Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aucun fumer en France!

No Smoking In France!

PARIS - A ban on smoking in public spaces came into effect Thursday, a change that may alter the image of a country defined in part by its smoky cafes and cigarette-puffing intellectuals.

France’s 15 million smokers will be banned from lighting up in workplaces, schools, airports, hospitals and other “closed and covered” public places. More than 175,000 agents are to enforce the ban, handing out fines of $88 for smokers and $174 for employers who look the other way.

In a year, the ban will extend to cafes and restaurants — sure to be the moment of truth for a certain image of France, where writers like Albert Camus and Jean-Paul Sartre are remembered with cigarettes dangling from their mouths.

Statistics — like 66,000 smoker deaths per year in France — and changing norms are snuffing out the romance along with the cigarette. Italy, Spain, Belgium, Britain and Ireland are all ahead of France in enacting broad smoking bans.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Hopefully they won't ban it in Canada...

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
      Hopefully they won't ban it in Canada...
      Lol, where have you been? Full smoking ban in public, enclosed, and covered areas have been in effect in Ontario since June 2006. Most other provinces have already implemented before that.

Comment

I'm glad most restaurants here don't allow it anymore. It sucked going out to eat then coming home smelling like somebody's nasty ass cigarettes.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
          I'm glad most restaurants here don't allow it anymore. It sucked going out to eat then coming home smelling like somebody's nasty ass cigarettes.
          don't you mean chewing tobacco?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@YYZ
            don't you mean chewing tobacco?
            I've never come home with my clothes smelling like chewing tobacco.
            Except for this one time. That guy couldn't aim for his spittin cup worth a crap.

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
              Lol, where have you been? Full smoking ban in public, enclosed, and covered areas have been in effect in Ontario since June 2006. Most other provinces have already implemented before that.
              Areyou serious ? Well people do not seem to care. I never got caught even in such public places as in front of CN Tower...

Comment

1. I hate Satre - he haunted me through out my university days.
                2. im glad that i dont have to smell like both cigarettes and my own spew after a night out. im happy i have the choice that i can only come home smelling like my own spew.

3. different countries have different smelling cigarettes.
                My photos on J.net

Comment

Interesting that this moves happens in one of the countries that openly criticised the US for their strict Anti-Smoking rules. Hmm, French being turncoats once again?

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                    Thats why I hope they will ban it in The Netherlands in near future as well. Some restaurants have a non smoking area, but those area are hardly smoke free. Some even seem to be designed to accumulate all the smoke from the smoking part of the restaurant :-p

Comment

I'm pretty sure we have a sweeping smoking ban of sorts here, but so few of the restaurants I frequent bothered with a smoking section I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

It's a good move though

Comment

Originally posted by pdeboer
                        Thats why I hope they will ban it in The Netherlands in near future as well. Some restaurants have a non smoking area, but those area are hardly smoke free. Some even seem to be designed to accumulate all the smoke from the smoking part of the restaurant :-p
                        Originally posted by Atlcenter
                        I'm pretty sure we have a sweeping smoking ban of sorts here, but so few of the restaurants I frequent bothered with a smoking section I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
                        If you're allowed to have a smoking area, then I do not consider it a "full ban".

Where I live, restaurants aren't even allowed to have enclosed ventilated smoking rooms (possibly with some minor exceptions). The only public place where one can smoke is if he/she is standing at least 3m(?) away from any building.

Comment

avro, I think we do have a full smoking ban, but I'm not 100% sure. What I meant was, I wouldn't know since I don't ever really go to restaurants that would offer a smoker's section so I wouldn't know.

Comment

Working...
                          X