• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal
      This is totally true.

I recently priced a Dell (Inspiron) and Lenovo notebook, and both come with Vista by default. They give you an option to choose XP, but you have to add a certain amount! Nuts!

BTW, for what it's worth, the only major computer maker that offers XP as default is Dell with its Vostro Business computer line.

Comment

Rattler, the guy just wanna go on the iNet, and run Quicken, sort'a.

Computers are almost throw-away items now. So buy the cheapest thing available which does what you need, and throw it away when broken.

Now, both Toshiba and Dell sell XpPro machines, just bought one of each lately. Vista is simply NOT ready, and far too much stuffed with useless thing hogging the CPU.

One last thing (note: I must admit i'm anti iWhatever, too expensive, too small market - I write and sell my software so...) why buy an expensive MacWhatever with an Intel chip to run Windows when you can get a real Windows machine for much less? ...and a "Throw-away-clone" for sooooooo much less?

Comment

Originally posted by el
          I don't do games at all, so that doesn't bother me. Neither do I do downloads. Other for work and Internet I don't use it.

Does that mean that I can import my bookkeeping software, which is a really ancient version of Quicken (if that's still around, bought it in 1993 [!!!]) but still works fine for me?
          Quicken still exists.

And you don't need to be afraid of Vista. If your computer has enough harddrive space and Ram it shouldn't be a problem. I have now one of our computers running with Vista and it's no problem at all. Only I miss the old Windows Explorer version.

Comment

Where are all the guys suggesting a Linux-flavoured machine??
            Various distributions have become quite easy to work with nowadays, Ubuntu and Kubuntu, for instance, and Mandriva. I am convinced that Quicken would run on Wine, unless you could find a Linux equivalent that would open Quicken files.

Comment

I want to know what's up with the blackouts, el.
              My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

The only reason I would go with a Mac is for video editing. The Final Cut pro blows Avid out of the water.

Other than that I will stick with PC.
                You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

I had MAC's for years, starting with a MAC Plus in 1989. Ended up with a Power MAC 650. The company converted to Winders based machines in 1996. It was a painful conversion but made the transition successfully.

I found the secret to Vista. RAM RAM RAM. Fill what ever you have with RAM. My Sony VAIO lap top runs Vista premium using a dual core Intel T7250 at 2 ghz anf 4 gig of RAM. It works fine. No hang ups, no crashes (so far).
                  Don
                  Standard practice for managers around the world:
                  Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
                    I want to know what's up with the blackouts, el.
                    In a nutshell: Eskom (the only parastatal electricity provider) has succesfully made a transition in terms of equal opportunity employer (which means all white employees out, all blacks in). Unfortunately, they forgot that to run a company this size some qualification might be helpful (other than being a friend of the president or other politicians).

It emerged a few days ago, that Eskom has made no forward-planning whatsoever (and obvioulsy no investments either) for the past 10 years. This in combination with an economy growing at 6 to 7 % and a huge influx into the middle class by the previoulsy disadvantaged leaves the country with too little energy.
                    warning: this post may contain traces of irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore
                      I had MAC's for years, starting with a MAC Plus in 1989. Ended up with a Power MAC 650. The company converted to Winders based machines in 1996. It was a painful conversion but made the transition successfully.

I found the secret to Vista. RAM RAM RAM. Fill what ever you have with RAM. My Sony VAIO lap top runs Vista premium using a dual core Intel T7250 at 2 ghz anf 4 gig of RAM. It works fine. No hang ups, no crashes (so far).
                      But the trade off is battery reserve, if you are talking a laptop application.
                      It takes power to use that much memory overhead.

Sparky

Comment

Update: Mac Pro is now the cheapest high-end workstation

Just for the sake of an argument...

Rattler
                        AD.info? Rings a bell somehow...

Comment

Working...
                        X