No announcement yet.

HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY, INDIA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I applied for this, I was given the choice between IIMB and IIMC. I guess I took calcutta because it sounded the most "Indian"

Comment

Lol...while it may have sounded that I was trying to scare you, much of the railways info I gave you was based on stuff printed in the timetable themselves (the drugged food bit and the theft o' luggage stuff). I have heard of people get robbde, but it's never happened to me personally. My dad almost lost his passport, visa, etc when some one stole it all near Dlehi, but he caught the guy with his bag getting off the train, the theif was ahem...aprehended.

If I scared you, I didn't mean to scare you...just giving the worst case scenarios. Well, I guess the mousquitos are suttin to watch out in the backwaters of the South where I am from...

Course you won't travel Rajdhanhi/Shatabdi express trains the whole way thru! ou should perhaps be stuck in Sleper class trains for a LONG while on your jorneys.

Yeah, soku, I watched that episode of the Amazing race as well. Those were not the Indian railways trains, they were the local municipality trains in Bombay - ONLY in Bombay. Nothing of the sort ever happens on Indian railways trains.
      Actually, several other Indian cities ahve suburban lines-including Chennia and the other cities I listed. They are MUCH less crowded that Bombay's though.

So try and head over to Bangalore, it's worth every cent (paise)!

Btw, just to clear any questions you have, this Southern Railway-Northern railway is just a management thing. If you book a ticket from Delhi (NOrthern railways?) to Bangalore (southern Railways), you won't have to change trains to change rail zones-you stay on the same train.

Also, if you can take the 2 tier AC coach on the train atleast once-their cutlets are good! Oh, and whether you buy the train food or not is upto you, many people pack their own, some people order on the train. In sleeper class, don't expect full time waiters, etc...the dude asks you if u want a meal....if you want veg/non veg and then he comes back a fter a while with the meal. End o story.

So I hope you enjoy you trip to India, and please, try to get away from the dirt and grime of the cities.....I think most people who visit india come in a city, lok thru the city, and believe all of India is like that...just a mere 50 kms from Bombay will reveal so much more than just a local train line and a concrete jungle.

AND TAKE PICTURES!!!!!!!

Comment

No, you are not scaring me. It is better to expect the worse than get robbed... I guess I'll buy a decent lock and a small chain (but those can be bought at train stations right?).

I am taking a digital camera with me, so pics should not be any problem. Only thing I am worried about is the cam gets stolen while I am asleep on a train

As for the air travel: I am not living in the states, so cheap fares from the there wont do me any good . I am flying BA through LHR. It was not the cheapest ticket available, but I got it a student price (STA, fare class o) with flexible conditions. Cheaper carriers were RJ (not really an option, as there are pulling out of BRU in october) and BG (I really considered this one).

Another question: what reputation does IIMC have in India? Does it have the reputation to be a easy/difficult school?

Tim

Comment

Tim,

Buy a decent lock and a small chain, but I suggest you buy it outside the station at some other general store kind of shop. I can tell you what happened with me once, I was travelling on a Train from Delhi to Pondicherry, and bought a chain and lock at a station. It worked fine. However, just as we were about to reach Pondicherry, one of my friends found that he had lost his key, so I tried opening his suitcase with my key, and it opened - so I don't think the ones at the station are very reliable.

Pics are not a problem, except at airports. Photography at Indian Airports and over Indian Airspace is NOT allowed. Be very careful, they are quite strict about this rule. While sleeping, if you leave your camera outside, then chances are it may get stolen (maybe not in rajdhani/shatabdi). Best is, when you go to sleep, keep it in your handbag.

All the IIM's in India are top notch management institutions, the best in India, and Internationally recognized. My father did his post graduation from IIMB. And I'm sure any of the other IIM's is just as good. It's a great place to do management.

Tanuj.
          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Yeah, the few pics I have of Indian airports are all really poor condition (night, thru glass or a plane window).

Btw, Tanuj, I have a question: How lavishly is Divali/Diwali/Deepawali celebrated in Kolkata? I spent a Diwali near Bhopal once, and the fire works spread for days...just wondering if Tim is in for a sight or not..

Comment

I never lived in Calcutta, I just went there for a 2 month holiday, and that was not near Diwali.

But I'm sure Diwali is celebrated as usual in Calcutta as in the Rest of the country (atleast the North and the West).
              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

I am flying to calcutta tomorrow
                Wish me luck

Tim

Comment

BEST OF LUCK DUPLIX....

Comment

Very humid over here and about the worst traffic I saw in my life. crossing a street is suicide. But Im doing quite good. I like it out here.

Comment

Working...
                    X