First Solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Solo

So, yeah a summer of hard work and perseverance has finally payed off for me. I just wish I had start flying a few years ago.

oh well,

/selfgloss

Awesome man, congrats! How'd it go? Most of my students seem to do better without me in the plane.

Comment

Thanks....
      I was a little nervous at first, and when I took the runway the Comm1 radios went out (at least I thought they did, so I went over to comm2 and did a radio check with the tower. After I finished the solo, and I mentioned it, my instructor said the screen goes out sometimes but the radios still work, but I didn't know that, and it was best to play it safe anyway, and that wasn't the first time comm1 in that plane had acted up). Once I started the takeoff roll, the little bit of nervousness I had went away, and it was all business. Did a few circuits around the pattern, and made decent landings, then came in. Only thing I screwed up on was I was supposed to go left traffic once, instead of the normal right traffic, but for whatever reason I missed the call. After I did my last landing, the tower said I did a good job, so I guess it went about as good as it possibly could. Also, nice climb performance with only one person on board

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
        Thanks....
        I was a little nervous at first, and when I took the runway the Comm1 radios went out (at least I thought they did, so I went over to comm2 and did a radio check with the tower. After I finished the solo, and I mentioned it, my instructor said the screen goes out sometimes but the radios still work, but I didn't know that, and it was best to play it safe anyway, and that wasn't the first time comm1 in that plane had acted up). Once I started the takeoff roll, the little bit of nervousness I had went away, and it was all business. Did a few circuits around the pattern, and made decent landings, then came in. Only thing I screwed up on was I was supposed to go left traffic once, instead of the normal right traffic, but for whatever reason I missed the call. After I did my last landing, the tower said I did a good job, so I guess it went about as good as it possibly could. Also, nice climb performance with only one person on board
        Nice, sounds like you dealt with the radio issue well. Flying around the pattern is not the time to be messing with a radio when you have one that you know is working perfectly. I remember my first solo. After I finished the runup I remember asking myself if I really wanted to do it. Before you know it you'll be sending your own students up to solo. Happens so quickly.

Comment

Wow Paul, congrats!

Thats awesome! I can only imagine the feeling.

I can't wait until I solo, I've been offered a job on the spot by rabbit aviation when I do. But I doubt it'll be anytime before May.
          sigpic
          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Congrats on the solo.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
              I've been offered a job on the spot by rabbit aviation when I do. But I doubt it'll be anytime before May.
              In New Zealand you need to have your commercial pilots licence to fly for reward, I thought the same thing applied in the states?

Congrats Airbus_A320. What aircraft did you solo in? I did my first solo in a Piper Tomahawk.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

M man, I did mine in a Cessna 172R.

It really is a great feeling, and a great sense of accomplishment, as you know you have done something and have worked hard, otherwise, you wouldn't be there.

Comment

Congrats
                  You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Sweet, Congrats!
                    I turned crosswind at about midfield on my first one by accident. December weather with one person on board, but I didn't think I'd hit 400 AGL at the middle of a 5000ft runway.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      Awesome man, congrats! How'd it go? Most of my students seem to do better without me in the plane.
                      My son told me the airplane flew much better after removing the flight instructors weight.
                      My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

Comment

Originally posted by atcvector
                        My son told me the airplane flew much better after removing the flight instructors weight.
                        That's correct. A little weight does make quite a difference, especially in a light aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Messerschmitt Man
                          In New Zealand you need to have your commercial pilots licence to fly for reward, I thought the same thing applied in the states?
                          Rabbit Aviation does refueling services at my local airport. Its actually not a flying job, but that would be awesome, if only it were legal.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                          X