X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flyboy2548m
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE
    Exactly!... Just like there's a big difference between a fully flared J3 cub on a runway and a twin making an emergency landing between houses and tree lines, and a 172 on a plowed field.

Actually I am aware of 737 and DC-9 operations on dirt runways and have seen pictures in flying mag!

Hey, always enjoy your stuff!
    FWIW, the Soviet (and now Russian) Air Force routinely operate the An-124 off grass.

Leave a comment:

• z740
    replied
    Originally posted by JSchraub
    ROFL that dudes signature takes up 75% of his post
    Yeah, we know! It's only a matter of time...

-Chris

Leave a comment:

• JSchraub
    replied
    ROFL that dudes signature takes up 75% of his post

Leave a comment:

• AndyToop
    replied
    Originally posted by Multiman
    High enough to cause the LMG to shear through the wing. I guaranee you that ATC should get a medal for having to work with that monster off the end of the runway for a few days.
    Why?
    27L takoffs 27R landings is a standard config for Heathrow. The runway was back in use about 4 hours after the incident.

Leave a comment:

• Multiman
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by JordanD
    There's no telling what their descent rate was either.
    High enough to cause the LMG to shear through the wing. I guaranee you that ATC should get a medal for having to work with that monster off the end of the runway for a few days.

Leave a comment:

• JordanD
    replied
    There's no telling what their descent rate was either.

Leave a comment:

• Half Bottle
    replied
    Of course, the 777 ended up in much better shape than the GA twin you're specifically talking about, 3WE.

Leave a comment:

• z740
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE
    Actually I am aware of 737 and DC-9 operations on dirt runways and have seen pictures in flying mag!

Not quite as big as a T7 though. Until you had brought that up I had also forgotten about those airports.

-Chris

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Originally posted by z740
    There's a HUGE difference between a T7 and a Cessna. If you can tell me of a grass runway capable of landing a T7 then I'll revise my post.

-Chris
    Exactly!... Just like there's a big difference between a fully flared J3 cub on a runway and a twin making an emergency landing between houses and tree lines, and a 172 on a plowed field.

Leave a comment:

• JordanD
    replied
    Is that like a serious question?

Leave a comment:

• z740
    replied
    There's a HUGE difference between a T7 and a Cessna. If you can tell me of a grass runway capable of landing a T7 then I'll revise my post.

-Chris

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    started a topic FAO Brad- Grass Runways

FAO Brad- Grass Runways

Ok just giving you good ole beer-drinking-frat-dorm-floor-whatever-crap.

No anger.

But, why did the BA 777 sink into the mud and tear off it's main gear?

I thought there were these things called grass runways where planes could land and depart?

Working...
X