Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Buy A Mac For Ny Next Computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Buy A Mac For Ny Next Computer?

Sitting here in the Stamford Marriott waiting to get a train back to Manhatten (bah) I am thinking about the Apple Store in the mall. A dual Xeon Mac with a 30" Monitor. It looks fantastic but.............

Will I miss my PC.

I love online games. World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies, Flight Sim, and a few shoot em up's.

Will a MAC run that type of thing?
    Lee "Shaggy" Shand

A Mac should have no problem running online games. Heck, Macs can even run Windows OS like XP. It depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. People always say how Macs are so much superior to PCs, but I have personally made more positive experiences with my old beatup PC than the Mac I have to use at work.

Comment

I've used both Macs and PCs and the PCs blow the Macs out of the water by far.

Comment

Personaly i cant stand Mac's. But if your looking for something that has a nice 'look' to it then buy it. If however you want a real commputer stear clear.

Comment

You can always get a PC with a "nice look" as well . Also, what I personally don't like about Macs, at least the G4 that I use at work, is that they can't run floppy disks (yes, many people still use those), and all USB-ports are on the backside of it, meaning you have to crawl under the table whenever you want to plug in a USB-stick. Far from being practical.

Comment

I switched to Mac some months ago. What really annoyed me with the PC (Windows) were Firewalls, Anti-Virus stuff, crashes and I had to set up the bloody thing new every once in a while to keep it running relatively smooth. Have not had any similar problem with the Mac so far.
            It depends where your priorities are. For games I'd recommend you to stay with a PC simply because most games are meant to run on a windows platform.
            greetings,
            Philip

Comment

Head to head, you will always get more value from a PC. A PC that cost $1000 will blow a Mac that costs $1000 out of the water. Generally the more you spend with either, the better performance you will get. But if you take what you pay for a Mac and buy a PC for the same price, the PC will own the Mac. I don't really care about what most people complain about with PC's, I generally don't have any problems, and when I do have an issue it's not that hard to fix. I rather be able to open my computer and upgrade and do stuff to it, then have it sealed shut and have to buy a new one when I want a new video card.

Comment

I use a PowerBook and a PC that I built myself. I still prefer the Mac any day of the week, it just runs better and requires much less attention than the PC.

Comment

I've got a mac mini and it runs XP like a dream...one word...BOOTCAMP!

For those moments when you really need to switch back to windows.

Comment

My desktop is a PC, my laptop is a MacBook Pro.

Apple has the best service of any company I know. Less risk of viruses, and if you do alot of graphic work they are better (including photos.) My Macbook Pro actually caught fire yesterday, and I have no doubt I will get a new one tomorrow night when I take it in to the Apple Store.
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

I think I get the general message. A MAC would be great for a lappy but I cant justify one unless work would let me use it for work and home use, that would not happen as they lock the laptops down.

This is what I normally do every 2 years. I always get the latest model. I have last years version of this.

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.
                      Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

We have both Macs and PCs in my house. My personal computer is just that, a PC. The Mac is good if you want to run creative stuff like photoshop, iMovie, etc. I havent tried running windows on mine, so I dont know how it works. In the apple side of things, the web browsers dont agree with a lot of websites so you dont get as good browsing as with a PC. I have trouble posting here on the Mac.

Not to mention, unless you have Windows on the mac (and I dont even know if it works this way), you cant run flight simulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                          I use a PowerBook and a PC that I built myself. I still prefer the Mac any day of the week, it just runs better and requires much less attention than the PC.
                          That may have something to do with the fact that you built it Greg

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                            That may have something to do with the fact that you built it Greg
                            Naw

Comment

I would go PC, I have used Macs before and quite frankly they are worthless IMO. Most of my programs won't run on a mac, and why buy a mac and then install windows on it? As for photo editing and stuff, I don't see why anyone says a mac is better. I have done work just as fast with a PC and certainly now that I have Windows Vista which is amazing everything runs faster and better. I have never had a single virus with my desktop that I have now, and I have had it for 3 years now. Install the right firewall's and anti-virus and you won't have a problem with it. I recommend HP media center PC's, the one time i had a problem I wasn't calling India and the online chat support is amazing as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X