Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to New Jersey

Hello people,

After one year in beautiful Hong Kong, I'm moving to New Jersey, Specifically, West Windsor, a suburb near Princeton.

Both JFK and Newark are equidistant from there, or so I heard.

So which one is better to go spotting at?

Btw: I'm keyed up about moving to NJ. It's my first time in America!
    JFK
    0.00%
    Newark
    100.00%
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

JFK is best for spotting!

Why'cha you not living in HK anymore?

What'cha move to India? J/K!

US can earn a good money than HK?

I'm going to move to NY for special needs university in next 2 yrs. When I done in Comm. College in WA for 2 yrs.

Comment

my dad got transferred to nj - his office is in Manhattan though.
      "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

Comment

Tanuj,

Whoever told you that KEWR and KJFK are equidistant from the Princeton area had to be thinking air miles. Driving it will be about half as far to go to Newark. From the area where you will be KEWR should be about an hour's drive, to get to KJFK you will need to pass by KEWR and continue on for another 30 to 40 minutes in good traffic and as much as another 4 hours in bad traffic. It all depends on the amount of cars that want to use the Belt Parkway and Van Wyck Expressway when you happen to head for KJFK. If you look at a map of the New York City area you will see that it's impossible to go direct from Princeton to KJFK as it would mean going over water. Instead you must make an "L" shaped route with the bend in the "L" being right about at KEWR. From KEWR you also have the option of going to KLGA for spotting purposes in roughly the same time it would take to continue to KJFK. KJFK is on the southern shore of Long Island, and KLGA is on the northern shore only about 15 miles north of KJFK.

New Jersey also has a number of small local airports, including one in Princeton, and you can also spot at TEB, (Teterboro) which is not served by any airlines but is a major executive jet facility and is only a short distance north of KEWR.

Of the available airports KJFK has the greatest variety of traffic, but since Continental began to hub at KEWR it has been continuously growing and also gets a lot of widebody international traffic. You will enjoy spotting from either location. If you need assistance in finding good spots to shoot from I can put you in touch with some spotters who live in the area and know all the best locations for each airport.

Comment

New Jersey!!!!!

Nice to see you moving to the East Coast but New Jersey of all places? i think you would like a Penthouse in Manhattan better. No honestly New Jersey is a nice state you just have to look for the niceness.

You could always take the Amtrak NEC down to BWI station and catch a bus over to the terminal, you'de get some nice pics from there.

Comment

Don't forget that it will cost you at least $14 each time you go to JFK just because of tolls. Make that $17 if you wanna take the turnpike.

Comment

Greg, what's wrong with NJ?

My dad saw Manhattan and he found it much to cramped, crowded and noisy, and he preferred New Jersey.

Comment

A lot of people knock NJ (and it does have a bad reputation), but I really like it. It’s the richest state in the country and actually doing quite well economically. Lots of companies have moved the offices from Manhattan to NJ. I’m seriously looking to move there from Queens within the next year. I love Queens and all, but NJ is cheaper to live and the taxes are lower. One problem is that you do need a car, especially where you will be, to survive there.

Princeton is a very, very nice area and you’d feel right at home as a lot of Asians and South Asians live in the vicinity. It’s only about a 45 min. train ride to Manhattan Penn Station from Princeton on the NJ transit.

Comparing the two airports, JFK has much more variety, but EWR has a lot as well. EWR has more aircraft movements, but JFK now handles more passengers. Also, AI will increase their frequency to EWR to daily as that flight is doing well being expectations. Word is you cannot even book a seat anymore. And it’s not just India-bound traffic, but those going to CDG as well.

If you have any questions about NJ or the NYC metro area, please let me know.

P.S. You might get bored in your neighborhood though.

Comment

why does NJ have a bad reputation?

Comment

I don't really know. In in the 70's, there was a huge mafia presence and they were involved with everything. Sleazy politics and pollution were also a problem. As well, there really isn’t anything HUGE about NJ. I mean, it’s just a suburb of NYC, essentially, and it doesn’t have any redeeming quality of its own. You can say that it’s overshadowed by NY so nobody really notices NJ.

But things have changed a lot now and the past few governors have had a long term plan to really improve the place – mostly at the expense of NYC.

They succeeded in the North, but Southern Jersey is still a shithole (because it’s mostly associated with Philadelphia and things aren’t so how down there). Most parts of North and Central Jersey are nice. I especially like the Jersey Shore around Sea Girt and Sandy Hook. You can get an amazing view of JFK traffic from some parts of the Jersey Shore, especially Sandy Hook.

Point is, NJ never really shook off that reputation eventhough it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Being the richest state should speak multitudes.

Comment

Is Princeton area North, Central or South?

Comment

Central...and a really, really nice area.

Comment

New Jersey (or at least the parts I've seen which is most of it) is like a giant industrial park.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                            New Jersey (or at least the parts I've seen which is most of it) is like a giant industrial park.
                            Next time, get off the turnpike.

Comment

New Jersey, the Garden State; if your growing smokestacks, yes.- Courtesy of George Carlin from What Am I Doing in New Jersey

Welcome to the toll-booth capital of the United States of Amercia, New Jersey. By the time Im through NJ and into Pennsylvania, I need a brake job!!- George Carlin What Am I Doing in New Jersey
                              It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X