Car hits the gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
    She wasn't drunk... she was going 100mph in a high performance car she never drove before and obviously couldn't handle near a toll booth and failed at passing another car. A classic case of stupidity. She should have been slowing down at that point. Not trying to pass then probably slamming the brakes to stop or go through the toll.
    I don't know how credible Snopes is, but according to that site, she was a drunk driver.
    The definitive Internet reference source for researching urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
      Hell, I've taken the Civic up to 100 mph in a posted 55, but I wouldn't do it near a toll booth or w/ other cars around! This probably sounds weird, but the left lane in ATL always goes above 80 even though the posted limit is 55. You can do 80 right in front of a cop and he won't give a rat's ass.

But it's still stupid to do it in a car you've never driven before, esp. a car that packs so much power. Since it was her first time driving that car, it was probably her first time going at 100. She probably wasn't used to things coming up so quickly- if she were doing 55, it may have been possible do do all that in a short distance, but you needs quite some room to do anything big at such high speed. Yer right though...classic stupidity. RIP.
      Yeah, 55 is one thing, you can easily stop at that. If I'm doing 70 or so on the highway and there is a long exit ramp I keep it at about 55 until I need to slow down towards the end and bring it to a gradual stop with no trouble. 100mph is almost twice as fast, I would never even think of doing that when I have to stop soon, thats retarded, but thats what she was doing. Usually I do about 70 - 80 if the highway is clear, if there are cars I make sure I'm not even close to the person in front of me to be sure if they decide to stop for no reason or whatever I have enough to react, and that usually equates to about 65mph which is the limit here and makes for a decent flow. As for the cops "not giving a rats ass" I wouldn't push my luck on that one lol.

Originally posted by JordanD
      I don't know how credible Snopes is, but according to that site, she was a drunk driver.
      The definitive Internet reference source for researching urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation.
      The bottom of the page says alcohol wasn't a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
        Yeah, 55 is one thing, you can easily stop at that. If I'm doing 70 or so on the highway and there is a long exit ramp I keep it at about 55 until I need to slow down towards the end and bring it to a gradual stop with no trouble. 100mph is almost twice as fast, I would never even think of doing that when I have to stop soon, thats retarded, but thats what she was doing. Usually I do about 70 - 80 if the highway is clear, if there are cars I make sure I'm not even close to the person in front of me to be sure if they decide to stop for no reason or whatever I have enough to react, and that usually equates to about 65mph which is the limit here and makes for a decent flow. As for the cops "not giving a rats ass" I wouldn't push my luck on that one lol.

The bottom of the page says alcohol wasn't a factor.
        Ah, my mistake, I read the insert. Nonetheless, retards who endanger other people don't get any sympathy from me.

Comment

Re:

What many people don't understand is that driving is a privilege, and that you are responsible for any actions you take once you're behind the wheel. Sorry, but I'm with Jordan on this one, those who put other drivers at risk don't get my sympathy.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot
            What many people don't understand is that driving is a privilege, and that you are responsible for any actions you take once you're behind the wheel. Sorry, but I'm with Jordan on this one, those who put other drivers at risk don't get my sympathy.
            Count me in as well. Coming from a country that has interstates without speed limits, I have made my own experiences as to what kind of a difference going twice as fast as normal goes. Rule of the thumb, if I know my exit or any other stopping point is coming up while I'm going 200kph, I take the foot off the pedal 5 km before and let the car slow down till I'm at right-lane speed and not obstructing any other drivers. With that reduced speed, going up and breaking in time on an exit lane is no problem, but try it at left-lane speed, and you're screwed. Of course, that is based on experience that I amassed before even trying to go that fast to begin with, on different cars with different speeding behaviour. If somebody does that on his first ride in a new car whose potential the driver doesn't know, then I'm sorry, that person has some loose screws in his head and shouldn't be allowed to drive to begin with.

Comment

Working...
            X