Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is just cool - 747 on the flightdeck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is just cool - 747 on the flightdeck.

Near the end, when ATC asks him to climb to FL130....why does he manually increase the power? Why doesn't he use the auto-throttles?

**Could this be put in the briefing forum?**
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Cool indeed.
    why does he manually increase the power? Why doesn't he use the auto-throttles?
    Could be wrong, but I don't believe that A/T had been engaged at all throughout the video.

Comment

Star Alliance, the Autothrottle is engaged for the entire flight time. It is engaged when he presses the TO/GA switches on takeoff (about the time he calls Max Thrust).

Cam, he isn't manually pushing the thrust up, he is just "guarding" the thrust levers as the A/T increases the thrust. For most airlines, it is a requirement to guard the thrust levers whenever they are commanding a significant thrust change (You can see the F/O's hand on them when they reduce thrust to climb thrust at Flaps 5, and then the captain's hand on them when it increases to climb above 6000).

Basically, his hand is resting on them, but he is supplying no pressure.

Comment

I said I could be wrong, and I was.
        Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Interesting, thanks MCM

Comment

For the record, "FLxxx" doesn't start until FL180.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
              For the record, "FLxxx" doesn't start until FL180...
              In the US, that is

Comment

The second half of that video is even cooler... they fly the IGS13 at Kai Tak. I've got it at home on VHS somewhere.
                Trump is an idiot!
                Vote Democrats!!

Comment

In the US FL (Flight Level) starts at 18000ft which is the transition height there.

In Europe the FL start between 3000ft - 7000ft. I havenīt seen any below or above mentioned alt.
                  Best regards

Peter Lund

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lund
                    In the US FL (Flight Level) starts at 18000ft which is the transition height there.

In Europe the FL start between 3000ft - 7000ft. I havenīt seen any below or above mentioned alt.
                    I stand corrected.

Comment

While the plane is on the ground, do buildings and such interfere with the weather radar? I noticed as he climbed out it didn't change much until he made the turn.

Also, what is the sweep and (vertical range of the radar, can't remember the term). What is it's max. distance?

Comment

^Any pilots out there? AJ?

Comment

The weather radar just interprets what its pointed at, but if you have it aimed up (which is logical seeing thats where you are going) you won't see them. Its not so much buildings as the sea/terrain. That is what you will see.

As to the performance parameters, well that entirely depends what model they have installed, so can't really say!

We operate them so that the "Ground returns" sit at about 80nm, so any weather that penetrates into that is real weather, and possibly worth avoiding.
                          So the practical range for the way we operate them is 80NM, although the returns stop at about 160nm which is more likely the published distance.

I can add more after I get home and read the manual again

Comment

Working...
                          X