Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Brother is here and well !! And watch out !!! He's also lost his sense of humor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seahawk
    but in the end it could be a positve thing for both sides.
    I hope so, and am looking forwad to it.

Comment

We considered this, but as we are mixing two communities at the moment, it is also important to look at it from the other side. For a jp.net regular the joke might be a lot less obvious and he can not know the writing style and humor of a new contributor to the forums. All we are asking for is a little restraint. Give the two communities a chance to get to know each other, before starting jokes that might be wrongly understood.
      Seriously (for a brief moment ):

I understand and share (from your POV) your concerns.

But:

---Soap Box Mode ON ---

Imagine for a second the diaster would have happened here and try for a sce to put yourself into the AD.com bunch shoes: Endless hours of effort over years and contribution lost, you suddenly find you warped into a place you dont even know....

The normal reaction for any group in such situation is to

1. negate the disaster, and over-do it
      2. close ranks (ritualized and friendly bantering being a form of that)
      3. point out and "over-size" specific group characteristics that differentiate you from the "others" (that have home turf rights on top)
      4. damage control
      5. get aquainted with the new turf (testing the rules and their limits)
      6. do what you can do best

I guess this will all come back to normal for a forum like this, although I foresee some survivors to drop this forum after the first 2nd and third priorities are done, also i foresee that the ones that stay wont be all on photos...

---Soap Box Mode OFF ---

I suggest giving the group lots of leeway for a week and then - gradually! - tighten the screws again.

Rattler
      AD.info? Rings a bell somehow...

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
        Maybe people wouldn't have to be banned and threads wouldn't have to be closed if you people weren't so damn stupid. There's been more of this than ever in the past 2 days. Ever think of making your own forums again and leaving us alone?
        Sorry if we annoy you, but what you propose is *exactly* what every refugee here would like to do, I guess.

It just cannot be, and we havbe to live with it and adapt.

This goes both ways, though, as by decision of the forum owners.

BTW, nice to meet you!

Rattler

Comment

That is what we do. We give a lot of leeway, especially to the "forced newcomers", however we have to avoid things that could create tension between both groups. And this is not made easier by facts like :

- not every one here is a native English speaker
          - irony is sometimes hard to detect in the written word
          - users do not know each other yet

So a little moderation might be unavoidable.
          Last edited by seahawk; 2008-01-20, 19:50.

Comment

-snip-
            ... So a little (R.) moderation might be unavoidable.
            Kudos to you guys not overdoing it, thanks!

Edit: On 2nds: Tension (between groups) might be unavoidable, but if you think of the two groups as dog packs with a (little, acreddited) brain, things should fall into rituals soon and nobody will get killed over it.

So far it seems the influx of AD.commers has so much impact as activity is much higher (which is to be expected after such disaster) than you guys were used to lately. Might also be a good thing.

Rattler

Comment

Originally posted by GerryW
              How would you have reacted if JP.net would have crashed and the site owner CK would have suggested to you guys to come over to AD.com?
              No idea, but speaking for myself I would not have migrated to another site starting tons of threads as if the closure of a forum was the end of the world and at the same time treat the 'original' forum residents in a very arrogant way. And no, I am not saying that every AD refugee acts this way but this is the general impression I and many others got.

Fact is that our forum is still open and yours is closed - not your fault but also not mine.
              We are open for new members, after all the same interest connects us, but certainly not this way.

So maybe it is time for YOU guys to adapt our 'posting style' instead of introducing yours!

Just my 0,05 cent!
              Last edited by philip; 2008-01-20, 20:06.
              greetings,
              Philip

Comment

Originally posted by philip
                No idea, but speaking for myself I would not have migrated to another site starting tons of threads as if the closure of a forum was the end of the world and at the same time treat the 'original' forum residents in a very arrogant way. And no, I am not saying that every AD refugee acts this way but this is the general impression I and many others got.

Fact is that our forum is still open and yours is closed - not your fault but also not mine.
                We are open for new members, after all the same interest connects us, but certainly not this way.
                So maybe it is time for YOU guys to adapt our 'posting style' instead of introducing yours!

Just my 0,05 cent!
                Hi there. Another Austrian (although now living in South-Africa) on this side.

I don't think anyone of the refugees wants to force their posting style on you, but you have the problem of two different cultures clashing when migrating a long lasting forum into another one even if the topic is in general the same. It might come over that some want to force upon you a different way of posting, humour etc. However, I don't think either that this posting-style is going to change dramatically. It will adapt slowly - most probably from both sides.

I have been a member of ADCom for many years and none of the members there have ever been overly arrogant. So, I think that just went down the wrong way. Granted, we might have taken this opportunity for a free for all to express ourselves but I don't think anyone of ADCom wanted to do any harm or create problems with the original users.

Just give us some time to get to know you guys just as much as you should give yourself some time to get to know us.
                warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                  This was never going to an easy transition . . . Some of us have more patience than others.
                  Indeed, in fact I think if everyone takes a step back and look at the situation properly they'll find that it's going quite well. Now is not the time to go reading too much in what is posted, that will only cause more tension.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hilton
                    Indeed, in fact I think if everyone takes a step back and look at the situation properly they'll find that it's going quite well. Now is not the time to go reading too much in what is posted, that will only cause more tension.
                    That's what I thought as well. It could have gone much worse.
                    warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Comment

Originally posted by el
                      That's what I thought as well. It could have gone much worse.
                      Agreed! I do think this will work out for the best.

What's probably only starting to show is that there are also some very knowledgeable folks who have washed ashore here (along with the generally nutty crowd of refugees!). I'm sure their contribution will be appreciated!
                      One who got away

Comment

Just my 0,05 cent!
                        Clickie linkie: http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63
                        Now Click on:
                        » Discussion

Discussion Forum <---------------<---------------There

Guess what?
                        Per

Ancient Mariner
                        Certified above and below...................sea level.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealAncientMarine
                          Clickie linkie: http://www.airdisaster.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63
                          Now Click on:
                          » Discussion

Discussion Forum <---------------<---------------There

Guess what?
                          Per

Apart from demonstrating that you really know how to deal with fonts and script sizes..... whats your point?

@el: Thanks for replying, you're right - time to wait and see.
                          Last edited by philip; 2008-01-20, 20:48.
                          greetings,
                          Philip

Comment

I think you will find that a month from now, the AD.C'ers can't help but have changed the look and feel of JP.C to some extent and to the JP.Cer's will have moderates the style of the former AD.C group. It will all be for the better. Those that don't think so (from both groups) will move on to new activities.
                            Don
                            Standard practice for managers around the world:
                            Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Apart from demonstrating that you really know how to deal with fonts and script sizes..... whats your point?

I think Per just left the fonts and script sizes as they copied, and the text and arrow he added stayed with the same font and size they were connected to, so that really proves nothing.

His point, I am sure, is that the "Discussion Forum" link at the Air Disasters main page now directs you to this forum.

What do you make of that, Phillip?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X