Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philh
    P.S. Dell are shite, dont touch them.
    I cant really agree with you here phil i normally build my own but the wife works for the NHS and the goverment ran a scheme where you bought a pc through the NHS that you got tax relief on and i got a Dell and paid just over a grand for it 12 months ago and it has been superb at the time i bought it i couldnt buy the same spec pc for the money and can run most games at max settings. But i agree that Sam would be better buying the stuff to build his own as prebuilt pc's are vastly over priced.

Cheers
    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam

Now, i've been looking on eBuyer and the best one I can find for this PC is a...

AMD Sempron 2.00GHz 3400+

That's 30, which seems pretty good, although I need opinions. I'd rather save up for travelling than buy a new PC.
      Where did you see that dude?...i can only find a 3400+ on ebuyer for 45 and i'm interested in one?

Comment

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/94639

It's 45 with VAT, Plus my PC only takes that socket. Do you think I should get it?

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
          http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/94639

It's 45 with VAT, Plus my PC only takes that socket. Do you think I should get it?
          I've got the same socket mate and it seems to be the fastest chip you're gonna get for it. I'm not sure though that you'll see massive improvements in speed though as you're only going from 1.83mhz to 2mhz

I think i shot myself in the foot when i got my current mobo about 9 months ago as it's pretty restrictive. I priced up a new AMD dual core processor and sli motherboard for about 250, but i just can't face doing yet another transplant. think i'm gonna get a new monitor first...i've been recommended a tasty 20" widescreen Dell monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by FatGit
            I cant really agree with you here phil i normally build my own but the wife works for the NHS and the goverment ran a scheme where you bought a pc through the NHS that you got tax relief on and i got a Dell and paid just over a grand for it 12 months ago and it has been superb at the time i bought it i couldnt buy the same spec pc for the money and can run most games at max settings. But i agree that Sam would be better buying the stuff to build his own as prebuilt pc's are vastly over priced.

Cheers
            Alan
            It might just be my experience with them but I have come across two Dell laptops recently, only 2 years old, that have had to be scrapped. I managed to fix one of them, or so I thought, but the same problem re-occurred a week or so later. Further investigations shows a lot of people have had probs with Dell and especially their customer support.

Maybe it is a Canon 100-400 scenario (being that there are some bad ones and some good ones out there) but that is just my own experience of Dell in general.

Comment

Maybe it's a mass production thing with Dell. I got my first proper pc 9 yrs ago and it was a Dell...200mhz pentium, 3gb HD. Not very expandable but it lasted well with no problems at all. The monitor was the first bit to die. Infact my folks still have it kicking about at their place and were using it only until recently. They got my bro one too after that, which they still use now and that must be at least 6 yrs old. My dad also had a Dell laptop which lasted a few years with good service.

Maybe things have changed with time?

Comment

Personally, I'd go self-built, or buy basic system, then gut it and put in good hardware.

Comment

I used to build my own PC's so know a little about them. If upgrading the only time you will notice a big difference is when you add more memory. If you upgrade the processor you can only put something onto the motherboard similar to what you already have.

I tend to buy new now and the place I use is Morgan Computers who have a shop in Piccadilly. I say new but they sell factory reconditioned machines at a good price. Their stock changes regularly and looking today...
                  http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...SubCategoryID=
                  Looks like a good machine for 469 - they come a lot cheaper than that !

Comment

Try PC Centre NW - http://www.pccentre-nw.co.uk - on Wilmslow Rd, in Withington. I've bought a couple of computers there, in the last three and a half years - the second one being a few months ago. Pretty good service. If I weren't going to move back to Australia (which I'm doing in three weeks time), I'd buy from them again.
                    Last edited by callufrax; 2007-01-10, 16:36. Reason: URL parsing.

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll look into it more

Comment

Working...
                      X