Weather in your area #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather in your area #2

Well, a major storm system is doing all the usual stuff here that comes in spring. First there was a major tornado outbreak in the OK/TX panhandles, with about 60 reports (but the actual number of tornadoes might be less since several tornadoes were multi-vortex), then yesterday and today we have had some significant rain, which is good, but too much of a good thing can be a bad thing as has been said. Today the rain has been extremely heavy at times, and we're under a tornado AND a flash flood watch (although the chance for tornadoes is slim). Yesterday though, there was an embedded tornadic cell in a batch of t-storms that went through the area. It produced a tornado in western Oklahoma City, but due to the nature of the tornado (it was rain-wrapped in heavy rain, and so spotters couldn't see it too well and radar had a hard time detecting it), by the time the warning was issued and the sirens were sounded, the tornado had already passed through. Mind you this is an extremely rare occasion, and I don't blame the forecasters, they did the best they could to warn the people in that area, sometimes, even with all the technology in the world, these things happen. Fortunately, no one was killed, although there was major wind damage and several injuries were also reported.

Right now, it's raining like crazy though and some rivers are already mere feet away from cresting. And more strosm are forecast for next week.

Northwest Dallas where I live was "under the gun" a while Friday evening. We had cells that showed rotation as a squall line approached about 6:30-8pm. However as it arrived it thankfully lost much it its power. All we got was some heavy rain and gusty winds. In last week's series of storms, my area got just over an inch or rain. Counties just to our north and south got anywhere from 4-8 inches.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Re:

I saw that cell you're talking about, looked pretty impressive on radar for a while. Up here we got about four inches of rain, offically 3.5 total at OKC.

Comment

North TX is supposed to be in for a "moderate" chance of severe and tornadic cells this afternoon. I don;t mind the storms, but I just don't want hail damage to my car.

DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT
        THERE IS A MODERATE RISK FOR SEVERE STORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND INTO
        TONIGHT...ALONG AND SOUTHEAST OF A PARIS...DENTON...WEATHERFORD...
        HAMILTON LINE. THE MODERATE RISK AREA INCLUDES THE DALLAS-FORT WORTH
        METRO
        ...WACO...TEMPLE...CORSICANA AND PALESTINE AREAS.

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS...A FEW SEVERE WITH LARGE HAIL MAY BE
        ONGOING THIS MORNING OVER NORTHWEST PORTIONS OF THE AREA...BEFORE
        BECOMING MORE NUMEROUS LATER TODAY. A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS
        SITUATION MAY BE SETTING UP ACROSS THE MODERATE RISK AREA THIS
        AFTERNOON AND EVENING...AS FORECAST WIND AND INSTABILITY PROFILES
        INDICATE THE POTENTIAL FOR DISCREET...ROTATING SUPERCELL STORMS WITH
        LARGE HAIL...DAMAGING WINDS TO 70 MPH...AND A FEW TORNADOES...
        ESPECIALLY IN AND NEAR A WARM FRONT THAT WILL BE SLOWLY PUSHING
        NORTHWARD ACROSS CENTRAL AND EASTERN AREAS OF NORTH TEXAS THIS
        AFTERNOON.

Comment

Nothing spectacular here, other than around 20°C and a clear blue sky - whoever said that Global Warming was bad can kiss my a$$ .

Comment

Apparently South DFW was brushed by a tornado 15 minutes ago... Storm moving toward Love FIeld...

Comment

My neighborhood escaped the worst of it. We had strong wind and heavy rain with pea-sized hail. However surrounding areas got hail up to baseball sized! Storm went right over Texas Motor Speedway where NASCAR races will be this weekend.

Comment

We are getting a nor'easter tonight (although its moving southwest) but I dont know if its related. They are expecting monstrous flooding and are preparing evacuation centers which I can't remember them doing ever in my lifetime.

Comment

Re:

The tornado went through North Fort Worth, the suburb of Haltom City was badly hit, although if the same cell went near the south side of DFW Int'l, it passed over or very close to Euless, where one of my freinds lives (right on the SW side of DFW). Hope everything's ok there.

As for the NE U.S., yep, the same system that produced the severe wx over the south yesterday and today will be giving you guys headaches starting Monday. Snow and more snow, and in some cases icing. Not good lol.

Comment

Someone on the other site said AA supposedly had 35 aircraft damaged by hail. Although news channels here in Dallas have reported nothing about it...

Comment

WSUS02 KKCI 161146 CCA
                      MIAN WS 161146 COR
                      SIGMET NOVEMBER 4 VALID UNTIL 161545
                      SIGMET
                      NC SC GA PA NJ MD DC DE WS VA...UPDT
                      FROM SLT TO 20NW EWR TO SIE TO IRQ TO 40E GQO TO HMV TO 40WSW
                      BKW TO SLT
                      OCNL SEV TURB BLW 120. RPRTD BY ACFT. CONDS CONTG BYD 1545Z.

good times...

Comment

I live on a bit of a hill, and one of the streets at the bottom (supposedly the lowest point in 1400 acres) was so flooded they brought in a Zodiac-esque inflatible.

Comment

We got blue skies and 70F here in Portsmouth in England-and it's been like this for the last three weeks almost.

Good times.........!!

Matt
                          http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/ for my personal gallery.

Comment

Re:

Well, after another round of tornadoes and severe weather yesterday to our west and east, we got hit by a squall line, followed by a complex of storms. With the gulf moisture in place, very high rain fall rates have led to some serious flooding, some roads have high rushing water in the metro area. Some areas have picked up nearly 8 inches of rain in about 5-6 hours. And looks like more rain is on the way later today and tomorrow. Good thing is, later in the week things should start drying out, with highs in the 80s. Good thing I get done with my only final tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                            X