Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you want to do when you 'grow up'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want to do when you 'grow up'?

Hey guys,
    Well, the thread's purpose is obvious by the title.

Personally, there are only two main fields, with smaller paths contained within.

Path 1: Aviation
    Subpaths:
    -Being a pilot for a major
    -Aero Engineering
    -ATC (maybe)

Path 2: Medicine
    Subpaths:
    -Internist-try(?) (-ism?) (ology? haha idk)
    -Radiology
    -Psychiatry

And that's about what I've narrowed it down to. All of the aviation fields are because I've always loved every part of aviation, and the medical fields, because I come from a pretty big line of medical-types (both parents are/were nuclear medicine technicians/professors, long liniage of docs (had a great great grandfather who was a Civil War surgeon, but that's a story for another day...)). Specifically, Radiology would feel like 'carrying on the family trade', I guess, and Psychaitry because I've always been interested in the studies of the human brain.

Look forward to hearing your harangues...er, I mean stories...as well.

Mitch

Im most likely headed for Aviation. Unless this whole obsession turns out to be a fad that Im going through, which I dont think it is, Aviation will be my career.

Most likely Ill be a pilot. My dream job is to fly for Boeing Flight Test, although Id be happy with Boeing Flight Test. My path to get their could take a number of routes. Im probably going to need a flowchart to organize them.

IF all else fails Ill be an Engineer, hopefully for Boeing.

Comment

Well I am trying to earn my PPL right now, I should have it by early winter or late fall most likely, but how long it takes isn't an issue, no rush there. Next year I only need 4 classes per semester to graduate(thanks to me getting my act togeather...only took 10 years of school ) which gives me the oppertunity to take an off-campus class which allows me to internship with Airlines at SFO in the baggage and ticketing areas. If I pass the course, I am supposedly guarenteed a job with an airline. I hope to get a job with Virgin America next summer when I turn 18, then enroll in community college. All the while I plan to earn some more ratings and certificates while building flight time, and my goal is to become a CFI by the time I graduate community college. If all goes well, I will transfer to a 4 year college to complete my last 2 years of school, and flight instruct while I do so. I really don't care where I go, probably somewhere local where I will major in some aviation course. Hopefully, once I have my degree, I'll have what I need to get into a regional airline. Of course nothing goes this smoothly, but I'll hope for the best!

Needless to say, I'll be flat broke the next few years.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Living it now!!

Southwest Airlines!

No I dont want be SWA lol

Alex
        Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

always wanted to be a neurosurgeon and follow in the family tradition of medicine...for some reason or another I ended up in education and I think it was a great choice.

next trips
          USA/DXB August.

Comment

My Dad told me for years to get a "real" job. After 28 years I'm still here At Air Canada.

My wife tells me to "grow up" all the time though.

Comment

Pilot.

I've got my Private Single Engine now, and I'm getting my Private Multi Engine in the summer. I'm currently flying the Diamond DA40 with G1000 right now. I'll be going to Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach in the Fall and will be getting my instrument rating there.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                Pilot.

I've got my Private Single Engine now, and I'm getting my Private Multi Engine in the summer. I'm currently flying the Diamond DA40 with G1000 right now. I'll be going to Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach in the Fall and will be getting my instrument rating there.
                So..you just wanna fly metal around? pffft. lame...

Alex
                Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

This thread is unfair on us oldies!!!, I have already grown up....no comments....wanted to be in aviation industry, but took up micro-electronics and am in metrology.

Comment

I spent my childhood wanting to work on the railways and I have now been doing exactly that for the last 14 years......maybe I'll get a real job someday.

Matt
                    http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/ for my personal gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker
                      This thread is unfair on us oldies!!!, I have already grown up....no comments....wanted to be in aviation industry, but took up micro-electronics and am in metrology.
                      Haha, sorry mate.
                      BTW: I always thought that your photog banner title was something in Welsh or something freaky deaky like that until just now

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                        Haha, sorry mate.
                        BTW: I always thought that your photog banner title was something in Welsh or something freaky deaky like that until just now
                        Have you worked out what my banner is?
                        My boss @work called me backward......my work is metrology

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker
                          Have you worked out what my banner is?
                          My boss @work called me backward......my work is metrology
                          Do you mean meteorology, as in weather? What's metrology?
                          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Pilot. Preferably something in corporate aviation. I've heard it's a little more stable, and it seems like a hell of a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
                              Do you mean meteorology, as in weather? What's metrology?
                              Metrology, not Meteorology. Metrology is the science of measurement. My field is micro electronics.

Yes I always get asked about the weather!!!

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrology

Comment

Working...
                              X