Nepal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepal?

I may have the opportunity to go work for a year as a flight instructor in Nepal. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has been there before and could provide any insight to what it is like. As of now I don't have any specifics on what city it would be in, but I do know that housing would be taken care of (in a hotel) and I'd be making exactly what I do now, which for a CFI is pretty good. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Just a guess, but you'd likely be in the capital city of Kathmandu. This is where most Everest climbers fly into to start their trip. It should be incredibly scenic, as you would be in or near the Himalayas.

If you're up for the travel and being away from home a year it sounds like a great opportunity, IMO.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

A huge problem in Nepal when flying might be the weather issues and terrain varieties. Nepal is divided into three main parts, according to it's geographical shape and altitude. The Hill Region that dominates the area has altitude difference that vary from 1000 to 4000 metres (which is from 3300 to 13000 feet). Also flying in Nepal might be a little tricky due to high mountaineous terrain. Eight of World's fourteen highest mountains are located in Nepal. Another problem might be the variety of climate. Nepal is divided into five climatic zones, according to the altitude. They are the tropical and subtropical zone, the temperate zone, the cold zone, the subarctic zone and finally the arctic zone. You will msot likely land in the temperate zone which is the most "normal" one. One more problem is the weather season, very popular for Asia - Monsoon; the time of strong winds, heavy rainfall and low visibility as well as thick fogs. Flying "from border to border" (width - 200kms; length - 800 kms) might be rather easy due to clearly set borders except for the small, 21 km strip on the south east which is a duty free area, not calimed by any oo the two countries (Nepal or Bangladesh).
      As for travelling in Nepal on your own, sugested is a use of a good, weather prepared SUV car with winter tires. Most of the roads in Nepal as really curvy, on the sides of mountains, showing a really scenic view, but also a real danger to travellers, as most are protected from falling down by only low and small metal or stone made fences.
      As for cultural and language difficulties, Nepal is very similiar to it's neighbours - Tibet, China and India. You will need to get used to some of the local food and traditions. Also you will get a typical for most tourists "travellers disease" because of dirtier water and different food. Nepal is a quite low technologically developed country, trying to maintain it's "virginity" of the untouched coutry, full of local people. It's not as strikt as Tibet but similiar. I.e. local TV consists of only 6 chanels which is actually good. Other TV such as European will be available for you via Satellite after installing a dish - probably will already be set in your hotel/house. Radios is more popular. Also the terrain differencies make it difficult for electricity to develope so it is one of the main problems.
      When going to Nepal remember to take a huge variety of clothes, starting from summer shorts to warm winter coats. Also take the sanitary basic materials.
      I've never been to Nepal, only China however my parents went there for a week or so. Unfortunately it was in the early 90s so I can't psot any pictures as they are those old slides, and we did not bring them with us to Canada.

So good luck on your trip to Nepal, expecting some beautiful shots Use this great oppurtunity to visit as much as possible and get to know the local culture !

Comment

Thanks for the research Patryk. I still don't have any more details on the job yet. I believe they are sitting in my mailbox at work but I have not been in for the past few days. I'm not at all committed to this, just told my boss I'm at least interested in it. I love traveling and I have lived a majority of my life overseas so I'm sure I can adapt. I would imagine the flight school is in the flatland, but you never know. I would be flying Diamond Katanas which isn't the most high performance plane ever made, but not the worst either.

In addition to being able to live in a foreign country, this would be quite a spectacular thing to round out my resume before moving to an airline. I've already instructed out of a small uncontrolled field, I'm currently teaching out of a fairly large class B airport, adding some mountain flying to my logbook would be pretty impressive if I say so myself. Especially since it adds to my 30 hours or so of international flying.

Comment

Working...
        X