said Tom Murphy, a former Pittsburgh mayor who served on an Urban Land Institute panel for post-Katrina planning. "In those places, nature is talking to us, and we ought to be listening. I don't think we are."

The controversy over how to rebuild the New Orleans region began almost as soon as the waters receded.

In the fall of 2005, planners from the Urban Land Institute, working with the city's Bring New Orleans Back Commission, recommended that large sections of Lakeview, Gentilly, New Orleans East and the Lower Ninth Ward be abandoned, at least temporarily. The panel called for the government to purchase homes at pre-Katrina prices.

There were two reasons for the planners' proposals. First, the levees had proved catastrophically fallible. Even now, they are not guaranteed to stand during the strongest hurricanes. Moreover, the wetlands that once protected the city from storm surges continue to erode, and hurricane experts, including Max Mayfield, the outgoing director or the National Hurricane Center, have repeatedly warned that many homeowners are taking on unacceptable risks in U.S. coastal areas.

Second, it seemed likely that New Orleans's post-Katrina population was destined to be smaller. It made sense to consolidate neighborhoods, planners said, to prevent blight from overtaking sparsely populated, partially abandoned areas.

"What we said was that, in the areas that had gotten 10 feet of water, don't commit to rebuilding anything yet, because it probably won't happen anyway," said Joseph Brown, head of the urban design panel at the Urban Land Institute.

But Nagin, who was hearing complaints that shrinking the city's footprint was unfair, particularly to African Americans, rejected the idea. Everyone should be able to return to their homes, he said.

"I'm not ready to concede that neighborhoods need to be demolished," Nagin said at the time.

Among those slowly repopulating the once-flooded areas, many turn to God when considering what will happen in the next hurricane.

"People always say, 'I'm going to pray,' " said Bea, the Berkeley civil engineer. "And I'm thinking, 'I hope God is listening.' "

I hope God has sympathy for the stupid...
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Let's put it this way: If these people solely rely on God and don't follow any of the precautions given out, they shouldn't come crying to FEMA or the government once another devasting hurricane hits NO and floods most of the city again. And that WILL happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
      Let's put it this way: If these people solely rely on God and don't follow any of the precautions given out, they shouldn't come crying to FEMA or the government once another devasting hurricane hits NO and floods most of the city again. And that WILL happen.
      agreed 100%

Regardless of whether god is going to save their arses (which I seriously doubt) they need to bring it upon themselves to save themselves from another Katrina.

Comment

They'll just find a way to blame the government for flooding their houses again... even though the federal government recommended not to re-build many of the neighborhoods... local government is allowing it.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Who do they think is sending the hurricanes?
          Just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
            Who do they think is sending the hurricanes?
            Just kidding
            LOL!

Comment

Working...
            X