• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer v. Car

Did up a Mac Pro today. $19,240

Priced up a VW Rabbit. $20,175

Interesting world we live in.

Mac Pro

I don't like how apple is so proprietary. I want to be able to build my own computer and just put on the OS....
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Originally posted by Cam

I don't like how apple is so proprietary. I want to be able to build my own computer and just put on the OS....
    But its Apple's intellectual property, so they can do with it as they please. That's just how it goes in a (relatively) free market.

Comment

I'd buy one if I had the money...
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
        But its Apple's intellectual property, so they can do with it as they please. That's just how it goes in a (relatively) free market.
        Intellectual property of what? When I look at the hardware it looks like general hardware you would buy in a computer store. Hard drives, RAM, and nVidia and ATI graphics cars. The connectors for the monitors look to have standard DVI inputs. I would like the option of buying just the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
          I'd buy one if I had the money...
          As much as I complain, I would. They are nice systems. And VISTA is a real draw back for me. I don't like it at all.

Comment

Even if I had the money, I'd never pay that much for a PC. For that price, I could build an Uber-computer with terrabytes of space, Gigs of RAM, have different OS to choose from, getting more safety/cleanup programs than even Apple could provide, and could still get myself a nice cheap compact car.

Comment

It's not a PC, that computer is designed for business. High end video editing, high end photo processing. If someome buys that for everyday use they need to be shot.
              Tanner Johnson - Owner
              twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                Even if I had the money, I'd never pay that much for a PC. For that price, I could build an Uber-computer with terrabytes of space, Gigs of RAM, have different OS to choose from, getting more safety/cleanup programs than even Apple could provide, and could still get myself a nice cheap compact car.
                Yeah, no kidding, that's just ridiculous.

Macs have always been way over priced compared to their PC counter parts. I really don't see what the big deal is with them. I guess if they are "easier" to operate for the average bear that doesn't take time to learn about tech, that's why people get them. I for one would rather have something that I can configure however I want, and have lots of programs for, than a computer that's sealed shut with a few programs made by Apple and is way overpriced. But hey, most people don't know the difference between a graphics card and a CPU, and Macs look "hip", so they buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                  Intellectual property of what? When I look at the hardware it looks like general hardware you would buy in a computer store. Hard drives, RAM, and nVidia and ATI graphics cars. The connectors for the monitors look to have standard DVI inputs. I would like the option of buying just the OS.
                  The OS is definately their intellectual property. If they don't want to sell it to you without the hardware, they don't have to in this market.

Comment

^I know, but I want it!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                      ^I know, but I want it!
                      If only life were that simple...

Comment

Hey you can get a new car for $2,500...

Comment

Originally posted by JSchraub
                          Hey you can get a new car for $2,500...

http://jalopnik.com/343003/the-2500-...eiled-in-india
                          Calling that thing a car is a bit of a stretch-glorified golf cart would be more appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                            Calling that thing a car is a bit of a stretch-glorified golf cart would be more appropriate.
                            Nothing wrong with a golf cart
                            You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Originally posted by Cam

With that money I would buy either one of these

or one of these

Then add a new can, and make a few modifications. Not that the first machine needs it, it already hits close to 150HP
                              You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Working...
                              X