No announcement yet.

At least 22 DEAD in campus shootings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today was nuts. The storm here in the east knocked out power at my college so we spent the day sitting in the dark trying to get tidbits of information about the VaTech shootings. Here in MD most people know several classmates who went to VT so it struck close to home for most of the people at my school.

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
      Even if it isn't a kid, kids these days still need a good licking. Discipline is something that has been forgotten in modern times.
      Who says this incident is a result of lack of discipline? We dont know who the gunman is, we dont know why they did it. Someone who is raised well can still be synnical and/or insane enough to do something like this. Let's wait for more details before we pass judgement.

Comment

Cam was assuming it was a kid and then he tried to somewhat back it up. Assumptions are never ever good in the world of reporting. Last time I checked, there are very few kids in college to begin with, I'd say at least 95% are adults.
        Tanner Johnson - Owner
        twenty53 Photography

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with all those involved.

Honestly, everytime I walk to class and see everyone around, the thought is always in the back of my mind that any one of those people could be the next one to pull something off like that. Noone wants this to happen to any other college, even if it's thei rival.
          Well at least we know a few more angels got their wings and at least one more met his eternal fate. All it really takes is one person to reach out.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer
            Honestly, everytime I walk to class and see everyone around, the thought is always in the back of my mind that any one of those people could be the next one to pull something off like that. Noone wants this to happen to any other college, even if it's thei rival.
            I get what you're saying but you can't live your life like that. In our society it is quite easy to do someone harm if you so desire, but you gotta just live your life to the fullest instead of dwelling on the negative. Not to bring politics into this, but look at what the "oh my god, everyone is out to get us" mentality has done to our country. We're paranoid and seeing threats that really aren't there.

Life is too short for crap like this to get you down. Just be thankful for your friends and family and keep pluggin away. It is really scary thinking that my brother was right across the street where most of the shootings happen, but I can't really dwell on that.

Comment

So sad to think that 33 families are living their worst nightmare right now.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                I get what you're saying but you can't live your life like that. In our society it is quite easy to do someone harm if you so desire, but you gotta just live your life to the fullest instead of dwelling on the negative. Not to bring politics into this, but look at what the "oh my god, everyone is out to get us" mentality has done to our country. We're paranoid and seeing threats that really aren't there.

Life is too short for crap like this to get you down. Just be thankful for your friends and family and keep pluggin away. It is really scary thinking that my brother was right across the street where most of the shootings happen, but I can't really dwell on that.
                Well, yeah, I know, but I really notice it being there after something like this happens. I just wonder sometimes.

Comment

Exactally. This can happen anytime, anywhere. While we should do everything to prevent such tradgedies, when possible, we shouldn't cower in fear because of them. Much like people who refuse to fly after 9/11. Don't let fear run your life.

They have now released a picture of the person responsible and information on him.

Get breaking news and the latest headlines on business, entertainment, politics, world news, tech, sports, videos and much more from AOL

Scary how he just looks like a normal person who could easily blend in with all of us.
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Today in our school we had a special asembly held where they talked to us about it and then we went though lockdown procedures. It's really scarry how they were going to school in the morning, jsut like us, not knowing that they will never come back

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                      They have now released a picture of the person responsible and information on him.

Get breaking news and the latest headlines on business, entertainment, politics, world news, tech, sports, videos and much more from AOL

Scary how he just looks like a normal person who could easily blend in with all of us.
                      I dunno, he doesnt exactly look normal there.
                      Sam Rudge
                      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                        Exactally. This can happen anytime, anywhere. While we should do everything to prevent such tradgedies, when possible, we shouldn't cower in fear because of them. Much like people who refuse to fly after 9/11. Don't let fear run your life.

Probably because, he pretty much IS a normal person, and there are many more like him in this country. People with mental health problems, people who grew up with a dysfunctional family, people who are severely depressed, suicidal, psychotic...etc etc, do not grow warts on their face or get blue skin.

Anyways, I posted the following on another board, and it probably applies if any Euro, Left Winger, Republican or whatever wants to use this to call for more gun control:

Gun control is not the issue here.

I'm for alot of gun control, but it just is NOT the issue here. The issue is what, in society, in a person's psyche, drives them to say "that is a means to my end", "that is ok", "this is a good idea". It's neglecting to take good care of the mentally ill, of recognizing signs of it. It's about parenting and instilling the right values and ideas in children. It's about a culture of violence and fear, one that has pretty much consumed the United States for the last 30 years. It's about people being divided instead of united, and distancing the ideas of valuing human life and individuals.

If this kid couldn't have gotten a gun, he would still be fucked in the head, and that is the bottom line. That is where the problem lies.

And btw, hi guys, glad to hear everyone we know over here is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                          Probably because, he pretty much IS a normal person, and there are many more like him in this country. People with mental health problems, people who grew up with a dysfunctional family, people who are severely depressed, suicidal, psychotic...etc etc, do not grow warts on their face or get blue skin.

Anyways, I posted the following on another board, and it probably applies if any Euro, Left Winger, Republican or whatever wants to use this to call for more gun control:

Gun control is not the issue here.

I'm for alot of gun control, but it just is NOT the issue here. The issue is what, in society, in a person's psyche, drives them to say "that is a means to my end", "that is ok", "this is a good idea". It's neglecting to take good care of the mentally ill, of recognizing signs of it. It's about parenting and instilling the right values and ideas in children. It's about a culture of violence and fear, one that has pretty much consumed the United States for the last 30 years. It's about people being divided instead of united, and distancing the ideas of valuing human life and individuals.

If this kid couldn't have gotten a gun, he would still be fucked in the head, and that is the bottom line. That is where the problem lies.

And btw, hi guys, glad to hear everyone we know over here is ok.
                          agree completely

oh...and hi Clovis!

Comment

I never thought I'd get a chance to say this, but...
                            I completely agree with Clovis and Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                              I never thought I'd get a chance to say this, but...
                              I completely agree with Clovis and Joe.
                              music to my ears

Comment

music to my ears
                                To quote Dan Akroyd in Tommy Boy:
                                "Savor the flavor kid, because it might not be quite as good ever again."

Comment

Working...
                                X