X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Star Alliance
    To quote Dan Akroyd in Tommy Boy:
    "Savor the flavor kid, because it might not be quite as good ever again."
    I say this because I wish I could agree with you more often. In fact, I would like to be just like you in every way! You're my hero!

quote adjusted for accuracy

Comment

Rest in peace.

My condolences to the families and friends who lost their loved ones.

High Gun control, will it be initiated better this time ?????
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Obviously it's a sad event but what get's me is the over-the-top media coverage of things like this that happen on American soil when yesterday 33+ innocent Iraqi's most certaintly died as a result of Bush's illegal occupation in Iraq but does that make the news? Nope because it's normal now that innocent Iraqi's die each day, are they any less human than the white american? I dont think so. In perspective this shooting is nothing, dont let western media give you a slanted view on world events.

Comment

Originally posted by Messerschmitt Man
          Obviously it's a sad event but what get's me is the over-the-top media coverage of things like this that happen on American soil when yesterday 33+ innocent Iraqi's most certaintly died as a result of Bush's illegal occupation in Iraq but does that make the news? Nope because it's normal now that innocent Iraqi's die each day, are they any less human than the white american? I dont think so. In perspective this shooting is nothing, dont let western media give you a slanted view on world events.
          Americans (as well as western Europeans and Kiwis and Chinese) generally don't go blowing each other up on a daily basis. That is why it is big news. Maybe if the terrorists in Iraq learned this they would have more headlines. I'm sure people in Sudan complain that Iraqis get more headlines than they do, but that is life. And this shooting isn't nothing, it is the worst mass shooting ever to take place on American soil-it merits the headlines.

High Gun control, will it be initiated better this time ?????
          I certainly hope not. The only thing gun control laws do is take guns away from law-abiding citizens and give them to criminals. Criminals generally don't buy their guns legally and those mass murderers that do generally aren't concerned about gun laws when they are planning on murdering dozens of people. I would hate to live in a world when any criminal can get a gun on the street and I can't legally buy one of my own to protect myself with.
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

There's always one isn't there...

Nobody is saying that "white Americans" are more valuable than Iraqis. By the way, if you would actually look at some of the press coverage, you would see that some of the victims were black, Indian, etc. The reason this is getting so much press coverage over here is that it hits damn close to home for most of us. I can't speak for you, but I doubt that if 32 people got gunned down on a campus in New Zealand you would be expressing the same opinion. Nobody's giving us a slanted view on world events. People are going to mourn tragedies that happen near their own homes.

Joe, great avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              quote adjusted for accuracy
              Haha, don't push it
              I too like your avatar, btw.

In all seriousness, I shamefully haven't expressed my empathy for these poor students, families, and entire communities that were shattered in this tragedy. May God have mercy on this sick man's soul, who robbed these kids of their entire lives. I can only hope that this group of people will come to forgive this man for what he has done; I know that I couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                I get what you're saying but you can't live your life like that. In our society it is quite easy to do someone harm if you so desire, but you gotta just live your life to the fullest instead of dwelling on the negative. Not to bring politics into this, but look at what the "oh my god, everyone is out to get us" mentality has done to our country. We're paranoid and seeing threats that really aren't there.
                Especialy considering the career choice many of us have made or will make. Just because a jerk in a cave decided to send 19 thugs to kill innocent Americans doesn't mean we should be scared from the flight deck. Should the concern be gone? No. Should we let it get in the way of doing what we love? No. Should we be alert? yes.

Every life lost is a tragedy. Be it Iraqi or American. Most of the times, when a car bomb kills an Iraqi, it is reported here. That being said, the reason every Iraqi death doesnt get reported and those that do not with the depth of this case here is because while I hate to put it this way, deaths are expected because it is a war zone. This was a college campus, a place where people should go to learn and to enjoy some of the best years of their life. People are supposed to feel secure there. Not to mention the fact that many local families (at least in the east coast) are mourning their children. Is the media slanted? Yes. All media is. Do I think they have done wrong by covering this case? No. The coverage of this case will hopefully allow future lives to be saved.

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                Gun control is not the issue here.

I'm for alot of gun control, but it just is NOT the issue here. The issue is what, in society, in a person's psyche, drives them to say "that is a means to my end", "that is ok", "this is a good idea". It's neglecting to take good care of the mentally ill, of recognizing signs of it. It's about parenting and instilling the right values and ideas in children. It's about a culture of violence and fear, one that has pretty much consumed the United States for the last 30 years. It's about people being divided instead of united, and distancing the ideas of valuing human life and individuals.

If this kid couldn't have gotten a gun, he would still be fucked in the head, and that is the bottom line. That is where the problem lies.
                I agree with you except for one thing. His history of mental health issues should have blocked him from buying a gun. With his mind, his issues, and his anger, he was a danger to both himself and those around him.

Comment

To make a long story short. While every death is a loss, a state of war exists in Iraq and has existed there for years, car bombings don't have the effect on the American public they did at the start of the occupation. This is civillian on civillian, and hits much closer to home. While morally its wrong to say that this was worse than Iraq recently, but in the eyes of those watching the news here in the U.S., they more than likely feel it is.
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

No comments on the videos and pictures the dumbass sent to NBC in between killings?

While watching tv tonight I heard someone outside my dorm yell "I'll do it!" and it was followed by four loud bangs. Called the police, dispatcher unbelievably said "well it's probably fireworks" and told us they'd send somebody. Took between 5-10 for someone to arrive. Kind of crazy response from the police considering what just happened.
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                      No comments on the videos and pictures the dumbass sent to NBC in between killings?

While watching tv tonight I heard someone outside my dorm yell "I'll do it!" and it was followed by four loud bangs. Called the police, dispatcher unbelievably said "well it's probably fireworks" and told us they'd send somebody. Took between 5-10 for someone to arrive. Kind of crazy response from the police considering what just happened.
                      What a thing to assume on the part of the police dispatcher after what just happened!

I haven't seen the video yet, heard 20 different stories about it and the pictures, but I'll wait until I see them myself.
                      sigpic

Comment

View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health at CNN.com.

They're all there.
                        Tanner Johnson - Owner
                        twenty53 Photography

Comment

He compares himself to Jesus...if only someone had shot him as he spoke.

From what CNN has said, his room-mates and everyone had tried to befriend him and help him. How the hell do you help a nut like that. Some people are just pure evil-this is a prime example.

The things he says in that video are not only idiotic and psychotic but eerily chilling.

I quickly dove under a desk — that was the desk I chose to die under. He then began methodically and calmly shooting people down. It sounded rhythmic — like he took his time in between each shot and kept up the pace, moving from person to person. After every shot I thought, "OK, the next one is me." Shot after shot went off and I never felt anything. I played dead and tried to look as lifeless as possible. Sometimes after a shot, I would hear a quick moan, or a slow one, or a grunt, or a quiet, reserved yell from one of the girls.
                          Good god...
                          sigpic

Comment

It's just terrible!!
                            Kevin

Comment

It ticks me off when I see kids killed this way.

It also ticks me off when the President issues a proclamation order for flags to be flown at half-staff honoring the VT kids but none for the 9 soldiers that were recently KIA in Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by Dantheman
                                It ticks me off when I see kids killed this way.

It also ticks me off when the President issues a proclamation order for flags to be flown at half-staff honoring the VT kids but none for the 9 soldiers that were recently KIA in Iraq.
                                Actually, the states where the dead soldiers are from generally do fly their flags at half-staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X