Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indian airlines
    ME from India - here - hello!

Two things to watch out for when in India - the Republic day parade, and the Independence day parade. They are rally cool, with a flypast and everything at the end. I missed it this year (this is the first year I've not been in India for Republic day or Independence day).

Duplix, ask ATLCenter about the south, come to me abt the North. Hell, I lived there for 15 years!

Tanuj.
    Great
    Where did you live?

Comment

Duplix,

I lived all over India, but for the most time in Delhi.

Maybe I will do the following by train (sleeper class): Kolk - agra - dehli - jaipur - Goa - kolk. But I could also end up in the south .
      Been there (everywhere), done that!

You will really like Goa. It's the best place in India.
      "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Pshaw! GO to KErala and take one of the state transport buses to Palghat! It's one of the most homely towns in India, but there is a dam there, and they've built this cable car that goes clear over the dam and it's reservoir.

As for sleeper car, if this is your first time, you will have a lot to get to. In my travels to the North, I've found that the trains are typically better in the South. Expect a LOT of beggars on the train. Many will try to guilt you into it by showing some enlarged (or missing) body part. Or better, a large wound that appears to be rotting. DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY!!!

As for the beds, I would recommend you getting a window seat since it is the best way to catch a glimpse of the true India-the one that lives in it's villages. From what I've seen, you're going to Goa.

If you are going to Goa by train, be sure to take the Konkan railways-it is a privatly constructed rail route that cuts along the West Coast of India. There are many, many, many, tunnels and one of the longest rail bridges in India is there. Btw, that train goes all the way to points south to Kerala.

If you want to speed some things up, and have some money to burn, take Rajdhani/Shatabdi train. They typically run a bit faster than the usual one.

From your itinerary, I see you are taking a circular train journey. I think INdian Railways (monopolized and owned by the Govt of India) gives discounts for that. Also, consider an IndRail pass- it offers unlimited train travel for the times specified. It is only for foreign nationals or Indians who live abroad.

DO NOT drink any tap water coming out of ANY public place/train/home. Buy bottled water. Even though many claim that the water is just as pure, there is no way of telling. I've gotten sick from drinking that water, and trust me, it's no fun.

If you can high-tail it out to Mumbai, then you've re-entered my turf I believe Jaipur-Goa puts you thru Mumabi, but I am not sure. If you ca, visit VT (Victoria Terminus). It has been renamed Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, and it is one of the rail stations that the Brits made. It is one of INdia's largest rail station. DO NOT GO THERE DURING RUSH HOUR! Any major city during rush hour will treat you with LA- traffic in 90 degrees with smog, grime and dust. And no sane drivers are ever on the roads. So don't bother. Also, there are metro trains in Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata, and some other ones. Kolkata has india's only underground subway, so give that a try. Don't go to any beaches in Mumbai if you are going to Goa!

Oh, the metros! You will not be able to get in the train during rush hour. So many people take the train, people will hang out of the doors, etc. In fact, you can't see the train at some stations because of the crowd. So don't take that. A taxi ride from South Bombay to Central Bombay can take upto 3.4 hours (distance: 20 kms) during rush hour. So in short, if you're going anywhere for dinner, it had better be walking!

Try and get to ISKCON near Juhu beach. It is a temple in india that serves some of the best food. Also, get some Bombay Bhel Puri from one of the street vendors. Feel free to buy stuff from the street sellers, since that is usually a bit clean. You don't have to step into a restaurant for a snack.

I am assuming you are non-vegetarian. This may come as a challenge to you in some parts of South India, since much of the population is vegetarian. There are many restaurants that carry a 'Vegetarian' sign. In Mumbai, you'll find things a bit easier. Don't expect to find beef or pork in many places due to religiuos taboos. Also, don't assume anyone you see in India is a Hindu. Some religious minority groups are pretty touchy about it. If you need more clarifications, feel free to PM me or post on this thread.

ATLcenter

Comment

Congrats!
          CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

In my travels to the North, I've found that the trains are typically better in the South
            Disagree

Expect a LOT of beggars on the train. Many will try to guilt you into it by showing some enlarged (or missing) body part. Or better, a large wound that appears to be rotting. DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY!!!
            TOTALLY AGREE!!!!! They will fleece you like anything. Give them a paisa and you'll soon find your wallet considerably lighter, and a big headache on your head.

As for the beds, I would recommend you getting a window seat since it is the best way to catch a glimpse of the true India-the one that lives in it's villages.
            Yeah, a window seat is excellent for first timers, but I personally prefer the top seat. You get to sleep on top at night, and sit on the bottom during the day.

