Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People from the UK: Why are these lanes crooked?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • People from the UK: Why are these lanes crooked?

    This has been bothering me for some time now... in some photos of London that I've seen, the lanes are zigzagging. Does anyone know why? It looks like it's warning there's an intersecion, but the intersection up the road doesn't have crooked lines... Pedestrian crossing maybe? Traffic light warning?


  • #2
    Maybe because they drive on the wrong side of the road all the time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Person doing the road markings must have been pi**ed

      Comment


      • #4
        This might be to tell drivers not to park their cars in this area, where an intersection is. It is very common, especially in the western Europe to park cars on the left line, by the sidewalk. This is just my guess.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pkonowrocki
          This might be to tell drivers not to park their cars in this area, where an intersection is. It is very common, especially in the western Europe to park cars on the left line, by the sidewalk. This is just my guess.
          Absolutely correct.

          The zig-zag lines means that you are not allowed to park in that area.

          Comment


          • #6
            It doesn't exactly look like there's room to park anywhere along that street, even where the lines aren't

            Also note they have the single yellow stripe to point out you can't park there anyway, so I guess the zig zags are indeed to point out the intersection?

            Comment


            • #7
              Zigzag white lines are only used on the approach to pedestrian crossings and are a no stopping area. The yellow lines behind them also indicate parking restrictions that will be on a sign close by. Very similar to the US Red Zones.

              BTW ... is it legal to jump a red light in the us if you are turning right and there is nothing coming from the left?

              Jid

              Comment


              • #8
                Jid-

                You must come to a complete stop, look both ways, if no cars are turning from the front or to your left you may proceed through the red light.

                If you roll through without stopping, even though it is a right turn you will be caught for "running a red".

                Alex
                Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JordanD
                  Maybe because they drive on the wrong side of the road all the time.
                  In America you drive on the right side of the road. In the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Japan, we drive on the correct side of the road....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't think I've ever seen Kensington High Street as quiet as it is in that picture, where are all the Chelsea Tractors?



                    Matt
                    http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/ for my personal gallery.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ATrude777
                      Jid-

                      You must come to a complete stop, look both ways, if no cars are turning from the front or to your left you may proceed through the red light.

                      If you roll through without stopping, even though it is a right turn you will be caught for "running a red".

                      Alex
                      Not the way it works here.... you're supposed to peel out and right on red so oncoming traffic won't get you! I've never seen a soul stop, look, and turn.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So civilized eh.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ATLcenter
                          Not the way it works here.... you're supposed to peel out and right on red so oncoming traffic won't get you! I've never seen a soul stop, look, and turn.
                          I do, im terrified of cops and getting pulled over by one, even though my own cousin IS a state trooper
                          Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Anyone remember Angle Grinder Man?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ATrude777
                              I do, im terrified of cops and getting pulled over by one, even though my own cousin IS a state trooper
                              Don't get me wrong! I'm right there with you! But I know that there are some counties where the cops 'care' a lot more. I would never turn right on red w/o stopping in downtown, but in the suburbs its fine. Likewise, I'd never tear up I-85 in Gwinnett Co. at 80 mph, but in downtown, most cars go 65-70+

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X