What's your heritage/family history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your heritage/family history?

Well, where are you descended from, and what's your family history? Take us as far back as you can, and feel free to include interesting details.
    Mine:
    My earliest American ancestor came here in the mid-1600's. He was a great^16 grandfather of mine, surname 'Ludington', emigrated to a section of what is now Boston.
    A great-great grandfather was a doctor for the Union in the Civil War, station at Naval Station Key West.
    Great-Great Grandparents emigrated from Germany, who were Jewish, but practiced as Catholics to escape anti-semetic feelings in the early 20th century.
    Those are from my paternal side.
    On mom's side:
    No great-great grandparents or older were born in the US. They emigrated from a plethora of places, including Scotland, Wales, England, France, Poland, and Lithuania.
    Great-Great Grandfather from Eastern Poland stowed away on a cargo ship traveling from Poland to Ohio, and snuck off. Thusly, I am descended from an illegal immigrant.
    I am descended from the first king of Scotland.
    My entire list of heritage, by nationality, are:
    Scotland, Wales, England, France, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Poland, Lithuania
    Scottish Clans which I belong to: Ramsay, McGregor, Shaw, others unknown.
    Well,that's about it. Hope I didn't bore you

Indian.

Gee, that's succinct. If we're bringing citizenship into this, American since May 2003, Indian before that.

Comment

Wow quite a detailed history. Where did you get that all info from ? Like you parents know all this or did you use any other sources ?
      Anyway I don't know much about my background but what I know is that:
      I was born in Moscow, Russia (USSR at that time). Both my parents are citizens of Poland and so am I. I can apply for Russian one if I want. My mom was born in Koszalin - city in northern Poland, by the sea. My mom's grandfather was born in a small village in Poland. My mom's grandmother was born in the city of St. Petersburg in Russia. Both my grandparents have Polish citizenship. I don't know much about my mom's grandfather's family. My mom's grandmother's family has some background in the southern Europe/Asia and that is why I have specific eyes and always tanned skin About my dad's side I know nothing...but it's a Polish background.
      So I am mostly Polish, with Russian and a bit of southern stuff
      And I am NOT Canadian !

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
        Wow quite a detailed history. Where did you get that all info from ? Like you parents know all this or did you use any other sources?
        Actually, pat, from a variety of places. Asking grandparent/greatgrandparents, looking at old documents within the family, internet, etc.
        If you are looking for more detailed info on yourself, I would ask the family elders if they have any interesting papers.Since you can trace your connection to your ancestral country(es) straight from yourself (unlike me, a few generations old american), you probably have a leg up. I would check with the city/province records of your parents' birthplaces.

Comment

My ancestry is Eastern European. Mainly Russia, but their might be some Polish and Baltic thrown in there. All my grandparents were born here as were 3 of my great grandparents. Weve been in the USA ever since.

Comment

My family came from Poland during the time when the Statue of Liberty meant more than a tourist attraction.

My mom's side of the family is French so. wee.

I don't really know much about my deep heritage though, although I wish I did
            Bobby DeBarge
            www.debargephoto.com
            http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
            1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

Comment

My mum was born in Prešov, of what was then Czechoslovakia, Her family can be traced back to Germany, Russia, Poland, Moravia, and of course Czechoslovakia.

My dad was born here in Toronto, with family/roots in Ireland, Scotland and Wales

and Mitchell, theres no pride in being multi-clanned I'm all O'Sullivan

Comment

I'm Canadian and descended from Adam and Eve.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                  I'm Canadian and descended from Adam and Eve.
                  straight and to the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
                    and Mitchell, theres no pride in being multi-clanned I'm all O'Sullivan
                    You're a dirty Irishman, so there's no sense in being prideful anyways.

Comment

Well i have no idea...
                      My grandparents are all from England, i belive my great grandad was a police man during teh war, just to let you know
                      I'd like to know where everyone came from, but i think we have just been in England, my name is 'Hampson' which is very British so i dont think im half Jamacan or anything

Comment

English, Irish, Italian, French-Canadian

Comment

All my family comes from Belgium (but considering we have been conquered by about every european country in the past it means I also have Roman, Spanish, Austrian, French, Dutch, and German blood in a way...), My mum was born in Congo (Africa) because my granddad was in the Belgian army ruling the colony at that time, that's the most exotic thing in my family

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                            now I feel ashamed to have Irish/Canadian blood

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                              Zer is ze dam frenchman

Comment

Working...
                              X