Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken monitor...

Hey,
    Sorry for another pointless thread but I'm completely stuck...
    So I have this problem with ym monitor. The power button is stuck inside, causing my monitor to be on 24/7. Now I tried fixing it with a screwdriver and scissors but didn't work. Only made it worse. Now if I unscrew the monitor's front cover to get the damn button out, will it break the warranty ? Also can I break the monitor even mroe (by like risking damage to the screen etc) ? I really don't feel like driving to the service just becasue of one stupid button. So my q. is will it break the warranty ?

I would try using a piece of duct tape to pull it out.
    • Cut off a one or two inch piece of the tape.
    • Run it across the hole where the button is, but make you push the tape inside the hole so it sits firmly on the button.
    • Double check that the tape is on the button.
    • Pull.
    • Hopefully the duct tape will pull the button back out.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Most electrical gear is deemed user unservicable so yeah, i'm pretty sure that if you open it up you'll void the warranty. But i guess that it'll depends if there are any seals anywhere that an engineer can tell if it's been opened up.
      If you do decide to give it a go make sure that you use precautions as there can be some nasty electrical voltages lurking about.

Comment

i'm asuming that you have a dell or something like it. i have one answer for you my friend......GET A MAC! they are so much better than any computer that i have ever used *waits for flaming*. i don't want to hear about how you all think that dell's, etc. are better. i have made up my mind and i'm not changing it. the only advantage with windows is that it comes with Pinball and Solitare. and yes it will most likely void the warranty. if the warranty is almost over(5 year warranty, and you have had computer for 4 1/2 years) go ahead and try and fix it yourself. if the warranty still has some time left 2+ years take it to a certified service center.

-Chris

Comment

Chances are that it was just jammed a little. You shoulda just tried popping it out. Sticking a screw driver in there might have just made it worse. Also even if you fix it by opening it, it might just happen again.
          i'm asuming that you have a dell or something like it. i have one answer for you my friend......GET A MAC! they are so much better than any computer that i have ever used *waits for flaming*. i don't want to hear about how you all think that dell's, etc. are better. i have made up my mind and i'm not changing it. the only advantage with windows is that it comes with Pinball and Solitare. and yes it will most likely void the warranty. if the warranty is almost over(5 year warranty, and you have had computer for 4 1/2 years) go ahead and try and fix it yourself. if the warranty still has some time left 2+ years take it to a certified service center.
          Sure if you want a computer that costs twice as much for the same performance, is sealed together so you can't even open the thing up if say you want a little bit more RAM, and want 1 or 2 options for a programs instead of the many that you get for a PC, get a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by ASpilot2be
            I would try using a piece of duct tape to pull it out.
            • Cut off a one or two inch piece of the tape.
            • Run it across the hole where the button is, but make you push the tape inside the hole so it sits firmly on the button.
            • Double check that the tape is on the button.
            • Pull.
            • Hopefully the duct tape will pull the button back out.
            Now that's a reply from a "real" man. I was thinking along the same lines. Mine involved a ball pean hammer too though.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
              Sure if you want a computer that costs twice as much for the same performance, is sealed together so you can't even open the thing up if say you want a little bit more RAM, and want 1 or 2 options for a programs instead of the many that you get for a PC, get a Mac.
              that's fine with me

-Chris

Comment

And if you want to be the coolest kid in school with a $600 phone so you can use google maps wherever you are, then have the price drop $200 10 weeks later for no real reason, get an iPhone

Comment

Alright I'll try the trick with the tape. Hope it works. If not then I'll think of something tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                    Now that's a reply from a "real" man. I was thinking along the same lines. Mine involved a ball pean hammer too though.
                    Duct tape can fix anything. I learn from the master, Red Green

Comment

Originally posted by ASpilot2be
                      Duct tape can fix anything.
                      So truee. I remember I was once driving in a rain and the freaking wiper was broken becasue I was too lazy to buy a new one. So I had to use duck tape to fix it.
                      The once in school we did a soccer ball made of paper and duck tape:

Comment

Wow

Comment

If you have poked around with a screwdriver and scissors you have already voided your warranty. Any marks made by aforementioned sharp instruments will be instantly obvious and the manufacturer will say "Non!"

So I suggest you either take it to an independant PC repair outfit or adopt Mr. Dales idea about a ball pein hammer - and buy a new one!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                            And if you want to be the coolest kid in school with a $600 phone so you can use google maps wherever you are, then have the price drop $200 10 weeks later for no real reason, get an iPhone
                            the iPhone is pretty cool gut definately not worth $600. the new iPod nano is even uglier than the Zune so there are some pros and cons to Apple but i still like the iMac better. for example you don't have to wait five years for the next OS to come out. it is much faster starting up than other computers than i use. the one or two programs are oh so much better. it doesn't freeze or crash nearly as much as the competition. there are much much fewer viruses that can hack into it. mr. paper clip isn't constantly annoying you along with all of his friends. to name a few.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740
                              the iPhone is pretty cool gut definately not worth $600. the new iPod nano is even uglier than the Zune so there are some pros and cons to Apple but i still like the iMac better. for example you don't have to wait five years for the next OS to come out. it is much faster starting up than other computers than i use. the one or two programs are oh so much better. it doesn't freeze or crash nearly as much as the competition. there are much much fewer viruses that can hack into it. mr. paper clip isn't constantly annoying you along with all of his friends. to name a few.

-Chris
                              Windows XP is just fine.
                              Startup doesn't really take that long, and if it's such a big deal you can put a PC into hibernate or just leave it on.
                              My PC doens't freeze or crash very much either, I can't even remember the last time I had a freezeup.
                              Really, if you use common sense, you will most likely aviod viruses. Computers get virues because people are retarded, not because they are a Mac or a PC.
                              And you know you can turn that paperclip thing off in like 1 click... that's the worst reason for why Macs are so much better that I have ever heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X