X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avro_arrow_25206
    replied
    Originally posted by ptbodale
    Like Cam I have one CC and my wife has one CC. You sure don't need any more than that!
    I actually have 1 each of Visa, Mastercard, and American Express, for those places that only accept one specific type of card. Besides, this you should be good to go with 1 good CC.

Leave a comment:

• ASpilot2be
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg Wilson
    clasic Alec..........and given the regularity of debit cards "not working", finance institutions may pay you royalties for that slogan
    True. Or maybe I have to purchase something that costs more money than I have in my bank account. I would also use it to try and build a little credit.

Leave a comment:

• z740
    replied
    you're right you don't need more than one. my great uncle is 80 something and has never had a credit card in his life, and he's doing better than ever. he lives in NY if anyone is wondering.

-Chris

Leave a comment:

• ptbodale
    replied
    Like Cam I have one CC and my wife has one CC. You sure don't need any more than that!

Leave a comment:

• Greg Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by ASpilot2be
    .....The card would be for emergencies when my debit card doesnt work.
    clasic Alec..........and given the regularity of debit cards "not working", finance institutions may pay you royalties for that slogan

Leave a comment:

• CcrlR
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Kilroy
    I scored a free roundtrip, first class UA ticket LAS-LAX-SYD-LAX-LAS in peak season (January) for 90,000 miles, every one of which I got by using the UA Mileage Plus VISA, which has a $65/annual fee, for about 2 years. I used that card for everything I could with that specific trip in mind, including server bills, mortgage, car payments, cable bills... anywhere they accepted plastic went on the card. I always pay my bill in full, so they didn't make a penny of interest.

The ticket at the time of booking priced out to roughly $16,800.00, so I'd say my combined $130 in annual fees were well spent.

Since I got the UA ticket about 2 years ago, I've been using the DL Platinum AMEX, which has loads of great double/triple miles promotions, and combined with my regular flying on Delta, I have about 450,000 Skymiles to blow -- enough for 3 free first-class roundtrips to Asia on Singapore Airlines, plus a coach skysaver on DL anywhere in the lower 48 to boot. That's another $35,000 or so worth of flights, so I think I'm still ahead.

I started with my United Mileage Plus College edition Visa for now and racked up miles for purchases(it's 1 mile for ever $2 in purchases but I don't care), aviation related or not. What I like is that I can use it at several restaurants all over Chicago and the surrounding suburbs/towns as well and on several websites United Mileage Plus has on their website. I like it since I can buy all my NHL merchandise and anything else too from there and earn double miles for that. I plan to get some for flying on star alliance carriers like Air Canada and US Airways since I flew with them allready in the summer. Why would I want to do this? I want to get some miles to fly someplace good like Chris did when he went to SYD or SXM, or some other cool place to spot planes.

Leave a comment:

• Jet-fighters.Net
    replied
    I will throw in a second vote for the UA Milage Plus card I have booked several free flights with the milage earned with the card.

Leave a comment:

• z740
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Kilroy
    Since I got the UA ticket about 2 years ago, I've been using the DL Platinum AMEX, which has loads of great double/triple miles promotions, and combined with my regular flying on Delta, I have about 450,000 Skymiles to blow -- enough for 3 free first-class roundtrips to Asia on Singapore Airlines, plus a coach skysaver on DL anywhere in the lower 48 to boot. That's another $35,000 or so worth of flights, so I think I'm still ahead.
    now there's something to give to the 1,000,000th pic in the DB!

-Chris

Leave a comment:

• ATrude777
    replied
    Originally posted by callufrax
    Better check that out, actually. Having recently worked for a credit card company (four years for Barclaycard, in the UK - anyone here, I hope I haven't declined you a refund on a late fee, or anything!), I've learned a lot more about how credit card companies charge.

