Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Upgrading my PC to Windows Vista

Hi all,

My sister has just got a new laptop for Christmas complete with Windows Vista - if I put the "Operating System - Recovery DVD" into my Windows XP PC, would it work? I.e. would it successfully upgrade my PC?

On the recovery CD it states; "This DVD allows you to restore the operating system on your Fujitsu Siemens Computers system. Warning: All data, applications and settings will be deleted. For the recovery you will also need the "Drivers and Utilities" or "ServerStart" CD/DVD."

My PC is not a Fujitsu Siemens one, but I don't think that matters right? Also, the laptop didn't come with the Drivers and Utilities and/or ServerStart CD/DVD mentioned on the recovery disk, doesn't that matter?

Regards.
    DTVAirport

Although you MAY be able to install Vista on your PC, it will not pass any validation and the upgrade will fail (assuming you will use the Vista serial number from the laptop).
    “If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, it's OK. But you've got to shoot for something. A lot of people don't even shoot.”
    Confucius

Comment

Hi Chris,

I don't know about all that other stuff but I do know this: I got a new PC a month ago that came with Vista. I had to go out an buy new versions of things like Adobe Elements and Starry Night (a virtual sky program for astronomy). The versions I had were not compatible with Vista.

Take care,
      Brad

Comment

I have "Vista" installed on my new laptop and i want to upload to XP to it. All i know is Microsoft was smoking something serious when they came up with Vista.

IMHO Vista sucks
        Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
        http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

To counteract everything that has been said here; Vista is easily cracked (easier than xp IMO). You can always dual boot if you want the best of both worlds. Torrents will get you all the latest versions of software for free that way only very occasionally will a program not work on vista at all.

Comment

So far I've had no real problems with Vista. But I wouldn't try loading it onto another PC/Lap Top without a pukka disc. There again, I know little about operating systems and leave that to the experts ( as in has-been and drip under pressure!)

But I did have to upgrade Elements in order for it to accept my D200 RAW files, although that may have been just V.4 being arsey! Everything else seems to work fine though and I've only upgraded Office because I felt like it.

Andy

Comment

I've tried in the past to do what DTV proposes i.e. use a system recovery disc for one computer on another and it never worked. I'm no computer wizard but I believe that the recovery disc somehow "recognises" the computer that you're trying to load it onto and if it isn't the one that the disc came with then it won't play ! Something to do with the BIOS or CMOS or other things that I don't understand and don't delve into.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I did this a while ago it can't be done the recovery disk from you're sisters lappy will have all the drivers for the said lappy on it also for the motherboard etc

Comment

Ok, at this moment in time it doesn't look like a good idea, but keep the replies coming anyway...I might try the dual operating system idea, keep Win XP and have Vista as well.

Originally posted by G-VEIL
                  Although you MAY be able to install Vista on your PC, it will not pass any validation and the upgrade will fail (assuming you will use the Vista serial number from the laptop).
                  I read some of the documentation and it hints I can use the serial number that came with Win XP on my PC.
                  DTVAirport

Comment

Downgrading from Vista to XP ( and vice versa) sure won't work at all. Beacause the recovery disk belongs to the system you bought. Probably they flashed an ID into the BIOS and while installing Vista or XP, the ID doesn't compares to the original PC so the installation will halt. PC manufacturers do this always to protect the software from illegal use on other computers.
                    On the other hand, Microsoft doesn't offers an update from XP to Vista, as they did it with earlier operating systems (even when I bought the upgrade from IBM OS/2 3.0 to 4.0 in 1996, for the reduced price of that upgrade I got a full version).
                    So why do you want to get back from Vista to XP?

get FRA spotting informations here:
                    www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Your best bet would be to pay a little extra to have a professional do it instead of yourself, as they know what they're doing. That way you're not to blame if your sisters computer doesn't work right.

This is why I have a Mac, the only real downfalls of a Mac are that there aren't enough programs, and they're a tad on the pricey end. Otherwise installing a new OS is as easy as sending an email, and most everything, application wise, works on the new OS.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740
                        Your best bet would be to pay a little extra to have a professional do it instead of yourself, as they know what they're doing. That way you're not to blame if your sisters computer doesn't work right.

This is why I have a Mac, the only real downfalls of a Mac are that there aren't enough programs, and they're a tad on the pricey end. Otherwise installing a new OS is as easy as sending an email, and most everything, application wise, works on the new OS.

-Chirs
                        That's my job. Installing OS, keep systems running and prevent people from doing things with their system they later would regret....
                        Apple is quite good - the OS, the software, the handling. Last year I was very close to buy an Apple-notebook. But thinking about for weeks, I found, Apple offers less computer for more money I'd have to spend, so I bought a "normal" 17'' Amilo 3667G with 1024 RAM, a 128MB VGA - things I would'nt get in this form by Apple for a price of ca. 1000 Euros.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                        www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Well besides the fact that Vista sucks, installing an OS isn't really that hard to do. If you have an install disk, put it in, boot off the disk, follow on screen prompts and your all set. But I would use a clean install, not that recovery disk.

But since it sounds like you have not a clue, I'd say you should buy Vista and have a pro install if for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DAIRD
                            That's my job. Installing OS, keep systems running and prevent people from doing things with their system they later would regret....
                            Apple is quite good - the OS, the software, the handling. Last year I was very close to buy an Apple-notebook. But thinking about for weeks, I found, Apple offers less computer for more money I'd have to spend, so I bought a "normal" 17'' Amilo 3667G with 1024 RAM, a 128MB VGA - things I would'nt get in this form by Apple for a price of ca. 1000 Euros.
                            Yeah they are a tad on the pricey end, but after using one for all my life I wouldn't even think about getting anything else. They just need to come down in price and more programs need to be Mac compatible.

-Chris

Comment

The recovery disc that comes with the laptop is an OEM license that's supposed to be tied to be the machine it was shipped with, and is different from a retail version.
                              You need to get a retail copy to install on your computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X