Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Brother is here and well !! And watch out !!! He's also lost his sense of humor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brother is here and well !! And watch out !!! He's also lost his sense of humor.

A sign of things to come. Closing threads.

E.g. the "Can we get rid of the "classic" JF.N guys ...." thread.

Big Brother is here and well !! And watch out !!! He's also lost his sense of humor. This is the beginning of the fall of JP.net.

1st, it's banning the 7 words.
    2nd, it's closing your threads.
    3rd, it's erasing your threads.
    4th, it's banning you, and then,
    5th, it's "allowing" the HDs to fail .....

Oh the (in)humanity.

It just proves the US's joining of the ranks of China and Russia for privacy violations.

Originally posted by aardvark2zz
    Closing threads.
    Did that come as a surpise to you?
    warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Comment

True enough. Word of advice to the mods: if your goal is to settle things down, locking and deleting threads is likely to have the opposite effect. I recommend allowing things to equlibrate naturally. It probably won't take more than 3-5 days if you stay hands-off. So far, I haven't seen too many mods (not just on this forum) show restraint and judiciousness in wielding power. We'll see how it plays out here.

Comment

Honestly JP.net began to fall as you guys came over....
        greetings,
        Philip

Comment

Tim-berrrrrrrrrrr.......

Comment

While I agree with Halfie to a point, I could see the potential for that one to become a flame war between the two communities. I don't think we need that.

What we're used to at AD is verbal sparring between individual members. There is a difference between that sort of thing and the current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Digger

What we're used to at AD is verbal sparring between individual members.
              If I had to guess, though, Digger, I would say that's also the norm here as well. I think the issue is two-fold: 1) a huge increase in OTF threads and posts; and, 2) a high percentage of those being ad.com-related.

Over time, both of those things will settle down, especially #2.

(Heh, heh, I said #2)

Comment

Originally posted by Half Bottle
                I would say that's also the norm here as well.
                (Heh, heh, I said #2)
                What? norm? Has he checked in?

Comment

No, the only issure with the closed thread was the fact, that it told the old jp.net users to leave the place.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                    No, the only issure with the closed thread was the fact, that it told the old jp.net users to leave the place.
                    It was obviously a joke, though. He was parodying and exaggerating some of the suggestions of what to do with us. Aardvark -- excuse me, aardvark2zz -- has his quirks, but he's not that dissociative.

Comment

We considered this, but as we are mixing two communities at the moment, it is also important to look at it from the other side. For a jp.net regular the joke might be a lot less obvious and he can not know the writing style and humor of a new contributor to the forums. All we are asking for is a little restraint. Give the two communities a chance to get to know each other, before starting jokes that might be wrongly understood.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                        We considered this, but as we are mixing two communities at the moment, it is also important to look at it from the other side. For a jp.net regular the joke might be a lot less obvious and he can not know the writing style and humor of a new contributor to the forums. All we are asking for is a little restraint. Give the two communities a chance to get to know each other, before starting jokes that might be wrongly understood.
                        I understand where you're coming from, but I think the, "but keep the broads," comment should have been a massive tip-off that it was a joke. But, if you think the jp regulars couldn't figure that out, then I suppose it was a wise moderating decision.

What about the locking of Alessandro's thread about el's former naked santa avatar? That one didn't make much sense to me. I've seen many avatars here that are far more sexually suggestive that almost any that were ever used at ad.com. And, in this case, they were just discussing the avatar, not showing it.

On behalf of all of us, we do appreciate your willingness to explain your decision-making process.

Comment

There was a slight missunderstanding of the intention of Alessandro´s thread. It is open again.

Comment

What about the locking of Alessandro's thread about el's former naked santa avatar? That one didn't make much sense to me. I've seen many avatars here that are far more sexually suggestive...
                            The way I read the closing post there, it didn't have anything to do with el's avatar, but everything to do with another discussion of why AD crashed and burned. (Although, that took quite a lot of reading between the lines.) I don't understand what the problem with that one was either. It was obviously (to me anyway) tongue-in-cheek, totally innocuous, and not in any way an echo of the earlier attacks on forum ownership by OP (which is why I suspect that might be a sensitive subject).

That having been said, from an operational standpoint, it takes only a few clicks of the mouse for a mod to unlock a thread. To backtrack, and reverse on one's debatably hasty and misguided decision to lock such a thread requires something more.

On edit, (after reading the additional comment from Seahawk during preview): My compliments to you. Obviously you have the testicular fortitude to not make all your decisions final. That takes more thought, effort, and strength of character than many folks are willing to expend.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Bottle
                              True enough. Word of advice to the mods: if your goal is to settle things down, locking and deleting threads is likely to have the opposite effect. I recommend allowing things to equlibrate naturally. It probably won't take more than 3-5 days if you stay hands-off. So far, I haven't seen too many mods (not just on this forum) show restraint and judiciousness in wielding power. We'll see how it plays out here.
                              Your on thin ice mister...

but he's not that dissociative.
                              What the **** does that mean? Quit using those fancy schmancy words
                              Signature removed by admin.

Comment

Working...
                              X