Because the $90 annual charge is a fee, then it's not considered a purchase. A purchase is for goods and services. In addition to this, only purchases count toward points for loyalty schemes, air miles, etc. Other things, such as cash advances (including credit card cheques), balance transfers, fees, etc, don't.
    What is there to check out? I know the annual fee doesnt count torwards mileage status. Only as it claims NET RETAIL PURCHASES.

I know my way around credit cards I already have one, and was gonna switch but, no thanks due to how it was handled by them on the phone.

Alex

Leave a comment:

• callufrax
    replied
    Originally posted by ATrude777
    * 25,000 bonus Dividend Miles® after your first net retail purchase
    Better check that out, actually. Having recently worked for a credit card company (four years for Barclaycard, in the UK - anyone here, I hope I haven't declined you a refund on a late fee, or anything!), I've learned a lot more about how credit card companies charge.

Because the $90 annual charge is a fee, then it's not considered a purchase. A purchase is for goods and services. In addition to this, only purchases count toward points for loyalty schemes, air miles, etc. Other things, such as cash advances (including credit card cheques), balance transfers, fees, etc, don't.

Leave a comment:

• ASpilot2be
    replied
    I plan on applying for the Alaska Airlines card and getting 20000 bonus miles. The card would be for emergencies when my debit card doesnt work.

Leave a comment:

• Cam
    replied
    I went to Europe. It cost me $1100. That is my story.

I have one credit card. One, and the balance is zero. I've gone down the slippery slope of CC. Don't get sucked in.

I was able to consolidate and saved a boat load of money. Don't get caught kids. (GGGGIIIII JOE!)

Leave a comment:

• Chris Kilroy
    replied
    Originally posted by Tanner_J
    You can get just as good a deal for a card with one for free as you can paying. What's the point in paying to have someone charge you interest? Before you say it, yes I know the miles deal, but that's a hell of a lot of money to be spending on a credit card every year to get a free flight.
    I scored a free roundtrip, first class UA ticket LAS-LAX-SYD-LAX-LAS in peak season (January) for 90,000 miles, every one of which I got by using the UA Mileage Plus VISA, which has a $65/annual fee, for about 2 years. I used that card for everything I could with that specific trip in mind, including server bills, mortgage, car payments, cable bills... anywhere they accepted plastic went on the card. I always pay my bill in full, so they didn't make a penny of interest.

The ticket at the time of booking priced out to roughly $16,800.00, so I'd say my combined $130 in annual fees were well spent.

Leave a comment:

• ATrude777
    replied
    Originally posted by Airbus_A320
    Are you sure you read the fine print and this is actually the truth? So basically if you buy something for $1, and pay a $90 fee you get a free trip to anywhere in the US. That sounds a little too good to be true.
    Correct.
    Value and pricing

* 0% Introductory APR on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advance checks for your first 6 billing cycles†
    * After your introductory APR expires, you will receive a variable APR on purchases and balance transfers, currently Prime + 9.99%. Please note that you will lose your introductory APR if you exceed your credit limit or are late with a payment.
    * All payments you make will be applied to the lowest APR balances first
    * No balance transfer fees
    * 25,000 bonus Dividend Miles® after your first net retail purchase
    * 1 mile per dollar spent in net purchases
    * Double miles on US Airways purchases
    * $90 annual fee

Explore a variety of credit cards including cash back, lower interest rate, travel rewards, cards to build your credit and more. Find the credit card that's right for you and apply online today.

AA offered the same Deal, only 20K miles posted, after the first purchase, I bought gas for 12 bucks somewhere and got 20K after 6 weeks!

Alex

Leave a comment:

• Airbus_A320
    replied
    Originally posted by ATrude777
    That was part of the deal for the US Airways Card for new ones..

First purchase got you 25,000 bonus miles.

Annual fee is 90 bucks a year.

Alex
    Are you sure you read the fine print and this is actually the truth? So basically if you buy something for $1, and pay a $90 fee you get a free trip to anywhere in the US. That sounds a little too good to be true.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X