4 killed in high school shooting in Cleveland, OH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 killed in high school shooting in Cleveland, OH

Just saw on the news like an hour ago or so. Another high school shooting, this time in Cleveland, Ohio. Looks like the gunman was a 14 year old, equipped with two guns, being upset with a suspension. The news say he killed 4, of which 2 are possibly teachers. The story is still developing.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/10/cle...ing/index.html

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
    Just saw on the news like an hour ago or so. Another high school shooting, this time in Cleveland, Ohio. Looks like the gunman was a 14 year old, equipped with two guns, being upset with a suspension. The news say he killed 4, of which 2 are possibly teachers. The story is still developing.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/10/cle...ing/index.html
    Oh no...
    This is terrible. God rest the victims.

Comment

I was under the impression most (if not all) schools in USA had preventative measures in place to stop guns getting into schools? Then again it is not known if this happend in the grounds or in the school itself.

We had a news article in a UK newspaper reporting how our children are killing themselves with knives. Only a couple of days ago a kid in London was stabbed to death for a cheap mobile phone.

Life seems so cheap, what happened to the days when a good punch up settled an arguement?

Comment

According to the interview on the news the security was removed from school, as there have never been any security issues...therefore the school was without any security.
        Sad to say but my school in Toronto does not have any security either. The only thing we have are cameras and (I believe this is not true) but people are saying that there is an undercover cop in school... sounds like bs to me.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker
          I was under the impression most (if not all) schools in USA had preventative measures in place to stop guns getting into schools? Then again it is not known if this happend in the grounds or in the school itself.
          VT, Columbine?
          Both those schools have security but no amount of security can stop someone who is intent on killing someone. May the victims rest in peace.

Even at the Primary School in my rural county there is a PO there. It's sad what this world has come to. I sure hope the gunman is caught and given the rightful punishment.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740
            I sure hope the gunman is caught and given the rightful punishment.

-Chris
            According to Sky, sounds like he is dead. http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...287898,00.html

Unfortunatley this will go down as 'another high school shooting'.
            Last edited by turbotraker; 2007-10-10, 19:27. Reason: correction

Comment

Four wounded, not killed. The only dead person is the gunman.

It was only after a crowd of screaming students ran past Darnell Rodgers in a stairway at his Cleveland, Ohio, high school Wednesday afternoon that he realized he had been shot.

A 14-year-old boy killed himself after shooting students and teachers at a Cleveland, Ohio, high school, wounding four, the mayor told CNN affiliates WOIO and WKYC.

The incident took place at 1:15 p.m. ET at SuccessTech Academy near downtown Cleveland, according to statement released by Mayor Frank Jackson.

A 14-year-old male sustained a gun shot wound to the side and was transported to Cleveland's Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital.

Cleveland's MetroHealth Medical Center said 18-year-old student Darnell Rodgers was treated for a shot to his elbow.

Mayor Frank said at a 4 p.m. news conference that Rodgers had been released from the hospital.

A 42-year-old man was shot in the chest and was also taken to MetroHealth as well as a 57-year-old man shot in the back, the mayor's statement said.

MetroHealth Medical Center identified the 57-year-old as teacher David Kachadourian and said at about 4:30 p.m. that he was in good condition.

The 42-year-old and 14-year-old were in stable condition, Frank said at the press conference.

A 14-year-old female hurt her knee in the chaos trying to run out of the school building, he said.

One student was taken out of the school on a stretcher but was conscious.

More @ the link.

Comment

Very sad. May the victims recover quickly and fully.

My school has minimal security in place. Our building has 55 ways to get in, all but two of which are supposed to be locked during the day, however in actuality more are open. We may be getting an ID scanner on the doors, but that is a long way off. We were supposed to get a police officer in the building, but parents started pissing and moaning about the fact that he'd have a gun. He's a police officer for crying out loud, there is nothing wrong with him carrying a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                  ..................parents started pissing and moaning about the fact that he'd have a gun. He's a police officer for crying out loud, there is nothing wrong with him carrying a gun.
                  No nothing wrong with a police officer carrying a gun.
                  The worrying fact is the need for schools to have security, surveillance and cops.
                  Perhaps one day these arse wiggling social reformers may just admit that discipline and correctly administered authority at an early age is the answer.
                  My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wilson
                    The worrying fact is the need for schools to have security, surveillance and cops.
                    Perhaps one day these arse wiggling social reformers may just admit that discipline and correctly administered authority at an early age is the answer.
                    I agree Greg. Nothing like a good kick in the ass when you are a youngster to put you in your place...
                    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Now I don't agree with that. Everyone in my family just did what we pleased for the most part growing up, never really punished much or anything and we never grew up to do drugs or get into fights or shoot up schools. Just some sick people out there. They'll always be there.
                      sigpic
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wilson
                        Agree completely. I'm sure its on the rise everywhere, but especially in this country there seems to be a growing lack of accountability. Everything that happens is someone else's fault. And I do think a lot of that has to do with poor parenting and poor education.

It is beyond F'ed up that when you see something on the news that it almost seems routine.

Comment

It's the country's laws that are f'd up and that lead to all those tragedies. It's only in Canada that I've heard that a kid being spanked by his parents for i.e. not doing a h/w can later call the police and say he/she was abused etc. And then the police will come and can even take the kid away from parents. Now that's messed up. I live in a country where everyone is obsessed with rights and laws...I know because I've been studying law for 2 years. Now all those kids being raised knowing that nothing can really happen to them because they are being protected by certain rights, later feel unpunisheable and comit crimes. Now why don't you hear about stuff like that happening in Europe ? Because their laws are not (yet) messed up. Kids are being raised in discipline and would never do such thing. Another case is that it is not as easy to get a gun there as in US but that's another subject. So my opinion on that is change some laws, make the kids feel less free to do anything and, obviously, increase security at least in high schools, where that kind of crap happenes most often.

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                            Now why don't you hear about stuff like that happening in Europe ?
                            Our laws effed up years ago. You cannot chastise your kids here either. When I was a kid (couple of years ago) my parents would beat the shit out of me if I did anything wrong. Teachers would cane your ass, police officers could give you a slap and drag you home to your parents for another slap if you did anything wrong.
                            Do any of that today and you will be arrested.

We have had cases of criminals being treated with more compassion than victims. Crims here get more help to 'sort thier lives out' than victims.

Bring back corporal punishment!!!!

Comment

Chasen...you are right....most kids within the framework of family, friends etc know about self control, respect etc.
                              And yes there will always be sick people out there........but why are they more prevalent than a decade ago. Shit a good many pub brawls or street fights here in Perth end up in serious injury or worse......no doubting drugs are involved in a lot of the incidents.
                              And I am not advocating iron fisted methods of discipline....but the trouble makers are not reigned in early enough, and it is not always the parents fault, it is a social thing. From school age we are influenced as much by others......and as Patryk says....those that want to step outside the boundaries find no resistance. A few embarrassments along the way may work wonders in changing a kids attitude. Discipline needs to come from teachers, bus drivers, even total strangers. But all to often it is "not my problem".
                              In one generation it has become unacceptable......your generation needs to stop the trend.....good luck.
                              My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Working...
                              X