If you want to speed some things up, and have some money to burn, take Rajdhani/Shatabdi train. They typically run a bit faster than the usual one.
            The rajdhani and Shatabdi are India's best trains, only they don't travel to all places. The rajdhani express is a fully a/c train - you'll love it. And it isn't even all that expensive, if you don't travel first class.

DO NOT drink any tap water coming out of ANY public place/train/home. Buy bottled water. Even though many claim that the water is just as pure, there is no way of telling. I've gotten sick from drinking that water, and trust me, it's no fun.
            Yeah, this is especially true for foreign tourists. Don't drin water that is not within a sealed bottle, or that has not been given top you by somebody you trust. The safest water in India is Bisleri, followed by Aquafina(by pepsi) and another one by Coke, the name i'm forgetting.

Also, get some Bombay Bhel Puri from one of the street vendors. Feel free to buy stuff from the street sellers, since that is usually a bit clean. You don't have to step into a restaurant for a snack.
            Yeah. Street food is extremely safe, and clean, and very very tasty, specially bhel. However, one word of caution, don't have anything with green chutney if it's raining, and if the bhel from a street seller in bombay costs more than Rs. 20, kick him in the ass, because he's trying to fleece you.

I am assuming you are non-vegetarian. This may come as a challenge to you in some parts of South India, since much of the population is vegetarian. There are many restaurants that carry a 'Vegetarian' sign. In Mumbai, you'll find things a bit easier. Don't expect to find beef or pork in many places due to religiuos taboos. Also, don't assume anyone you see in India is a Hindu. Some religious minority groups are pretty touchy about it. If you need more clarifications, feel free to PM me or post on this thread.
            Non veg food is not really a problem, just you won't find it in too many places in the south. In the north/east, it's abundant. Speciality food in goa is seafood, and same in kolkata. Kolkata also has a wide variety of non-veg food. try the Kathi Kebab if you ever get the chance.

Beef may not be available in local restaurants, but you'll find it at any restaurant in a 5 star/4 star hotel.

Tanuj.[/code]
            "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

Comment

Whats the difference between Pakistan and a pancake?
              I dont know any pancakes that have been nuked by India.

Simpsons reference, I know I know.

Anybody ever watch the Clerks cartoon where they flashbacked to when they worked at the Quick Stop in India? Very funny.

Anyways it's good to see Britian losing control over colonies. After all, they lost control of us and look at us now. (USA). I have a nice picture of an Air India 747 somewhere that my dad took. I need to find it.
              It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Comment

I dont know any pancakes that have been nuked by India.
                I don't even know of any country that has been nuked by India!

Comment

I saw those commuter trains in India on the amazing race. They all kept pinching the white girls' asses :P .
                  The Ohio Player

Comment

Originally posted by Soku39
                    I saw those commuter trains in India on the amazing race. They all kept pinching the white girls' asses :P .
                    I'd like to see a train pinch someone's ass...

Comment

ATLcenter, Tanuj, thkns for the advise. It will be very helpfull.

Do you happen to know anything about malaria and other diseases/parasites? Most information I have is rather simplified. I am taking nivaquine+paludrine as prophylaxis.
                      Are there any other places/sites in india I should visit?
                      And what about thieves on trains? Is it enough if I lock my bag down when asleep, or do I really have to close it with a lock it people cant take anything out?

That's all for now
                      Tim

Edit: typo

Comment

Duplix, you've reminded me of something to watch out for:

LOCK YOU BAGS AS SECURLY AS POSSIBLE!!!

The trains are extraordinarily public; in sleeper class, you won't find even a door to each room. there are somewhat weak chains at the underside of the lower berth, but that is all I've seen. Also, this brings up another good point:You must get a window seat, cuz then you'll get the lower bunk beds, and then you can phyically touch your bags at night and be sure they are there.

I have seen countless people to wake up one morning and realize that their passport, money, jewelry, clothes and walkman and thier 54 CD's have mysteriously vanished. So be very cautious of train theft.

Another thing to watch out for (though I've never seen it personally happen) is that people in your little room will offer you some fruit of a snack, mdrink, etc. They drugged it, and at the next stop, they'll take your things and run. Of course, I'm assuming that is pretty rare....but I dunno

I'm not too sure I know much about vaccinations-I've carried an Indian passport for many, mnay yrs, and never needed one. But do watch out for HORDES of musquitos. Many sewers are out in the open, with no cover. So mousquitos are rampant.

