Caution for Kite Flyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caution for Kite Flyers

Ran across this old newspaper clipping last night, thought it would be appropriate for one of our forum members to see...

A new entry in HOw to get a free flight? Still, It's pretty scary to be dragged by a plane. I guess kite-fliyers must keep an eye open if they are near an airport from now on! Palo Alto..isn't that a really rich neighborhood near SFO?

Comment

I would seriously doubt that the kite was at 800ft!!! Sounds like a little imaginative altitude reckoning from the pilot, or maybe they're getting Above Ground Level and Above Sea Level mixed up? Neat article though!
      I walked across an empty land
      I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
      I felt the earth beneath my feet
      Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

We hit a kite once flying out of Oceano airport CA. It was some kids kite...hit right on the prop and blew into a million peices. Was pretty funny.

-Clovis

Comment

Hey Jess how high do your kites fly usually and how high can they go and still have control of them.
          Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Longest lines I fly on are 40m (about 130ish feet for you guys still in the dark ages!). The longer the lines the more drag and less control, and 40m is about the longest I would want - anything over 60m and you need approval from the CAA!
            I walked across an empty land
            I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
            I felt the earth beneath my feet
            Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Kat,

I'm with you on that pilot's claim of being 800 ft AGL. In order for the girl's kite to be up 800 ft she would have to be using at least 1200 ft of line, and that kite doesn't look big enough to support that much line if it was strong enough to lift her without snapping.

Comment

Working...
              X