looking for a challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katamarino
    My personal opinion, and of course it may be wrong, is that the US administration are using the Twin Towers as an excuse to clear up many 'problem areas' that they have had their eye on, as well as to convince the American public that 'The War Against Terror' (how unfortunate) is really underway when in reality there is very little that CAN be done.
    Even being a supporter of this admistration yes this is occuring. Hopefully for the sake of this country it won't get that bad. But terror alert levels and TSA "ideas" do absolutely nothing but give people a false sense of security.
    Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

You seem be mistaken as to why I commented about you. I guess you don't see just what a stupid arguement 'They can't have felt anything' was.
      It was not my argument, and I was not mistaken, I know why you commented, as do most of the others. It's o.k. though.

anyway....I guess trying to lighten this one up isn't going to work...

Comment

Fair enough if that's what you were trying, but maybe a thread about the Twin Towers and the most tragic events in history isn't a good one to get giggles on :P Peace

Edit - And leave my panties out of this
        I walked across an empty land
        I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
        I felt the earth beneath my feet
        Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Good thing that I still don't get what that comment had to do with anything in the first place!

Comment

Edit - And leave my panties out of this
            No I will not say anything about "vice versa"... No, I WILL NOT.

Whoops, I just broke my promise to myself.

Comment

As far as I see it, what is tragedy? Millions have lost their lives before in so many different things. I understand that America (along with the rest of the world) is still recovering from 9/11, but do realize that this is an evernt that is not even being fully adressed by many. For instance, MMany, if not most people (myself included) refer to 9-11 as 9-11. Why? You have World War II, The razing of Dresden, The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and other common familiar phrases, and then you come up with 9-11. Isn't 9-11 a date?
              I understand the severity of the events that unfolded that day, and perhaps there has not been enough time to establish a name for that day, but I find it highly irregular to refer to it by a date.

Even WWI was named the Great War immediatly after it, or perhaps even during it. I understand that the war was YEARS long, whereas 9-11 was only a few hours. Also, the rules are different when in war and peace.But if you look at it from an objecttive point of view, I feel that 9-11 was NOT the worst thing to happen to this country.

Just try looking at it as a non-American, without any bias of any kind. With plain, raw data, the numbers give the toll up.

BTW, feel free to attack my arguements, rather than me. Due to the nature of some members of this discussion I feel it is proper to remind us all of that....

Comment

The reason I think it is and will be referred to as 9-11 is because it changed the way everyone lived immediately. Life was different b4 and is different after that one day.

Comment

Moving on - WHAT is the logic of putting Month then Day then Year? Surely Day then Month then Year, ie ascending magnitudes, is far more intuitive...?

Comment

Cuz we can.
                    We're just wierd like that.

Comment

I fully agree with Kat...but not here...9-11 should be 9-11 since our police is number is 911. As a student who has to describe the symbolisms of catastrophes, I can assure you that 9-11 will make it easier for future generations of school goers to have easier work

Comment

Why not Year/Month/Day ?

If someone were to ask you what today's date is, would you answer 14 August 2003?

or

August 14th, 2003?

Most everyone replies in the Month, Day, Year format, thus 9-11

Comment

Most everyone replies in the Month, Day, Year format, thus 9-11
                          Most everyone in America.

Not anywhere else, but to each his own.
                          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Just curious T, when spoken, how would you say today's date?

Comment

I'd have said 14th August!

Comment

I'd say "Heute ist der 15. August 2003." which is "Today is the 15th August 2003." in English.

Comment

Working...
                                X