Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gits and Pipsqueaks in 1984

DAL,

For the record, I do not for a minute question your banning. If he posted inappropriate pictures etc, then you have your process to follow, which is fine. I am fully aware said person was not banned for the insult.

However, someone here had the threat of sanction (whether that may be warning, banning or whatever) put on them, for calling you a pipsqueak, however there was no threat of sanction (eg warning) for others calling the said person an "old git".

Either using a mild insult as such is an offence worthy of said "warning of sanction" or it isn't. Someones history has no relevance in whether they have broken a rule, only on the appropriate sanction given if they do.

Threatening him for calling you a pipsqueak does nothing but bait him into further action.

Either that mild insult is enough to be threatened with sanction or it isn't. Its not some rules for some, some rules for others.

Some are more equal than others it appears.

If others disagree, by all means say so. I just don't like seeing some members (even if they are a pain in in the backside) treated differently to others because of personal disagreements and revenge.

Comment

Love the picture!

Comment

Not knowing who got banned (and it doesn't matter) I think most of us recognize that insulting someone on the Internet can turn into quite a mess as you don't know whether it was said in jest or not (or with a good dose of sarcasm).

I almost lost one of my best friends because during a conversation on MSN I said something that he took as a great insult and he responded with a HUGE insult. So if two people who have known each other for years and are great friends misinterpet what is typed online guess what happens to two people who barely know each other and may not have the same first language.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
          Not knowing who got banned (and it doesn't matter) I think most of us recognize that insulting someone on the Internet can turn into quite a mess as you don't know whether it was said in jest or not (or with a good dose of sarcasm).

I almost lost one of my best friends because during a conversation on MSN I said something that he took as a great insult and he responded with a HUGE insult. So if two people who have known each other for years and are great friends misinterpet what is typed online guess what happens to two people who barely know each other and may not have the same first language.
          Agree 100%
          That's why internet relationship 'll never come close to a good beer shared in a cool bar...

Cheers
          Alex

Comment

While I do agree that an insult doesn't justify an insult, the banned user in question was at best a troll. He specifically turned other's personal opinions into personal attacks. The git comment was in response to a specific attack, and was by an established, respected member of the forum in defense of another. While I certaintly agree it added fuel to a fire needlessly, I don't feel it is anywhere near the same level as the original comments made by the banned user. That being said, we, as "regulars" on the site, need to make an effort to not sink to the level of the occasional trolls who seek to threaten the harmony of our community here. Peace to all.

Rob

Comment

sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                The git comment was in response to a specific attack, and was by an established, respected member of the forum in defense of another.
                Established?
                Perhaps.
                Respected?
                Heh.
                Anyhow,
                I wouldn't consider it out of the question if Colin sees it fit to give me a warning. I broke the same rule as he, and I deserved it as much as he has.
                However, Rob hit it on the head. Colin is a good guy, and he deserved far more respect than was afforded to him by someone with a clearly 'holier-than-thou' attitude. And, because Colin is a fair deal (at least an age bracker) older than several well known members, I responded to his attack with:
                Also, you must be one ancient Git to call Colin a pip squeak
                So really, I didn't directly call him a git, but said in relation if Colin was a pipsqueak, then he must be a git, because he's no pipsqueak at all.
                I realize he can stick up for himself, but I feel a bit of allegience to my fellow members, especially those who actually do bring something to the forum and make JP a worthwhile place to spend time.

RANT : COMPLETE.
                I'm done with the issue if you are.
                -Mitch

Comment

My point wasn't so much that you should be warned (of course you shouldn't), my point is that it seemed pretty petty for someone with power to be saying call me a pipsqueak again and you'll be out of here.

I also found him a pain in the proverbial, and not exactly a particulally worthy poster.

DAL,

Ban him when he breaks the rules sure, but don't go around using threats for something that is quite petty. Maybe if someone says something a bit edgy, public threats aren't the way to go. Keep the petty disagreements in private.

It might be worth remembering that as a moderator, people are going to from time to time dislike your decisions... at least make them appear professional and unbiased.

My opinion only of course!

Comment

Working...
                  X