No announcement yet.

I bought a Union Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We put up Christmas lights in December too!

Signed,

many American non-Christian immigrants

makes the whole place look better if you ask me.

Nice Union flag...? I used to have a map of the United Kingdom behind my door.

Comment

I'm not even remotely religious, hell, I don't even have a religion! Yet, I celebrate Christmas. Not religiously, but as far as the traditions and what not. I never once heard complaints at school for teachers talking about Jewish and Muslim holidays, or a jewish teacher putting up a manora. Yet, another teacher puts up an x-mas tree and is forced to take it down. Why? No one dared complain about the manora.

It pisses me off how sensitive people are. If the world had to please everyone, it would simply be forced to cease its existance.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Ahh, "politically correctness", don't you just love it . You know, I would bet $20 that sooner than later I would end up in jail for not being politically correct, whether it be for saying "Merry Christmas" to a Muslim, or some other BS. My thinking is still simple: If you think the traditional celebrations in the country you immigrated to are offending to your believe, just leave the f*cking country and go back home to your country.

Comment

Yeah, soon pretty much anything that offends radical Islam is gonna be banned. And we will still be in Iraq "winning" the war on terror, and supporting the Saudi royal family's elite lifestyle because we don't have the balls to stand up to the hippies and drill for oil on our own damn continent.

Comment

Originally posted by scramjet
            I proudly display the Union in my room... and German flag and US. All the flags of my ancestors except Poland but I'm going to get one :-p. Oh and Canada because Canada is cool
            same, I have the irish, german, scottish, canadian and slovakian flags flying proudly. If someone ever came to me and told me to take them down I' give them a big f*** you.

Comment

The only time you ever see that flag flown on public buildings is when someoen important dies (Princess Diana, Queen Mother etc etc). It is absolutely ridiculous that the flag of our nation is more frequently seen overseas than it is here.

The flag itself represents unity, it is the flags of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland all united to form a new flag called the Union Flag. Wales is part of the Union part is not recognised in the flag because it was part of England at the time. Anyway, the flag depicts unity and we are not encouraged to fly it becuase it might offend people whose heritage is not British-yet the Government is trying to promote precisely the kind of unity that the flag depicts.

It's all a load of nonsense.......It's easier to fly a Nazi Swastika than it is to fly a Union Flag.

Matt
              http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/ for my personal gallery.

Comment

I did not know that! That's sickening! When a country begins to put other groups before it's natives, a problem is sure to arrise
                I hear it's nearly the same in Germany, but not official (ie. Getting thrown in Jail); perhaps Colin could afford us some insight on that?

Comment

I don't know much about Britain in general, but this flag issue may have more to do than "avoid offending others".

I happened to come across this link:
                  BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Some notable points which are new to me:
                  today it is a criminal offence to fly the union jack from a boat.
                  there's nothing, not a jot, to say how the flag should be used on land - its proportions, its colours, when it can be flown, where it can be flown.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                    I hear it's nearly the same in Germany, but not official (ie. Getting thrown in Jail); perhaps Colin could afford us some insight on that?
                    Seeing how happy Colin seems to be with Germany all the time, I highly doubt that.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                      Seeing how happy Colin seems to be with Germany all the time, I highly doubt that.
                      Haha, true true.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                        Ahh, "politically correctness", don't you just love it . You know, I would bet $20 that sooner than later I would end up in jail for not being politically correct, whether it be for saying "Merry Christmas" to a Muslim, or some other BS. My thinking is still simple: If you think the traditional celebrations in the country you immigrated to are offending to your believe, just leave the f*cking country and go back home to your country.
                        You know what? On this standpoint I have to agree with you.

Comment

People kick off more about the flag of saint george than th Union Jack at the end of the day its not the muslims etc that are kicking off its white do-gooders that think it offends muslims, Hell even Asian taxi drivers flew the george cross from there taxis during the world cup and this church t the back of my house flies the george cross everyday

Last edited by AlanF; 2007-02-27, 07:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                            As much as I despise this country I live in, it's thankfully not that bad. That said, before the World Cup last year, the overall mentality was "If you are proud of Germany, you are a Nazi". We simply weren't allowed to be proud of Germany, but at least we were allowed to fly our flag. Then came the World Cup, and we were finally allowed to openly admit being proud of Germany, and while it is not as obvious as during the WC, most Germans still have a more open attitude about being a proud German, even though the politicians are doing everything in their "abilities" to ruin this positive thinking again, but that's another story...

Comment

Kind of similar thing going on in the UK, we were all supposed to be proud to fly the flag ten years ago........

'Cool Britannia' was the theme we were all supposed to be following, it was 1997 and the Labour party had just one power for the first time in nearly 20 years, British music was very strong (Spice Girls, Oasis, Blur etc) and everything was good. After 9/11 everything changed and we had to be sympathetic to non-british people who live in our country (just in case they blow us up-which they did anyway on July 7th 2005).

We should be proud of our heritage, we shouldn't be ashamed of the fact that this country was once the greatest industrial nation on earth. If immigrants don't like our culture they should not come here.

Matt
                              http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/ for my personal gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by 2C67
                                We should be proud of our heritage, we shouldn't be ashamed of the fact that this country was once the greatest industrial nation on earth. If immigrants don't like our culture they should not come here.Matt
                                Sadly I think in your case it is too late.........but don't worry Australia is not far behind in bowing and scraping to every minority group that wants their own way.They are cleaver enough to scream racial or religious vilification as soon as look at them. We are being constantly legeslated to shut our mouth.
                                Makes you wonder where the world is headed when we are bludgeoned to death with this political correctness from similar wimps that are not prepared to intervene for example in such things as the FLDS church cult.
                                Thousands of years of civilisation (and yep the dictionary has that wrong) and we still can't get it right..........time to piss religion off.
                                My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Working...
                                X