Traveling into Canada from US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling into Canada from US

I'm going to Canada this week, and I've never been up there before. Anything I need to know? Do I have to exchange my cash for Canadian dollars? Anything I need to know about driving up there, different laws?

well, first of all, out speed signs are in kilometers per hour, not miles... so that sign says 100 km/h, not 100mph

and yeah, many places around/close to the border will take us dollars, and a few places in further towns will... but you should definitely have Canadian monay

where abouts are you going?

Comment

Exchanging cash is a good idea. When I was there (not to bash canada or anything), places would take USD but on a 1:1 exchange rate, so you end up paying more for whatever you are buying, and you get change based on that same rate. Keep in mind, credit cards give the best exchange rates.

Comment

You need a passport.

If you have a debit card just take money from a bank cash machine. You get a better exchange rate. Check with your bank to see which Canadian bank they are affiliated with.

Do not bring your guns. We have gun laws (No NRA to save you).

We are friendly, we have McDonalds and yes in the big cities...Starbucks. You are better off to go to Tim Horton's for your coffee and to Harvey's for your hamburger (and poutine).

Anything else?

Comment

Don't bring your skis on your roof rack over the border

Comment

hittin the strip clubs up in Winnipeg eh? I never got a chance to do that while I was in ND

Comment

I thought people were only trying to get to US from Canada lol man just remember that most fun is going on in the Toronto area and maybe Vancouver. Unless you want to meet some rednecks from Saskatchewan

Comment

Whistler's cool, but very cold and can be touristy depending on when you go. Not to mention expensive.

Comment

Also Banff...basicly any place in Rockies is nice. And expensive I've heard from people that NF&Labrador is nice. Hopefully I'll go there and check if it's true some day...

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                    Unless you want to meet some rednecks from Saskatchewan
                    Saskatchewan is by far the worst place I have ever been in my life.

Banff is pretty bitchin though.

Comment

yeah I'm going to Winnipeg... but if I spend all my money by using a credit card, will it automatically factor in the exchange rate? And also, I've been told you only need a passport if your flying into Canada, not driving. Although, you need your birth certificate and photo i.d. to get in via a car.

Comment

Originally posted by nwaA330
                        y And also, I've been told you only need a passport if your flying into Canada, not driving. Although, you need your birth certificate and photo i.d. to get in via a car.
                        That either has changed, or is about to in the near future. Do your homework to find out which

Comment

Originally posted by nwaA330
                          yeah I'm going to Winnipeg... but if I spend all my money by using a credit card, will it automatically factor in the exchange rate? And also, I've been told you only need a passport if your flying into Canada, not driving. Although, you need your birth certificate and photo i.d. to get in via a car.
                          As for the credit card, they'll factory in the exchange rate and I believe bill you in USD.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                            As for the credit card, they'll factory in the exchange rate and I believe bill you in USD.
                            + standard credit card foreign currency commission, which is usually around 2 to 2.5% depending on what card you are carrying. (You need to consult your credit card agreement to find this)

And also, I've been told you only need a passport if your flying into Canada, not driving. Although, you need your birth certificate and photo i.d. to get in via a car.
                            You can still get in with your photo ID as of now, until the second phase of Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative comes online some time next year.

Comment

Hey I was in Canada the other day......for about an hour and a half. I never cleared customs though, but almost did to use a terrestrial bathroom. "What's the purpose of your visit?"
                              Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
                              lp.org

Comment

Working...
                              X