Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just went to my 10 Year High School Reunion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just went to my 10 Year High School Reunion.

As I briefly mentioned in another thread, I recently went to my 10 year High School reunion. I was a little bit nervous about going, because I really didn't know what to expect. Friday night I went to an informal gathering at the hotel the reunion was at, and I had a really good time. I was one of the first people to show up that night (and I showed up 2 hours after the thing started), and really had fun looking back on my high school days. If I didn't have to work the next day, I would stayed later than 11:30 pm. The organizer of the reunion talked me into going to the picnic the next day (I really wasn't planning to go because it was about an hour's drive from where I live, and plus I really wasn't interested in seeing people's kids) But after the Friday night gathering, I was not nervous at all. I went to the picnic straight from work, and I ended up hanging out with some of my friends I used to hang out with after I graduated, and was really excited about the reunion that night. The actually reunion was pretty good, except for the really crappy DJ the company that planned the party (the members of my class hired a company to put together the reunion). The crowd ended up being more than originally expected, as many people showed up that night and paid at the door. I had a really great time, and have started to reconnect with a number of my fellow classmates. Only a few in my class really looked differently than they did when we graduated. One girl had lost 150 pounds, and nobody recognized her. One guy that had longish hair is now bald as a cueball. Most of us either gained weight, grew a few inches, got a few wrinkles, many a mix of the three. We had classmates come all the way from California, Arizona, and New York (most of us still live in the Atlanta area, or within a few hours drive of Atlanta). I think a number of us that still live around Atlanta will probably keep in touch (and might end up planning the 15 year reunion), and one girl I thinking of taking out (not all of us in my class are married w/kids). It would be something if the reunion created a few more couples (we have a total of 8 couples who graduated together). I went into this past weekend thinking it would be like the days back in high school, with the "popular" folks and the "unpopular" folks keeping to themselves, but it turned out not to be the case. Only a small number of the people at the reunion didn't remember me (of a class of over 400 students, there were a few people I didn't know back in h.s.), but people were trully happy to see everybody. It was a very good time, and I recommend that when it's time for your high school reunion, go. As I said to one person that night, "That was then this is now. " There were some folks that told their friends they didn't want to go because they had bad memories of high school. Hell, high school was no picnic for me most of the time, but it was the good times I had that made me want to go. High school reunions are more than about who has the best job, the most kids, the hottest spouse; it's about reconnecting with one's past, and how that past has played a role in what you have become. It also gives you the chance to make friends all over again. The friends I lost touch with over the years are now back in my life, and I have the reunion to thank for it.

Cool.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Sweet, i'll keep that in my mind when i leave high school

Comment

Well, with my old high school I think it is still the "'popular' folks and the 'unpopular' folks keeping to themselves". I got word recently that there was a 5-year reunion sometime earlier this summer but I didn't hear a thing! And I still regularly receive correspondence at my parents' address--the same place I lived through most of high school.

Oh well, I'm probably one of a very few of the 92 graduates who (1) has a 4-year college degree, (2) has never been to jail, (3) has no illegitimate children and (4) is not addicted to illegal narcotics. Good riddance to those low life f>>>ers!

Mike
        Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
        lp.org

Comment

Originally posted by Van Hoolio

Oh well, I'm probably one of a very few of the 92 graduates who (1) has a 4-year college degree, (2) has never been to jail, (3) has no illegitimate children and (4) is not addicted to illegal narcotics. Good riddance to those low life f>>>ers!

Mike

Hahaha. I went to high school in Alabama and had my 10 year reunion in October of last year. 'Nuff said, huh? I was one of 92 graduates as well and was one of 3 graduates who left the state of Alabama to go to college. I always say my hometown is like the black hole...most people get sucked in and never get out. So therefore, since I was single, with no kids...good career in Atlanta...I might as well have been an alien from the planet Zorton.

But it was nice seeing some of my old friends I HAVE kept in touch with. Most of the people still seemed the same, though...unfortunately.

Comment

Well, it'll be a little hard for me to attend the 5-year reunion of my class (199, since it'll take place 2500 miles away from here, and I'll be ins school, anyway.

But, hell, I'll be looking forwar for the 10-year reunion, I'll go, dammit, even if I have to go in the cargo pallet of the plane!!!

A Colombian guy moved by the winds of fate to St. Louis, MO

Comment

great
              Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

Working...
              X