Amsterdam in July/August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amsterdam in July/August

Hey all. I'm trying to get to Amsterdam in July or August with a friend. Since I work at Cape Air, I'm going to see if I can non-rev out there and back. I figure CO and NW would be the best bet for airlines unless I can get a flight out of Boston. Routing would be PVD-DTW-AMS or PVD-EWR-AMS. If I can get out of Boston theres BOS-AMS direct which would be awesome.

What is there to do in Amsterdam thats awesome? Sounds like a stupid question but I know the usual Red Light District and whatnot. Im not really going to spot planes since the girl I'm going with isn't into that.

Any recommendations on a hotel? What website is good for booking hotels in AMS?

How do you recommend getting around? Taxis all the time, foot, subway?

It's my first time in Europe so I'm not sure how it all works at the moment. We're planning on staying in AMS for a few days and coming back.

Well you will sure have fun especially becasue it's your first time in Europe :P European cities are a lot different than American. First of all in all major ones you are NOT allowed to drive a car in the city center - where all the fun is. It is also much closer and easier to get anywhere on feet and I will suggest you take subway/streetcars. Also make sure to check out the Amsterdam canals as this is fun. Another point might be the old town and of course the Red Light District Just remember that if you want to drink some good european beer, expect prizes like 6-8 euros for a glass. And btw I would suggest that you exchange your money into Euros in America or airport, as the exchange reate in hotels is usually low. And have fun there !! Btw. is that girl ur taking with u the Italian one you told me about some time ago ? lol

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
      Well you will sure have fun especially becasue it's your first time in Europe :P European cities are a lot different than American. First of all in all major ones you are NOT allowed to drive a car in the city center - where all the fun is. It is also much closer and easier to get anywhere on feet and I will suggest you take subway/streetcars. Also make sure to check out the Amsterdam canals as this is fun. Another point might be the old town and of course the Red Light District Just remember that if you want to drink some good european beer, expect prizes like 6-8 euros for a glass. And btw I would suggest that you exchange your money into Euros in America or airport, as the exchange reate in hotels is usually low. And have fun there !! Btw. is that girl ur taking with u the Italian one you told me about some time ago ? lol
      Thanks for the info. No not here haha...she wouldn't be able to take it.

Comment

holland has the most hot chicks per capita of any place I have ever been

Comment

BDL-AMS with NWA starts up July 1 also.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
            BDL-AMS with NWA starts up July 1 also.
            No comment on that one haha. Much easier to get to Boston

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              holland has the most hot chicks per capita of any place I have ever been

You need to go to Czech Republic, Hungary and especially Slovenia.
              My photos on J.net

Comment

Poland and Sweden, too. Good places to pick up euro chicks.

Since your going with a friend, do you want to impress her? I figure you'll be doing all the spending on you and her...if you want a hotel closer to the city centre, especially in the summer time, expect to pay a lot, but there are a lot of nice hotels that are affordable for your age, but the problem is, you'll be spending money on public transportation. Europe is very well-known for it's subways/buses, so instead of a taxi, I'd use that, to save ya money along using your legs. If I were you, I'd search for a youth hostel. Usually the prices range from $40-$70, it all depends.

Do you plan on drinking? Sightseeing? Visiting new people?

I hope you and your friend's schedule are flexible during those months, as non-rev travels are very hard to come by. I wish you the very best.

Comment

All of the three that you mentioned will be included. Any ideas on how to get a good hostel? Taking some transportation isn't that bad, but I'd actually prefer to get to all of the good places by foot.

Comment

if you are using hostels, join YMCA or similar affiliation and use their website to book.

you can get good private rooms with bathrooms for like 30Euros a night in some cities.

there is then priceline.com which is good if you know how to use it.

the other alternative is to look for pensions/b&b style accomodation, which im not too sure if prevalent in AMS.

if budget was no issue, i would go along the b&b option, it give you a better cultural insight into a city than staying in a chain hotel.

if hostels are your thing, you can also use lonelyplanet.com

good luck.
                    My photos on J.net

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maier
                      if you are using hostels, join YMCA or similar affiliation and use their website to book.

you can get good private rooms with bathrooms for like 30Euros a night in some cities.

there is then priceline.com which is good if you know how to use it.

the other alternative is to look for pensions/b&b style accomodation, which im not too sure if prevalent in AMS.

if budget was no issue, i would go along the b&b option, it give you a better cultural insight into a city than staying in a chain hotel.

if hostels are your thing, you can also use lonelyplanet.com

good luck.

Thanks. I've never stayed in a hostel so I don't know what they're like. I saw the movie though haha.

Comment

You do not need a car when visiting the Netherlands, unless you decide to go to the other end of the country. Amsterdam's city centre is rather compact so pretty much anything can be walked. When you have had enough of walking you can take the extensive public transport network. Don't bother with taxis. They are overly expensive and rather slow due to the fact that European cities have not really been designed with cars in mind.

Any particular interests you got so we can recommend stuff you/your girlfried will like. Are you into a particular music style, museums, beaches, theaters etc. We can of course recommend the usual stuff, but it is always interesting to go somewhere you are less likely to find a busload of Japanese.

How many days are you going? Just a few days, or a few weeks? If the latter we might take places outside Amsterdam or even the Netherlands into account.

BTW, the remark from pkonowrocki about cars not being allowed in the city centre is nonsense. It is made expensive though, and finding a parking spot can be difficult.
                        Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Stay away from Grolsch.. Very very bad headaches the next day...

Comment

Originally posted by Petertenthije
                            You do not need a car when visiting the Netherlands, unless you decide to go to the other end of the country. Amsterdam's city centre is rather compact so pretty much anything can be walked. When you have had enough of walking you can take the extensive public transport network. Don't bother with taxis. They are overly expensive and rather slow due to the fact that European cities have not really been designed with cars in mind.

Any particular interests you got so we can recommend stuff you/your girlfried will like. Are you into a particular music style, museums, beaches, theaters etc. We can of course recommend the usual stuff, but it is always interesting to go somewhere you are less likely to find a busload of Japanese.

How many days are you going? Just a few days, or a few weeks? If the latter we might take places outside Amsterdam or even the Netherlands into account.

BTW, the remark from pkonowrocki about cars not being allowed in the city centre is nonsense. It is made expensive though, and finding a parking spot can be difficult.

Thanks for your info too. Not my girlfriend just a really close friend who I thought would want to go. She's actually into goth stuff but I'm more into the techno/rave/alternative rock stuff. Shes happy with anything though.

We're hoping to go for about 5 or 6 days. Basically to have some fun, check out some sights, and come home.

Comment

Originally posted by JSchraub
                              Stay away from Grolsch.. Very very bad headaches the next day...
                              Bwhahaha, wimp You are probably used to Bud Light

Comment

Working...
                              X