Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Brother is here and well !! And watch out !!! He's also lost his sense of humor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carlos G.
    I don't believe he will but I do it in short:

He is an engeneer in the transportation industry and last year was sent to the Middle East (Lebanon and Jordan) to help companies there to put up production lines of buses, I think. He was in Beirut when the Hizbollah vs. Israel war broke loose and he was caught up right in between that hell. He eventually managed to escape through the syrian border in a bus, and the bus right after his one was hit by a rocket or a bomb, don't recall now these details. I think the Israelis took them for Hizbollah people disguised as ordinary civilians. Pipe than made it to Jordan and from there to his parents home in Germany. We all had days of anguish because he was able to be online from now and then and gave us vivid accounts of what he was going through.
    Hehe, something along these lines ....

Israel tested its pin-point bombing capabilities on us. I had a vivid example of the ugly face of war. Not an experience I wish to anyone.

Iīm no hero, I was freakinī scared, but I didnīt lose my head and made it out of that hell after a week. The community and unity we created in that runaway bus, people of all nationalities as much scared as me, is one of the most pleasant life experiences I ever had. And Iīll never forget that. The necessity and the trouble we went through welded us together. To some of the passengers I have contact until today (one of them was American BTW who was in deep shit on the syrian border and we managed together to bribe his way out of Lebanon).

The random access to ad.com - Israel took most of the communication means out - gave me strength and hope to make it through that journey. People of ad.com were indeed of great help. You wouldnīt imagine how much a simple word of compassion, a friendly cheer-up can motivate you in such a situation.

And this is also the reason why I struggle to dismiss an internet forum like many as "only an internet forum". Thereīs more to it IMHO.

Pipe
    Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Comment

• A touching read Pipe.

Comment

• Originally posted by screaming_emu
        Are you over at Jetcareers too? The passengers calling you guys Aholes sounds like a story I heard over there.
        Yeah I've used that one before lol. I still am ROFLing about it, really. Don't you hate reading a story more than once I didn't mean to X-post. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Rex B
          Yeah I've used that one before lol. I still am ROFLing about it, really. Don't you hate reading a story more than once I didn't mean to X-post. lol
          Oh, no problem with the cross posting. I was just sitting there going "wait...I think I've heard this one before". Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it happened on multiple occasions, which is why I was checking. I'm just finishing up sim training at ASA, so I'm looking forward to all sorts of fun time once I get out on the line...err..I mean reserve.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pipe
            Hehe, something along these lines ....

Israel tested its pin-point bombing capabilities on us. I had a vivid example of the ugly face of war. Not an experience I wish to anyone.

Iīm no hero, I was freakinī scared, but I didnīt lose my head and made it out of that hell after a week. The community and unity we created in that runaway bus, people of all nationalities as much scared as me, is one of the most pleasant life experiences I ever had. And Iīll never forget that. The necessity and the trouble we went through welded us together. To some of the passengers I have contact until today (one of them was American BTW who was in deep shit on the syrian border and we managed together to bribe his way out of Lebanon).

The random access to ad.com - Israel took most of the communication means out - gave me strength and hope to make it through that journey. People of ad.com were indeed of great help. You wouldnīt imagine how much a simple word of compassion, a friendly cheer-up can motivate you in such a situation.

And this is also the reason why I struggle to dismiss an internet forum like many as "only an internet forum". Thereīs more to it IMHO.

Pipe
            oh yeah, I remember that well!
            We were all sitting around with our fingers crossed waiting for you to post for days (well most of us were - i can't speak for Sabre )
            Asylum seeker
            AD.com refugee since 18/01/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by ~InsertNameHere~
              oh yeah, I remember that well!
              We were all sitting around with our fingers crossed waiting for you to post for days (well most of us were - i can't speak for Sabre )
              Glenn was right there with you, I know for sure.

It was actually funny that everybody thought we hate each other. I can only speak for myself, but I cultivate the utmost respect for him as a person. And I would meet him anytime.

Of course, he understands dog shit about american foreign policies (or the lack thereof) and it took him lightyears to figure that Shrub is a complete idiot together with his electorate.

But that pertains to the Pipe & Sabre Show.
              Res Severa Verum Gaudium

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiwi Steve
                We'll try not to shit on anyones dog if you try not to read too much into anything Half Bottle says. (insert smiley here)
                No smiley needed, it's damn good advice, frankly.

Comment

It was actually funny that everybody thought we hate each other. I can only speak for myself, but I cultivate the utmost respect for him as a person. And I would meet him anytime.

Of course, he understands dog shit about american foreign policies (or the lack thereof) and it took him lightyears to figure that Shrub is a complete idiot together with his electorate.

Another of my favorite AD Pipe memories was the time that a highway sign for Dresden contained the words Pipe-Organ, thanks to Derf.

Comment

• To the JP residents: Derf (aka Fred) is one of the best (no, THE best) photographers we had in AD.com. Don't know where he's now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rex B
                      Why? just because I said Memphis
                      Yeah that is the deal.
                      Good to know. I'm in the same boat, but with a different company. Where we're headquartered there are also 3 36/18s and 1 9/27.

Comment

Indeed, what a troubling time it was for me. I mean, I'm with my administration cronies hawking arms to Israel as fast as we can, and I'm secretly praying they miss my commie, pinko, multi-linguistic (except sometimes English) Saxon/Brazilian friend.

Of course, I can only joke about this since he escaped without injury, otherwise, I would have had a tear in my eye whenever I heard the terms PNAC and Stasi.

But really, for those that don't know him, Pipe is good guy who I consider a friend.

Sabre aka Glenn

Comment

• Do I see a new forum meeting coming up in the horizon?

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlos G.
                            To the JP residents: Derf (aka Fred) is one of the best (no, THE best) photographers we had in AD.com. Don't know where he's now.
                            I spotted Derf on here actually with posts in the last few months - hopefully that means we might get to enjoy his company and some of his work again. A truly nice person and an avid aviation enthusiast.
                            ADCR
                            Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit

Comment

• In real life, Derf also had a hard drive crash which wiped out many of his wonderful airplane photoshops. Some, like AmyB with horns or the website owner with a teddy bear, survive elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by aardvark2zz
                                A sign of things to come. Closing threads.

E.g. the "Can we get rid of the "classic" JF.N guys ...." thread.

Big Brother is here and well !! And watch out !!! He's also lost his sense of humor. This is the beginning of the fall of JP.net.

1st, it's banning the 7 words.
                                2nd, it's closing your threads.
                                3rd, it's erasing your threads.
                                4th, it's banning you, and then,
                                5th, it's "allowing" the HDs to fail .....

Oh the (in)humanity.

It just proves the US's joining of the ranks of China and Russia for privacy violations.

You've got 22 posts under your belt, my friend. There's one thing I have learned here at JP since 2003 and that is if you don't like the way things are done, you can find somewhere else to spend your time.
                                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Working...
                                X