Tragic accident forces Gumball 3000 to stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragic accident forces Gumball 3000 to stop

A tragic accident has occured yesterday, during another part of the world's famouse Gumball 3000 race. For those who do not know what I am talking about, Gumball 3000 is a race, where rich people race in their world's fastest and most expensive cars. The celebrities race from London to Istanbul and all the way back in such rare exotic cars as Ferrari Enzo, Lamborghini Murcielago, Mercedes SLR or Bugatti Veyron. The celebrities include Hugh Heffner, Snoop Dogg and others.
    The race was stopped yesterday, in Macedonia. One of the race participants had a tragic car accident. Nick Morley and matthew McConville, driving a Porsche 911 Turbo had hit an incoming car, with a speed greater than 200km/h. They tried to escape from the place of accident in a black BMW with Russian License Plates. However they were stopped by the police few hours later. Unfortuantely the driver of a hit car (VW Golf) died on his way to the hospital and his wife with major injuries died the next day. Organisators of the Gumball 3000 released the following statement and cancelled the race, as well as blocked their website.
    Following our earlier release reporting yesterday's accident - As a sign of respect we have decided that this year's Gumball 3000 Rally will not travel any further and will end in Bratislava this evening, May 3rd 2007. As the organisers of the rally we feel that it should be stopped as a mark of respect to Vladimir Cepulyoski who died today after an accident involving one the participating drivers. We are very saddened by what has happened and feel that it would be wrong to continue. On behalf of Gumball 3000, we once again extend our deepest sympathies to his family and we are doing everything we can for them. This is the first time anything like this has happened in 9 years of travelling through over 40 countries with 1000's of drivers and it is with deep regret that I make this announcement.
    It was the first tragic accident in a ten year history. Also these were the first fatalities in the rally.

For those who never heard of Gumballl 3000 and want to see what it's all about:

Damn that sucks. I'm obsessed with the one that the Jackass crew went on and went to St. Petersburg. It looked so sick.

Comment

I hope they, and the organizers of the event get punished...

They killed an innocent person in a race on roads that are intended for travel, not for a few rich people to show off their money lack of driving skills/brains. I bet they probably couldn't pass someone else in the travel lanes on their side of the road because they were blocked, so they decided to enter the oncoming side to pass.

Anyways, not the first time an idiot has crashed a Porsche 911, it's just that this time the idiot(s) survived, and the person they crashed into died. The other idiot that made the news crashing their Porsche 911 died, and the person they hit was only injured.

There is a difference between driving fast and driving recklessly. You can drive fast and still be safe, as long as you don't cut people off, slow down when it's unsafe to go fast, etc. I really do hope someone gets the book thrown at them for this one. And since the organizers of the race took down thier website, they know something's gonna happen to someone over this.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
        I hope they, and the organizers of the event get punished...
        Why in the world would you want the organizers to be punished ??

To me it's like you're saying:

(Example) Let say Jetphotos arranged a spotmeeting with over 200 spotters, and a dumb spotter decides to cut a huge hole on the fence..
        What do you do ??? Punish jetphotos.net as well for his act ??????

---------

Anyway I feel sorry for Vladimir Cepulyoski and his wife. May they rest in peace.
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

My point is that if they weren't there to organize this event, and provide some sort of prize or gratification for the winner, this wouldn't have happened. Jetphotos doens't encourage people to cut holes in fences, it encourages people to take pictures of airplanes. This event encourages people to drive recklessly through traffic. And it wouldn't matter if someone who was in the race died, it was their choice. But no, they killed someone who was just driving down the road and was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now most of the blame should rest with the drivers, but the organizer should take some of the responsiblilty for it too. At least ban the thing from going on again.

Hell, it would be fine, if the race was done in stages, and the road closed for part of the day so they could run the stage of the race. But from what I saw in the video, they are racing each other through traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
            To me it's like you're saying:

(Example) Let say Jetphotos arranged a spotmeeting with over 200 spotters, and a dumb spotter decides to cut a huge hole on the fence..

---------
            As spotting Isn't illegal, your point is pretty much pointless.
            Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
            - Metzgermeister

Comment

Organizators?

I don't know why I think that's so funny, something from the Terminator movies maybe?
              Tanner Johnson - Owner
              twenty53 Photography

Comment

It was always bound to happen. I've watched it a few times and theres been some real idiots in it. It's just a real shame that people had to die for them to realise. And Patryk, it's not true what you say about the rich people and there cars. They pick people randomly (poor or rich) and then pick a car for them to drive.

Originally posted by MaxPower
                Cutting a whole in a fence and killing people are two completely different situations.

Comment

I didn't know that people are picked randomly. Well I'm just happy that the race was stopped. I'm a fan of Gumball 3000 - watching it is always fun. The point is that driving like that in Europe is extremely dangerouse, as most of the roads have only one lane each way so to pass you have to go onto incoming traffic.

Comment

Im glad they stopped it. I love cars and everything, and Im all for having a good time, but when innocent bystanders get killed in a hit and run, things need to be stopped. My thoughts are with the victims.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam
                      Cutting a whole in a fence and killing people are two completely different situations.
                      Well I know that it is NOT equally situation.

I was just showing an example who to blame here really...

As I was trying to say that the organizers weren't to blame here imho.. but the offenders themselves.

Don't think that I don't want these assholes to be locked away.. They can lock them away for 20-30 years or more. And I would still not show any sympathy to any of those two.
                      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Wow !

Looks like a bunch of idiots in their wankermobiles.

I've got no sympathy for dickheads who seem to think it's cool to put law abiding citizens at risk.

You can out run the 5-0's but you'll NEVER outrun fate..........

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                          Organizators?

I don't know why I think that's so funny, something from the Terminator movies maybe?
                          Ok, it sounds funny.......Well in spanish you say "Organizadores" which translates directly to "Organizators" in English but the correct word is "Organizers" or maybe even in these terms maybe sponsors? who knows? lol.......anyways...... I love seeing nice cars going at fast speeds, but nevertheless it's dangerous. I would rather see professionals race cars in closed courses. I'm not talking about NASCAR races but rather sort of like Toyota, BMW, Nissan, Volvo etc., professionals doing high speed test drives/races. I wouldn't risk my life for a thrill (or race) like that, and these people should consider that they are not only putting their lives at risk, but the lives of innocent others as well.
                          Compañia Mexicana De Aviación S.A. De C.V. - "La Primera Siempre Será La Primera"

Comment

rich people and fast cars....a disaster waiting to happen and allowing it to take place on public highways?! you've gotta be kidding me? and the drivers tried to escape in another car? look em up in a Macedonian gaol and that might teach them a lesson.
                            Last edited by Longreach747; 2007-05-15, 01:00.

next trips
                            USA/DXB August.

Comment

Working...
                            X