Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I watched a house burn down last night! (Urgent 56k warning!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched a house burn down last night! (Urgent 56k warning!)

(Wait for it to load! I do think that it's worth it!)
    Well,
    I watched a house burn down last night. My english teacher is a volunteer firefighter (which is pretty cool in itself), and she told us that Clay County Fire Rescue (or CCFR, the fire department in the county that I live in) was going to burn down a house. They do this when people donate their houses to the fire department. The CCFR uses them for training, and for a free demolition service to residents of Clay county. After I got there, I talked to my teacher (she was in firefighter mode at this time) breifly, and then a woman that I didn't know walked up and started talking to me. She asked me if my camera was a video camera, and I replied that it wasn't, it was a still camera. She them told me that this house was the house that she grew up in, and that she flew in from New York to see it be burned down. She said that there were many memories (of course) that she had, this being her childhood home, and said that she would pay me for any photos that she liked (!!). So, this was, I guess, my first shoot for money. Therefore, how much should I ask? Any how, I took upwards of 300 photographs, but here are some of the better pics, or so I think.

Tanker belonging to CCFR

One of CCFR's Trucks coming to the site of the burn

I like this one, because this fireman had his digital Maxxum on him all night, and it reminded me of an enthusiast at an airport. I guess I just thought it a unique link between us and them.

A bunch of firefighters in front of the doomed house. I like this one too, because it's framed by the 'Fire Line' tape.

The next series of photos outlines the burn, from the two begining training burns, to the house engulfed in flame, to the aftermath.

(I know the quality on the last pic is bad, as I used the built in flash on my Canon S3 IS, but I wanted to illuminate some of the are to illustrate that it was completely destroyed.)

Watching this house burn down was a lot sadder than I anticipated. While I was fascinated beyond belief, glancing over at the woman and her father (who had raised five children in this house!) every so often was sobering and made my experience rather emotional.

I hope that you enjoyed my report, and look forward to your comments of my heaping amount of photos!

A.M.

dude, thats freakin awesome!

nice pics too

Comment

Wow!!! Those are some awesome shots. That must of been the coolest thing to see happening.

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

Comment

Thanks for the comments, guys.
        I'm writing a letter to the woman, and I'd like to know how much you think would be appropriate to ask.
        Any ideas?

Comment

Nice story Stecker. But If I were in your shoes, I would gladly donate all the shots she'd like . Free of charge (!) . What you get in return for that is a bunch of appreciation and maybe a little hug ?

Good luck mate. Btw. Good shots.

How many hours did it take to burn up the entire house ?
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
            But If I were in your shoes, I would gladly donate all the shots she'd like . Free of charge (!) . What you get in return for that is a bunch of appreciation and maybe a little hug ?
            That's what I was thinking, and I told her that she could have the shots, but she said that she'd like to pay for them. I'll talk with her further.

How many hours did it take to burn up the entire house ?
            Hours? The entire thing was on the ground in maybe 45 minutes No kidding.

Comment

Nice shots Stecker!

It reminds of me scenes from Mississippi Burning.
              My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

I would NOT give them away for free. You weren't doing her a favor, she asked for your services and isn't really giving you anything in return. If she says she'll pay for them, then she will.

My dealings with people who ask for photos on the spot, never end up buying, they usually just enjoy looking at them, but then again there are those who do buy.

I sale probably close to $10-15,000 in prints per year and my rates are:

4x6 - $5
                5x7 - $10
                8x10 - $15
                Tanner Johnson - Owner
                twenty53 Photography

Comment

Great shots. I bet you a lot of firefighting organizations would be interested in them.

Comment

Great pictures.

The fire dept used my neighbours house for training after it burned last August. It was really interesting since my garage is about 7 feet from their house.

Comment

It's hard to tell. I thought basically it was hours because of the light in your photos. That why I assume it was hours, not 45 mins. lolz
                      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

John,
                        Although the house burned down in only about 45 minutes, the photos are spead over a period of about an hour and a half. As you can tell, and as I've said, there were several burns that went on (2 training ones and the final one). From the period of the B+W white on was abou4 45 mins.
                        A.M.

Comment

Awesome shots, and a great program.... If we had one of those programs up here, I'll bet the rate of arson goes down by 50%... Alot of firefighters up this way have been busted for setting fires to put out.....

Comment

Did anyone think of salvaging that satellite dish before it got destroyed? I can certainly use it

Comment

Wow. Those pics are awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X