Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWA ver2.0--Is It Possible?

Hey guys!

I was reading an old article on Airliners.net on the takeover of TWA. That made me think, what would it take to get TWA flying again? Is it possible? How would one go about acquiring the TWA name, if even possible?

I only flew on TWA a few times, but it quickly grew to become my favourite airline. Trans World Airlines is a widely known name, even today. I really think what American did to the TWA employees was downright disgraceful. Anyways--that's my mini-rant

Thanks in advance for any insight. :-]

-TransWorld727

2006 Honda Insight Hybrid 1.0L/1991 Honda Civic Si 1.6L/1991 Honda CRX Si 1.6L

All it would take is someone buying the name from AA and getting some planes, landing rights, facilities. Problem is if the new airline is mismanaged. Look at Pan Am Clipper Connection/Boston-Maine (the third or fourth reincarnation of Pan Am). An everchanging route map, terrible routes, a fleet of 727s and Jetstreams, and most definately bound to fail. Its almost better to let these airlines rest in peace. It may be easier to start a new international airline when Open Skies come into effect, but I don't see any names being ressurected. Unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
      All it would take is someone buying the name from AA and getting some planes, landing rights, facilities. Problem is if the new airline is mismanaged. Look at Pan Am Clipper Connection/Boston-Maine (the third or fourth reincarnation of Pan Am). An everchanging route map, terrible routes, a fleet of 727s and Jetstreams, and most definately bound to fail. Its almost better to let these airlines rest in peace. It may be easier to start a new international airline when Open Skies come into effect, but I don't see any names being ressurected. Unfortunately.
      The main thing I'm worried about is getting the actual name from AA. I'm afraid of how much they would want for the name, and such a hefty cost at startup would not be a good way to start off! There's only one way to find out

Comment

One of the reasons AA gobbled up TWA to get rid of a compeititor. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone at AA would want to see the letters T-W-A in any combination anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
          One of the reasons AA gobbled up TWA to get rid of a compeititor. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone at AA would want to see the letters T-W-A in any combination anywhere.
          Yes, exactly. American would probably want an arm and a leg for the TWA name, that is if they'll even sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by TransWorld727
            Yes, exactly. American would probably want an arm and a leg for the TWA name, that is if they'll even sell it.
            AA seem to be sticklers when it comes to anything to do with their name or that of their affiliates. Naming an airline Reno Air or Air Cal would be just as difficult.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Yes it would probably be easier to bring back TWA if they had just gone out of business.
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Even if AA was willing to give up the TWA name, history has shown that reincarnated airlines are not necessarily a good thing.
                Pan Am has been restarted twice so far. The first reincarnation failed fast, and the second incarnation went through an identity crisis itself and is what you see today, a scab airline that drops cities after 2 months without warning and generally lacks any kind of business plan.
                Braniff got back twice, and went BK thrice
                Western Airlines Mk II didn't last longer than 2 months
                Compass Airlines (Oz) was a dual failure as well
                etc

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                  Even if AA was willing to give up the TWA name, history has shown that reincarnated airlines are not necessarily a good thing.
                  Pan Am has been restarted twice so far. The first reincarnation failed fast, and the second incarnation went through an identity crisis itself and is what you see today, a scab airline that drops cities after 2 months without warning and generally lacks any kind of business plan.
                  Braniff got back twice, and went BK thrice
                  Western Airlines Mk II didn't last longer than 2 months
                  Compass Airlines (Oz) was a dual failure as well
                  etc
                  I definitely see your point there. I think part of Pan Am's failure was the management/fleet combination--Either way, there's always the exception to the rule. A new TWA might have a chance if properly managed, and properly planned. Again, there's still the issue of getting the name from AA.

Comment

Originally posted by TransWorld727
                    I definitely see your point there. I think part of Pan Am's failure was the management/fleet combination--Either way, there's always the exception to the rule. A new TWA might have a chance if properly managed, and properly planned. Again, there's still the issue of getting the name from AA.
                    Is it just me, or is part of the problem the fact that it is very hard to start off a full-service, non-LCC these days? With the fare war going on, it seems hard for a new airline to start now. An old name could be brought back for an LCC, but those should probably have fresh namesto portray a youthful image.

Comment

Working...
                    X