Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Kilroy how much would it cost to buy a HD, hire a techee to restore the AD.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Kilroy how much would it cost to buy a HD, hire a techee to restore the AD.com

2 HD failures within an hour or so !?????

Chris Kilroy how much would it cost to buy a HD, hire a techee to restore the AD.com posts from the offsite server, and maybe merge them with jetphotos.net.

They could be kept closed. But at least they won't be totally lost forever.

Maybe we could do a money drive or hijack some money going to 3rd world countries.

Any volunteers. Here's my 2 cents.

Come-on, 1 for the gipper .....

I second the idea of restoring it, even for consultation purposes only.

Apart from all the banter, there were lots of useful content there.

I never contributed with useful insight but I can surely say I've learned a lot from the very nice crowd that used to orbit the forum: I'm thankful to them and, obviously, to Chris as well.

Here's hoping that you, Chris, will reconsider the feasibility of even a partial restoration.
    Signature removed by admins.

Comment

depending on the HDD faliure, retreiving data could cost anywhere from 500 to a couple thousand dollars. Truley not worth it in my opinion. And again depending on the failure it may not even be recoverable. I think it would be just easier to start over with a new AD.com forum.

But hey Chris has already decided sooooooo either love JP.net or leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge
        depending on the HDD faliure, retreiving data could cost anywhere from 500 to a couple thousand dollars. Truley not worth it in my opinion. -snip-.
        Worth it in mine: Even only as an archive it holds a lot of wisdom and reference data.

Volunteers could start and restore it from wayback machine, at least up to JUL 2007 status.

Rattler
        AD.info? Rings a bell somehow...

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge
          depending on the HDD faliure, retreiving data could cost anywhere from 500 to a couple thousand dollars. Truley not worth it in my opinion. And again depending on the failure it may not even be recoverable. I think it would be just easier to start over with a new AD.com forum.

But hey Chris has already decided sooooooo either love JP.net or leave it.
          Well, apparently, he made his mind: I am humbly asking him to reconsider.

I cannot subscribe to the theory that the amount of knowledge the AD forums had (from active and inactive posters) would not be worth even a considerable effort to recover it (unless, of course, the severity of the crash prohibits it).

Not being rich (or anywhere close to it, unfortunately) I would not be able to fund it all by myself but I'd surely be willing to financially support a serious recovery operation with *some* money.

I can only do so much: I wish what I could do would show the great amount of appreciation I have for what I've learned from the AD.com folks.

And, I'm not bashing JP's forum: I'm sure it is a nice place to learn as well...
          Signature removed by admins.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Kilroy
            .......these forums (and the others I own) are backed up on three separate machines -- two in the same datacenter, and one far, far away. Daily MySQL dumps also come to my home computer via e-mail. So worry not, your little diatribe will be around, come hell or high water, for years and years to come!

If I understand things, the HD is also backed up on other sites.

Now, if millions of posts and pics are going to be chucked away then I judge that there will be less incentive to do any real technical posts in the future !

Comment

Originally posted by aardvark2zz
              http://forums.jetphotos.net/showpost...5&postcount=10

If I understand things, the HD is also backed up on other sites.

Now, if millions of posts and pics are going to be chucked away then I judge that there will be less incentive to do any real technical posts in the future !
              That's a bit out of context. OP asked what the chance was of this site going the same way. THis site is backed up to another server. AD Wasnt, so there isnt another server to go and get the data from.
              It is worth noting that only the forums have gone. AirDisaster.com is still an active website and the photos/videos/cvr transcripts etc are all still there. WE just have to discuss it over here.
              ADCR
              Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit

Comment

Was the AD.com/forums vBulletin mysql databases on the servers that crashed? I'm guessing so, but if they weren't (or they were recoverable) the AD.com/forums vBulletin database could be imported, see appendix 5 of the vBulletin manual. I imagine that would be a lot easier if we hadn't all re-registered.
                Qualified Investigator: www.airdisaster.com (2006)
                Career Mileage: http://my.flightmemory.com/reubee

Comment

my job hasn't paid me since august and I can barely afford to buy smack right now, but i'll chip in $20 of what I get for selling my body at weekends.
                  Asylum seeker
                  AD.com refugee since 18/01/2008

Comment

I'll contribute through INH.

Comment

Originally posted by ~InsertNameHere~
                      my job hasn't paid me since august and I can barely afford to buy smack right now, but i'll chip in $20 of what I get for selling my body at weekends.

so we have started using dollars in Ox then ?

Comment

Originally posted by L1011
                        so we have started using dollars in Ox then ?
                        I'm translating for those that haven't yet discovered that there's a world outside the US borders
                        (plus my clients often pay me in dollars)
                        Asylum seeker

Comment

Originally posted by ~InsertNameHere~
                          I'm translating for those that haven't yet discovered that there's a world outside the US borders
                          (plus my clients often pay me in dollars)
                          Now that I think about it i realise you've really screwed me with that lousy exchange rate

Comment

Originally posted by Shorrick Mk2
                            Now that I think about it i realise you've really screwed me with that lousy exchange rate
                            hey don't blame me for america's lousy economic performance!
                            Asylum seeker

Comment

As long as it is only the once-so-mighty dollar that puts up a lousy performance......

Comment

Working...
                              X