Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Other Day Somewhere in the US

Good question.
    warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Regardless of why our oil is under thier sand, the result is that there's an awful lot of our money on top of their sand.

If oil does come from decomposed swamps it is an interesting geology question as to why the oil is under a desert.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE
      If oil does come from decomposed swamps it is an interesting geology question as to why the oil is under a desert.
      That's easy - they were swamps 200-300 million years ago. Plus continental drift.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE
        Regardless of why our oil is under thier sand, the result is that there's an awful lot of our money on top of their sand.

Coal at Svalbard and oil in the North and Barents Sea. Figure it out.
        Per
        Ancient Mariner
        Certified above and below...................sea level.

Comment

Sometime around 1972, Jimmy Carter [remember him] said the US is too dependent on foreign oil, and asked people to drive slower and turn down the heat in their homes. He sat in the pval office wearing a cardigan.

US responded by giving up driving cars. Sadly they gave them up to drive huge trucks and SUVs.

It would help the world crisis IMO if the white house and every building in congress pushed their thermostats down to sixty degrees (F) for a couple of weeks this winter.

Comment

Rising consupmtion is certainly an issue and conservation isn't a bad idea, and apologies if you don't like "typical conservative rhetoric"

But after we turn down the thermostats, what are we going to do about China's huge future oil demand, as well as population growth, etc.

Here's another suggestion, Ban all airplanes (insert many exclamation points).

As Gabe will tell us: Shooting through the air at 500 MPH (even the thin air) causes a good bit of parasite drag, so that you need some fairly thirsty, high-bypass turbofans to pull it....and worse yet, you have to use this wing thingie that has unavoidable induced drag to keep the aircraft aloft....so burn some more kerosine.....

...that's never going to be as fuel efficient as the same folks riding an efficiently-designed train or ocean-liner.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomcevak
              Sometime around 1972, Jimmy Carter [remember him] said the US is too dependent on foreign oil, and asked people to drive slower and turn down the heat in their homes. He sat in the pval office wearing a cardigan.
              Not in 1972, he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy2548m
                Not in 1972, he didn't.
                Apparently he had a lot of power and influence with the American people as Governor of Georgia. On a related note, in 1973 then Gov. Carter appeared on the TV gameshow 'What's my Line' and nobody was able to guess who he was or what he did.
                Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Vnav
                  On a related note, in 1973 then Gov. Carter appeared on the TV gameshow 'What's my Line' and nobody was able to guess who he was or what he did.
                  He can nail together one mean bungalow. At least, so I've been told.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy2548m
                    He can nail together one mean bungalow. At least, so I've been told.
                    God must think so too, because basically the only buildings left standing after a hurricane flattened most of Homestead Fla were those put together by the peanut farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE

Regardless of what today's enviro-crusaders/wackos got a large amount of the population to believe. Climate change does happen on its own, without any help or hindrance from us, and what was a swamp millions of years ago can very well be a desert today, or vice versa. There is also continental drift as stated before. The processes that formed the earth and are still happening, and they aren't going to stop. Climate change will continue to happen weather or not you stop driving your SUV or not. To me it's really quite arrogant to believe that a species that has been around a few thousand years can have a drastic effect on something that has been around for millions of years. When we finally end up wiping ourselves out of existence, everything will continue on as if we were never here.

There is oil in places other than the middle east. Including right off of our very own coastlines. Unfortunately, the same people who complain about having high gas prices and dependence on unstable 3rd world countries, also don't want to have their view ruined by one of those unsightly oil rigs, while they slow roast themselves on the beach. Or they are worried about killing a few fish/deer/termites, or whatever it may be depending on which geographic region you are referring to. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Unfortunately, it seems that saying is very hard to understand for many.

And people can talk about alternative energy from corn, tree bark, horse shit, blah blah blah, etc, etc. Eventually it will probably come to pass, but for the time being we are going to use oil. Even if a source of energy that could effectively replace oil was created/discovered tomorrow, is everyone going to go out and replace/modify everything they have overnight? No. And nothing happens overnight anyway. So I'd rather see some drilling around the US, in Alaska, off the coast, etc than depending on unstable 3rd world countries. Back when most of our infrastructure was developed, nobody whined about the environment, this, that, and the other thing. If we had the attitude we have today throughout history, we would still be living in caves and afraid to start a fire too cook something because it might kill some ants. It's easy to take the moral high road when you already have everything you need, however things do get outdated, and if you don't keep up, you get left behind. And that's exactly what's happening to the US, being getting left behind, and its nobody's fault but our own. There hasn't been a new refinery since the 70's IIRC. And places like China are going to keep advancing, and the more we cry over stupid stuff, the better it is for them.

Here is an interesting article, although a bit dated, but still: http://www.americanfreepress.net/htm..._drilling.html

Either way, that's my opinion on the issue of oil.

Originally posted by Lomcevak
                      And do you seriously believe that the, cardigan didn't come off, and heat didn't go right back up (if it was ever actually turned down in the first place) after the speech? :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320

Here is an interesting article, although a bit dated, but still: http://www.americanfreepress.net/htm..._drilling.html

Either way, that's my opinion on the issue of oil.
                        The article somewhat overplays the risk of the chinese "stealing" the US oil reserves - the longest horizontal well in the world only has a reach of about 7 miles.
                        R O'G

Wisdom does not always come with age; sometimes age comes all on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbi O'Genius
                          The article somewhat overplays the risk of the chinese "stealing" the US oil reserves - the longest horizontal well in the world only has a reach of about 7 miles.
                          I suggest you spend a little while investigating that august publication and its apparent affiliate The Barnes Review; you may discover many controversial opinions. Some might say that the good Rabbi's co-religionists are not held in highest regard by the editors, if you catch my drift...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbi O'Genius
                            Yes, and the first airplane only flew a few hundred feet. The point remains, if we don't keep up, we get left behind.

I suggest you spend a little while investigating that august publication and its apparent affiliate The Barnes Review; you may discover many controversial opinions. Some might say that the good Rabbi's co-religionists are not held in highest regard by the editors, if you catch my drift...
                            And you completely divert the issue... the article I posted was for the factual examples regarding oil drilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                              And you completely divert the issue... the article I posted was for the factual examples regarding oil drilling.
                              It's a question of the source's credibility, which does cut across issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X