Formula 1 Canada GP - Holy F'n sh!t!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula 1 Canada GP - Holy F'n sh!t!

Anybody seen that race? If not, I suggest catching the rerun of it. This race really had everything:
    -Very brutal crash by Kubica, which he thankfully survived more or less intact ("only" one leg broken supposedly)
    -4 Safety Car periods
    -2 Black Flags for Massa and Fisichella, for leaving the pit lane while the light was red
    -2 10-Second penalties for Alonso and Heidfeld for stopping while the pit lane was not legally open.
    -First career victory for Lewis Hamilton
    -Oh yeah, and Kamikaze-Sato owning Alonso in the second-last round.
    Absolutely awesome race, IMHO .

Damn...how exciting...210 BPM and up at Kubica's Crash, and indeed, the ''Sato who the F*CK is Alonso?!'' action...great race...

If anyone wants to see Kubica's Crash, here is the video:

Dutch TV actually tuned in when Kubica was already Upside down, I was horrified at that moment...
    Suche gut gebaute 18-30 Jährigen zum schlachten.
    - Metzgermeister

Comment

Yeah I just saw it. I was atually planning to go to Montreal to watch it live, but the tickets were wayyy to expensive ($1000 and up). Lucky or Kubica to only have a broken leg. They say that he will not be able to race for at least 2 months.

Comment

Awesome race well done to LH and i hope Kubica makes a quick recovery it was a frightening accident similar to Johnny herberts crash where he lost both legs below the knee

FG

Comment

Best race i've seen from F1 in a while, although the safety car became a bit tedious towards the end. Glad that Kubica is ok as that was one hell of a crash, and is a testiment to the safety of modern F1 cars. I'd hate to think what the result might have been if that was a few years back.

And as for Lewis...god damn bloody amazing!!! Well done Lewis and McLaren for a faultless drive.

Alonso's aftertoon was a joke..haha....Sato's move at the end was fantastic and brightened up the end of the race.

Comment

Just a pic if anyone wants to see the crash:

Comment

Kubica's crash was really something. It's great to hear that he's ok after that!

Comment

Damn, must have been one hell of a race!
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

According to BMW-Sauber team manager Kubica might have only a broken ankle. But he will miss the next GP in Indianapolis for sure
                  Also congrats to Hamilton.

Comment

I heard that Kubica has NOT broken anything... well apart from the car

As for Hamilton.. well what a man, what a drive... 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd and 1st. I think there are some very big things for him in the next..... 10-15years!! Shame I could not see the race... 1am start and work in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
                      Best race i've seen from F1 in a while, although the safety car became a bit tedious towards the end.
                      Very true, even though after the third phase we were already like "Okay, anyone wanna bet the SC will come out a 4th time?" Didn't take too long before that turned out to happen.
                      And speaking of the SC, did my eyes give up on me or was there a Honda as a safety car during the second SC period?!?

Comment

Yes, this race was ceratinly dramatic - just needed a shower of rain to complete the dramatics. Re "the crash" - today's cars are certainly safer than yesteryear's. I witnessed first hand Tom Pryce's shunt at the S A GP at Kyalami in 1977. Was stationed at Crowthorne Corner where he ended up after hitting the fire marshall just past the start/finish line

Anyway, I'm sure all of our Brit JP'ers and guests are celebrating - L.H. is certainly a talent, albeit driving today's remote controlled "F1's" - you can deduce I am of the "old school" when DRIVERS were in full and total control of their machines and we watched ONE race as opposed to 2 or 3 "sprints".
                        RobB

Comment

you can deduce I am of the "old school" when DRIVERS were in full and total control of their machines and we watched ONE race as opposed to 2 or 3 "sprints".
                          I know where you're coming from, I would stab a guess that we were brought up in the same era of motorsport ( middle/late 60's onwards ).

Stupendous racing when the drivers were in full and total control.....but when they weren't...they died ! If Kubica had been driving as little as 10 - 15 years ago we would probably be mourning the loss of another driver. His crash was very similar to the ones that took Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenburger.
                          Crash resistant driver cell technology has moved on leaps and bounds in recent years but taking away traction control, going to narrower tyres and going back to manual gearboxes would put F1 back into the era of terribly violent crashes.

A goodly chunk of modern F1 technology is making its way into production road cars these days, and not just the expensive supercars. I drive a Mercedes ambulance equipped with traction control, tiptronic gearshift (auto/manual option), speed sensitive gear selection control, auto gear selection "memory"..( it "remembers the speed / engine revs at which the last 30 gear changes were made and adjusts auto selection accordingly. Handy if you're the only person using the vehicle, not so helpful though for multiple drivers ! )...etc., all of which has come from F1 technology.
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by RobinB
                            Yes, this race was ceratinly dramatic - just needed a shower of rain to complete the dramatics.
                            THAT would really have added to the dramatic, being how rare rain races have become (unfortunately).

Originally posted by brianw999
                            If Kubica had been driving as little as 10 - 15 years ago we would probably be mourning the loss of another driver.
                            No doubt about that. As said, had it not been for HANS, you can guarantee his neck would have been broken.

His crash was very similar to the ones that took Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenburger.
                            Can't remember Ratzenberger's crash, but Senna's car just went straight in curve and it was the straight in impact that killed him. Kubica's car was essentially atomised, save for the monocoque, not so sure I'd compare these two crashes.

Crash resistant driver cell technology has moved on leaps and bounds in recent years but taking away traction control, going to narrower tyres and going back to manual gearboxes would put F1 back into the era of terribly violent crashes.
                            Hm, can you imagine Takuma Sato driving under those circumstances .

Comment

Hm, can you imagine Takuma Sato driving under those circumstances
                              Yes.......possibly for as much as almost a whole lap.
                              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                              X