And another thing: If you plan to utilize the trains a lot, A railway timetable won't hurt. Be sure to get an All-India timetable though, cuz you seem to be travelling accross a lot of the country. There are several railway 'districts' in India, and all of them get their own timetables out too.

So for instance, if you buy a Northern Railways timetable, you won't find any trains going from Bombay to Goa. OR if you get a Western Railways timetable, no local train trips around Kolkata will be shown. So just get the Indian Railways Trains at a Glance thingy. Shouldn't be more than 30 Rs.

As for any other sites, if something seems interesting, stop there. Trust me, you will. If you plan to go by roads, take how long you will think it takes, and then double it. Ive been on 48 km long bus routes that take 2-3 hours. Of course, it was rainy season....which you have managed to dodge a bit.

Also, I have two more places to nominate for your trip:

Bangalore, Karnataka: This is India's 'Green city' and offers several fun things to do. You can see BLR's hi-tech city, which is not too amazing, but an Ok drive. Go to Lal Bhag and Cubbon Park, which are HUGE parks/botanical gardens/green houses. It's also a nice city. It gets a bit cold though, because of the elevation. There are also several lakes there all around the city. bangalore also has air service, which has Indian Airlines and Jet Airways.

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh: This was INdia's hi-tech city. It is an interesting place, becuase it is where two religions clash: For centureis it was held by muslim kings, and it was finally annexed to India forcefuly? and is now a city. It has attractions like Charminar, and golconda fort. There are several interesting sites around Hyderabad. Hyderabad (HYD) also has a large lake:I forget the name, but it is a beautiful lake, and most people just refer to it as 'the lake'. If you can, go to that lake at bnight, and drive around on necklace road. Nacklace road is a road that goes all around the lake's edge. When you come to a restaurant called The Nest. Stop there; it is exellant. Also, HYD isa twin-just across the lake is Secundrabad, so you'l;l be in an urban area, then a bit rural, and then back in an urban area, and again thru rural, and then back to HYD. So all in all, it is a fun place to visit.

once again, I hope you enjoy your trip! If you need help finding cheap fares, there's this guy down in ATL that Ive seen as low as 650 r/t from the states.

Soku: It's funner to be in there than to watch....

Comment

Excuse me the trains didn't do the pinching, all the Indians on them did. I'm sure a man of your great intelligence could have filled that in.
                          The Ohio Player

Comment

Damn, that takes the fun out of that visual.....

Comment

That was nearly as good an image as the little 747 typing on a laptop!
                              I walked across an empty land
                              I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
                              I felt the earth beneath my feet
                              Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Yeah, soku, I watched that episode of the Amazing race as well. Those were not the Indian railways trains, they were the local municipality trains in Bombay - ONLY in Bombay. Nothing of the sort ever happens on Indian railways trains.

Duplix, while whatever ATLCenter said was true, to some extent he's trying to scare you as well. :P

Locking your bags is essential, and getting a bottom berth is also helpful, but it's not like countless people wake up one morning and find all their stuff gone. Maybe he's talking abt Southern Railways trains. I have travelled far over 50 times on Northern/Western Railways, and never ever had even a toothbrush stolen from me.

Another thing to watch out for (though I've never seen it personally happen) is that people in your little room will offer you some fruit of a snack, mdrink, etc. They drugged it, and at the next stop, they'll take your things and run. Of course, I'm assuming that is pretty rare....but I dunno
                                Never heard of anything such happen in my entire life. Maybe it happens on the southern Railways trains, but if you travel on respectable trains such as the Rajdhani/Shatabdi, I can guarantee 99% that the person sitting next to you will not be a crook waiting to drug you and then rip you off.

Watch out for mosquitoes, some places more than the others. This is especially important for foreign tourists. Always carry mosquito repellent. Delhi does not have too many mosquitoes, but Kolkata has quite a few. So it's not like every place has hordes of mosquitoes, but yeah, just werar mosquito repellent and you should be fine. And if you're inside a house/restaurant/hotel, you shouldn't worry about mosquitoes. It's only in the open, near sewers etc that you'll find them.

I have lived in Bangalore for 2 years as well, so I can second that nomination. Possible India's safest, cleanest and most upcoming city, Bangalore is one place you must go. While Cubbon Park is mainly a kiddie park (atleast quite a bit of it), it also has large open grassy areas, which you can go and visit one evening. Try the peanuts that the vendors sell. They are rosted peanuts in a paper cone, and they are delicious, not to mention super cheap. Depending on the size you choose, they can cost Rs.3, Rs.5 or Rs.10.

Comment

Working...
                                X